Lots of construction activity on campus during the next few years:

2004 - New Bison Court to be finished in 2005

2005 - New Business Building

2005 - Student Union Expansion

2005 - Alien Technology offices and plant

2006 - Wellness Center Expansion

533 In a row

Default Re: Major campus construction projects

Any word on that new parking ramp they were planning on building here?? I know that und* is planning to build one.
    "Jfufhr dhuis msdjdi asdj."
    - Lou Holtz

UND_Herd Guest

I wouldn't put too much credence into und's parking plans. It has been little more than a pipe dream / punch line for quite a while now. Where that issue is concerned, there's a lot of talk, but I don't think anyone has ever really 'meant' it ($$$,$$$).

IowaBison Guest

They've got permission to bond up to $12 million bucks, so I'd assumed the school is going ahead with it.

What vision! A parking ramp!

What a buy! $19 million (the amount they now want bonding for) for 600 new parking spots (the net number of new spots)!

Anybody good at math, my back of the envelope calculations give me about $32,000 per new parking spot.

At a 5 % return per year that means a student should pay $1600 a year per spot.

UND_Herd Guest

I really hope this thread doesn't degenerate into a discussion about them, but here goes one reply on the issue...

The price tag and how to pay for it is the reason I don't think they'll start any such project. The students there complain all the time about parking - that's fine - everyone does. They complain ad nauseum about the parking nazis, who incidentally ARE the worst and most corrupt I've ever seen in action. This brings in the issue of building a ramp - great, everyone wants one! I remember someone in the planning process saying that, in order to pay for it, they would have to increase parking fees, or sell permits for the ramp alone. I remember how these ideas were not received very cordially :. That scenario is a fight in the making.

I personally think that all of their problems would be solved by simply increasing the parking fees by 15 - 20 dollars and not building the ramp. Everybody would complain for the first year or two, but the whining should stop in time. Fewer people would then buy permits and the lots get unclogged - problem solved.

On a more relevant note, I'm wondering how the new BSA will look when after the inevitable renovation. For expansion purposes, it can eat away at the parking lot a pinch. What are the chances that they might plan on expanding westward, onto sacred territory?

BisBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior
    Lots of construction activity on campus during the next few years:

2004 - New Bison Court to be finished in 2005

2005 - New Business Building

2005 - Student Union Expansion

2005 - Alien Technology offices and plant

2006 - Wellness Center Expansion
    Also the new hotel being built by Maring in 2005 which will be donated to the university later.

Oh yeah, can't forget the new hotel.

So we have:

1) 2004 - New Bison Court dorms (completed in 2005)

2) 2005 - New Business Administration building

3) 2005 - Expansion of Memorial Union

4) 2005 - Headquarters and plant for Alien Technology

5) 2005 - New hotel and suites adjacent to Fargodome

6) 2006 - Expansion of Wellness Center
    "Jfufhr dhuis msdjdi asdj."
    - Lou Holtz

Any idea when the BSA remodel is projected to start?

BisBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bisonranch
    Any idea when the BSA remodel is projected to start?
    I hope any BSA remodel is just a stopgap until a new from the ground up bball arena is built. Hopefully sooner than later.

Hopefully the BSA remodel is projected to start with a good bulldoozing, then a new arena is built on it's place. The BSA did it's job and now it's time to give the bball teams a fresh start in a 1st class D1 facility. Whats the point in throwing 15 million into fixing the BSA when 25-35 million will get you a brand new arena. The BSA needs more then a quick fix it needs a complete overhaul. It needs new lighting, new scoreboards, new seating, and it needs consessions, bathroom, and lockeroom updates. THe BSA needs some major work and even a quick fix would be expensive, whats the point of throwing 10 million(quick fix) into the BSA only to move out ten years later. Hopefully the new arena fails and then NDSU could propose a 1.5 year sales tax extension that would bring about 15 million in and NDSU could come up with the other half.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.