Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Thank you Rich Stevens

Default Thank you Rich Stevens

http://www.bisoninsider.com/gameday.html

"The Truth Is....
    There was a definite arrogance to Bison fans before last Saturday's game. As I conducted my routine pre-game stroll through the tailgating area, the theme of a Bison blowout of the Golden Bears was quite obvious. Not once did I hear anyone say, "Bison by 7" or "this game is going down to the wire folks." I realize that most of the arrogance comes from the extreme enthusiasm of Bison fans, but after listening to the South Dakota State game Saturday night... Geesh. the Wisconsin-Lacrosse victory almost made my skin crawl. Because (both you and I know) Concordia-St. Paul could probably beat Wisconsin-Lacrosse 9 out of 10 games. And folks, this is the problem with the Bison playing DII or DIII competition. On any one given night, a respectable DII or DIII team can reach up and nip the behind of a DI-AA team. It just happens that it was on a rainy night in Brookings, South Dakota instead of inside the Fargodome. So the next time you hear crap spewing out of someone's mouth about how the Bison shouldn't schedule anything other than DI competition. Just turn to them and say, "Wisconsin-LaCrosse 17, South Dakota State 3."

Mr._Bill Guest

Default Re: Thank you Rich Stevens

Quote Originally Posted by 02Bison
    http://www.bisoninsider.com/gameday.html

"The Truth Is....
    * There was a definite arrogance to Bison fans before last Saturday's game. As I conducted my routine pre-game stroll through the tailgating area, the theme of a Bison blowout of the Golden Bears was quite obvious. Not once did I hear anyone say, "Bison by 7" or "this game is going down to the wire folks." I realize that most of the arrogance comes from the extreme enthusiasm of Bison fans, but after listening to the South Dakota State game Saturday night... Geesh. the Wisconsin-Lacrosse victory almost made my skin crawl. Because (both you and I know) Concordia-St. Paul could probably beat Wisconsin-Lacrosse 9 out of 10 games. And folks, this is the problem with the Bison playing DII or DIII competition. On any one given night, a respectable DII or DIII team can reach up and nip the behind of a DI-AA team. It just happens that it was on a rainy night in Brookings, South Dakota instead of inside the Fargodome. So the next time you hear crap spewing out of someone's mouth about how the Bison shouldn't schedule anything other than DI competition. Just turn to them and say, "Wisconsin-LaCrosse 17, South Dakota State 3."
    Let's hope that the roof on the FFD doesn't start to leak!

Actually, Wisconsin Lacrosss 17 - SDSU 3 is a good reason NOT to play DII teams in my book.

OTOH, I do find it incredibly arrogant to say that the reason NDSU shouldn't play DII teams is that NDSU would crush them all. That's not true, but perceptions matter and when you have enough people saying "DII sucks. NDSU would kill them all," it really increases the downside of scheduling DII teams - even if the people saying it are dead wrong.

BisonMav Guest

Quote Originally Posted by 02Bison
    Because (both you and I know) Concordia-St. Paul could probably beat Wisconsin-Lacrosse 9 out of 10 games.
    I would repectfully disagree with Rich on this point.

UWL beat UMD very hanidly in 2004 and USD in 2003. *They UW DIII schools could complete in DII.

Gil... I would respectfully disagree with Rich also, but hey he writes what he wants to write. The only thing I told him after reading his column was not to turn into another "McFeely".

BisonMav Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Trainer
    Gil... I would respectfully disagree with Rich also, but hey he writes what he wants to write. The only thing I told him after reading his column was not to turn into another "McFeely".
    I like Rich's article's, and I read them more frequently than I read McFeely. *

I would also have to respectfully disagree with this article....Yeah scheduling DII opponents might be unavoidable, but NDSU shouldn't look to schedule them unless they need to fill up a schedule....Just my opinion

I also think that Rich referring to the opinions of those who disagree with him on this subjest...... as "crap spewing from someone's mouth"...is a little unprofessional

Why does this writer and others assume that confidence means arrogance. *They are NOT one and the same, please don't use them interchangeably. *It's arrogant because no one said "Bison by 7"? *Tell me how that is arrogant. *02 Bison, you agree with him *so please tell me where the arrogance is. * >

I disagree with Rich this time (and 02Bison on most everything). *if NDSU keeps working to be in the top 20 of DI-AA every week they should only lose to a DII team maybe once in 50 DII games scheduled, and heaven forbid lose to a DIII team once in 200 DIII games scheduled. *SDSU is a good DI-AA team but they are not on par with NDSU's football program. *La Crosse took advantage of SDSU's weaknesses and mistakes last Saturday to beat them. *Could it happen to NDSU? *Maybe, but not likely.
    So, as a fan I don't have a problem with exuding confidence, arrogance, or whatever you want to call it when playing teams like CSP. *I sure hope the team doesn't take that attitude though, but they do need to have confidence in their game plan, abililities, etc. before taking the field. *There is no way I am going to be politically correct in the way I cheer for my team. *Too bad if the other team is offended. *As long as I am not throwing things at them, swearing or making racist comments it should be OK to have a cocky confidence as a fan........realizing it will be quite humbling when you lose to a much lesser opponent. *

Quote Originally Posted by Green-N-Gold
    Why does this writer and others assume that confidence means arrogance. *They are NOT one and the same, please don't use them interchangeably. *It's arrogant because no one said "Bison by 7"? *Tell me how that is arrogant. *02 Bison, you agree with him *so please tell me where the arrogance is. * >
    I agree, if Bison fans think we will beat a team like CSP by only 7 NDSU has a problem much worse then arrogant fans. Bison fans should expect to beat up on the CSP's of the world because there is no good reason not to. Also the only reason 02 Bison agrees with him is because it paints Bison fans in a negative light.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.