Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Arena Options

Default Arena Options

I split this off from Games in the Dome because that thread was getting too long and covered a lot of different topics.

Summary: It looks like NDSU is discussing three options (for reference, see the Fargo Forum's article: Walaker proposes addition By Mike Nowatzki.).

1. Playing basketball in the remodelled BSA.
    2. A new arena in the south as part of the Brandt development (8000-8500 seats)
    3. An addition to the west side of the FargoDome proposed by Fargo's Mayor, Denis Walaker (7000-8000 seats)

BTW, nice call by Greenie for outlining these options a full two months ago.

Default Re: Arena Options

As soon as my medieval torture session (architecture studio for fall semester) ends, I'm planning on drawing up a design proposal for a new arena on the west Fargodome site. Hopefully I'll have a few MS Paint documents done sometime in January.

I'm not a licensed architect, or anything (in fact, I'm not even gonna be an architect - I'm swiching my major to art), but I know all the big brass on a personal basis, and at least it's something that can give them an idea.
    "Jfufhr dhuis msdjdi asdj."
    - Lou Holtz

I'm all for the addition to the Fargodome... A few other things were mentioned regarding paying for the facility.

1. The FargoDome has an extra 12 million dollars from the sales tax (they raised more tax than they anticipated)
    2. Sell naming rights to new facility or to the FargoDome itself
    3. NDSU kicking in some or all of it's 8 million that is currently raised to renovate the BSA.

I think that all of these ideas are great. While i'm sure that NDSU would pony up 8 million towards this facility they certainly could still raise more money to help renovate the dome (new offices, weight room, track stuff, etc).

This is extremely good news for the City of Fargo, NDSU and I applaud Dennis "all he does is save the city" Wallacker.

Drew

Quote Originally Posted by drewaely
    I'm all for the addition to the Fargodome... *A few other things were mentioned regarding paying for the facility.

1. *The FargoDome has an extra 12 million dollars from the sales tax (they raised more tax than they anticipated)
    2. *Sell naming rights to new facility or to the FargoDome itself
    3. *NDSU kicking in some or all of it's 8 million that is currently raised to renovate the BSA.

I think that all of these ideas are great. *While i'm sure that NDSU would pony up 8 million towards this facility they certainly could still raise more money to help renovate the dome (new offices, weight room, track stuff, etc).

This is extremely good news for the City of Fargo, NDSU and I applaud Dennis "all he does is save the city" Wallacker.

Drew
    I'm thinking this:

$8,000,000 is already acquired for the BSA renovation (donors won't mind if their money will now go toward a new arena)

$13,000,000 (conservative estimate) in excess money from the dome sales tax

$4,000,000 from a corporate sponsor (Scheels? Gate City Bank? Domino's Pizza? Dodge? Outback Steakhouse? Microsoft?) for naming rights

$10,000,000 more from donors (may take a couple years - Could we start construction on the timeframe Walaker is suggesting??)

This would give us $35,000,000 for a nice 6,500-7,000 seat arena that's not bare-bones, and has some good amenities.

I really don't think we'll ever be able to consistently sell out 9,000 seats on a consistent basis, which is why I personally like something in the 7,000 range. Go ahead, flame away.
    "Jfufhr dhuis msdjdi asdj."
    - Lou Holtz

The Fargodome addition seems pretty appealling. The only drawback I see it that Fargo could NOT host the Mid Con Tourney as that has to be on a neutral court.

Were they talking about the new Fargodome / B-Ball arena addition to be city owned? I saw last night on the news that they were talking that this new arena could host other things as well as the Fargodome. Isn't the Fargodome always close every year to paying off their expenses, if I remember right they don't make a huge profit and a few years have been in the red.

So my question is, if it is city owned how are they gonna pay for it other than NDSU stuff. They could take stuff away from the Fargodome and than that goes downhill. I just don't think there are enough events to fit into two nice event centers.

I think that they should try to push the 8,500-9,500. What if we do become good and we are overflowing our capicity (might take a few years). Some way of adding in the future or something.
    I will go with the saying "Go big or go home."

And please don't put it in South Fargo--that would be terrible.
    "No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child"

Quote Originally Posted by WYOBISONMAN
    The Fargodome addition seems pretty appealling. *The only drawback I see it that Fargo could NOT host the Mid Con Tourney as that has to be on a neutral court.

Wouldn't it still work however to put it in the Fargodome, or not because its attached.
    "No man stands so tall as when he stoops to help a child"

Quote Originally Posted by Go_Herd
    [quote author=WYOBISONMAN link=1164805771/0#4 date=1164809830]The Fargodome addition seems pretty appealling. *The only drawback I see it that Fargo could NOT host the Mid Con Tourney as that has to be on a neutral court.

Wouldn't it still work however to put it in the Fargodome, or not because its attached.[/quote]

Possibly. I would like to see the MidCon comment on that before a decision is made......

BisonBacker is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Here's my two cents worth.
    1. *Putting money or at least the amount they were talking about into the BSA would be a terrible waste.
    2. *South Side arena would be a bad idea, limits student involovement ect.
    3. *The new proposal if followed through on should be more then an 8000 seat stadium. *12,000 on two levels with the upper level only being open if the lower level sells out.
    4. *They need to have more options/say in when the Bball team can be in the facility. *Currently with the football team our options are limited with the Fargodome. *That is wrong. *If there is no event going on in the dome the football team if they want should be able to practice in the dome.
    5. *I can't believe I'm saying this but have the option in the future for another facility (for those who enjoy the sport of hocky) to be added on to the two if and when NDSU ever decides to go with DI hockey. *This last option I don't know if it would ever happen but every possible contingency has to be considered.
    6. *Chapmans comment about the southside being an attractive option is just a wild card he's using to get the city to get off their butts and do something to help NDSU. *No way Chapman would IMHO really want to move to an off campus stadium. *But why not use that bargaining chip if you have it which he does.
    I think this deal gets done but not until 09-10. *two years is to little time to do everything that needs to get done and do it right.

BisonBacker is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

One last comment, Denny Walacker is the man!