Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: More Noise from Sen. Heitkamp

Default More Noise from Sen. Heitkamp

From the Forum Today:

http://tinyurl.com/2zf575

Default Re: More Noise from Sen. Heitkamp

I'm a bit ignorant on this whole deal. What law was violated? Is it in writing or a manual somewhere? Or just a micromanagement issue?

insane_ponderer Guest

Yeah, I was asking the same question. What law did NDSU violate?

Last I checked it wasn't a law that Sen. Heitkamp is all knowing.

My understanding of the situation(and it's far from exhaustive) is that NDSU bent, rather than broke, a ND law. All major projects, like new buildings on campus and major renovations, must be approved by the ND legislature before they begin(I think they fall under the higher ed budget - not sure though). In this case, the leg. approved the construction of a new on-campus building; they did not approve the purchase and renovation of an off-campus one. Here's where it gets a bit murky. Since it was the NDSU Development Foundation and not NDSU itself who purchased the building and will pay for its renovation, the applicable law wasn't actually broken. Furthermore, the plan is for NDSU to lease the finished building from the DF, and leases also do not require formal approval from the legislature.

My take: NDSU violated the spirit, but not the letter, of the law. While the Development Foundation may be considered a seperate entity by law, in reality it functions as a branch of NDSU. On the other hand, this opportunity arose with fairly little warning. If NDSU had waited for legislative approval(with the leg. out of session at the time), there's a very real chance that the deal would've fallen through before said approval came. I've never been a big fan of this particular law because, in the past, projects have been tied up for political reasons and, since the leg. is not in session year round, campuses cannot take advantage of timely opportunities. Bottom line: a small group of ND legislators are trying to undermine the Roundtable and are using every little thing they can find to accomplish their goals.

Heitkamp is saying the SBOHE violated the law not NDSU. Oddly, 99% of the ink thus far has been how NDSU violated a law.

Quote Originally Posted by tony
    Heitkamp is saying the SBOHE violated the law not NDSU. Oddly, 99% of the ink thus far has been how NDSU violated a law.
    That's 100 percent correct, Tony. The SBoHE bends a law, and it's made out to look like NDSU BROKE a law.
    "Jfufhr dhuis msdjdi asdj."
    - Lou Holtz

I'm going to play devil's advocate for just a minute. The timeline does suggest that NDSU pushed things just as much as the SBoHE. Basically, both the Board and the House were presented with a fait accompli. (I've always wanted to use that phrase in a sentence. )

2005: Legislature votes to allow NDSU to construct a new building on campus using private donations.
    March: NDSU begins discussion with Noridian to buy the Pioneer and Lincoln buildings.
    Summer: The NDSU Development Foundation purchases the buildings.
    November: NDSU informs the SBoHE of the plan, which then endorses it.
    January: Chapman presents the plan to the House Appropriations Committee.

Just in case I haven't made in crystal clear in the past, I like the downtown plan, I don't think Chapman & Co. did anything inappropriate, and I don't think the legislature should have to approve all major building projects on the NDUS campuses. I just don't think anyone should hang the SBoHE out to dry when NDSU was just as responsible, right or wrong.

Am I the only one that thought he heard that Heitkamp was reffing the spring game? I could swear the PA announcer made a crack about him never moving around that much and that he'd need a chair.

tcbison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Till View Post
    Am I the only one that thought he heard that Heitkamp was reffing the spring game? I could swear the PA announcer made a crack about him never moving around that much and that he'd need a chair.
    I heard it also. I have heard that Heitkamp is a DII ref so he can't ref Bison games any more. That a good thing!

17 Times Football National Champions
    BISON PRIDE!

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by tcbison View Post
    I heard it also. I have heard that Heitkamp is a DII ref so he can't ref Bison games any more. That a good thing!
    He is part of the Fargo NCC crew. They help out with the spring game and other scrimmages.