Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: GOLDSTAR/SDSU PRIDE BANDS

Default GOLDSTAR/SDSU PRIDE BANDS

HEY SDSU FANS!!

I gotta say that you guys are a fine bunch. I can say I am proud to be your brother in the march up to better futures. But I have just one question:

Can we borrow your band? Ours sucks compared to the Pride.

I mean we play these tributes to the Beatles? The WHO? and every other rock-n-roll band out there, but the Pride played music meant for marching and pep bands. Whats next for the Goldstat Band: Brittany Spears' "Crazy" or Ricky Martin's "Living La Viva Loca"? Perhaps a tribute to the greatest boy bands of the 90's? I guess you never heard The Backstreet Boys until you heard it from a marching band. OOOH, another great idea: a tribute to the greatest gangsta rappers of the 90's featuring NWA, Coolio, Snoop Dogg, and an added bonus Notorious BIG song. GRRRREAT!!!!

What I am trying to say is although I love the Goldstar Band, the music they pick sucks. It was never intended to be played by a freaking marching band. SDSU's kept me going throughout the game and kept going throughout, while the only thing I really heard out of the Goldstar Band was the "Beer Song" (during game action).

Goldstar, pick some decent fight songs, marching songs, and music meant for horns and drums. Black Sabbath, Def Leopard, and AC/DC is meant for other formats of instruments. Nice try, but it just doesn't work for this fan.

wfduck Guest

Default Re: GOLDSTAR/SDSU PRIDE BANDS

While outnumbered I'd say the NDSU Gold Star could kick the crap out of SDSU Pride. In football that's what counts. I have to say again I was not proud to see NDSU and SDSU band playing hand in hand across the concourse during the 2nd half. Take'em outside and break'em down.

89rabbit is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by wfduck
    While outnumbered I'd say the NDSU Gold Star could kick the crap out of SDSU Pride. In football that's what counts. I have to say again I was not proud to see NDSU and SDSU band playing hand in hand across the concourse during the 2nd half. Take'em outside and break'em down.
    wfduck,

Let me see if I understand your post. You want to judge the bands on their ability to drop the horns and pick up the rock??? Or are you talking about a street fight? Just wondering where you are coming from on this one. ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Go SDSU!
    South Dakota State University
    Jackrabbits

http://cache.nmn.speedera.net/pics2/...0530015132.jpg

wfduck Guest

Default Chasin Rabbits

In a light heated manner what I'm saying is that I just can't see the bands of say Alabama and Auburn hangin' out and comparing flutes during their game.

I dont' really want to actually see the bands break it down. My point is that in a true rivalry, we probably won't be swapping mouth pieces either.

89rabbit is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Fair enough, and I hear what you are saying. I am proud of our band and how good they are, but it gives me no comfort when our team gets shut out. Enough band talk.

Go SDSU!
    South Dakota State University
    Jackrabbits

http://cache.nmn.speedera.net/pics2/...0530015132.jpg

UND_Herd Guest

Don't mess with that Bunny Band - they played Johnny Cash before leaving. Can't go wrong with that - should have gone with A Boy Named Sue, though (instead of Ring of Fire).

KTF is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I was visiting with a few members of the Gold Star Band today. I asked them how SDSU's band had become so large. They told me that a few years ago the faculty at SDSU focused all of their time and $$$$ on building a better band. It has taken off since then... Guess if you guys want a better band it is going to take a bit of $$$$ and lots of convincing of faculty... Oh yah they also have an arranger that writes the music for them... They also thought that they weren't as impressive since they don't march when they are playing the songs. GSB does... With those types of numbers writing a feild show is very difficult at best. Just a bit of useless info...
    A human fart can be louder THAN A TUBA, I discovered that at my daughters school concert.

SDSU did a good job during the game. but quit bad mouthing The Gold Star Marching Band. I think you should ask any other person around during the football games and ask them how the band sounds. so get your head out of your ass and figure out the quality is a lot better than quantity.

I think it would help the Gold Star Band out a ton if new musical selections were picked. I know it takes a lot of money according to the grapevine to get new music, but seriously get music that is actually marching/pep band type music. Get on the directors to order marching music rather than concert music to play on the field. Do whatever it takes. It gets a little old listening to the popular hit that hardly anyone in attendance has heard of from the popular 1960's or '70's band nobody has heard of. Play upbeat marching/pep band music out on the field. Something that will pump the crowd up, not put them to sleep! How long has the gold star band been around? There's got to be music sitting somewhere gathering dust in storage in the music building that would be more appropriate for a marching band at a college football game. My highschool marching band played better music than NDSU's marching band plays. I've noticed the size of NDSU's Gold Star Band has shrunk since when I was at NDSU...obviously something is wrong and needs to be addressed.

Even when I have heard of the band, they play songs from that band that I have never heard. After listening to the songs, I soon realize why i've never heard the song before. No disrespect to the Gold Star Band intended.