Page 1 of 34 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Bison memories

Default Bison memories

Sambini and I got to talking about different memories we had of old games, tailgating, roadtrips, etc. We thought telling these experiences on the board would be a great way to pass the winter until the spring game. Hopefully everybody can chime in with a particular experience (or twelve) of their own.

One memory I have is sitting at Memorial stadium before a Bison/Firetruck battle with Thesocalledfan, and a bunch of our college buddies. It was really cold, with snow everywhere. The snow was hard, probably more like ice than snow. Anyway, just a little bit before the game, the Firetrucks brought out "the pope" who was on a platform carried by some guys. Well, the "pope" blessed the Firetrucks and did something to the effect of shaking his fist at the Bison faithful. Well, deep in the stands where the students were, there flew out a snow/ice ball. I mean this thing must have traveled about 40-50 yards...it was far! We all saw it...it was a thing of beauty...and nailed the "pope". I can't remember if it hit him in the head or back or what, but it was hard enough that it knocked him over. The whole section went crazy. The guy got up and was fine, but you could see all the Fire had been taken out of that Firetruck.

That's my first one...Sambini? Let's have one of yours from the vault o' Bison lore...

Notorious--Bisonville all-time POTY
    Proud member of TOHBTC[/B]

Default Re: Bison memories

Its basketball season so my first BISON-FIRETRUCK GAME IN GRAND FORKS. WE DRANK VERY HEAVY ON THE WAY UP. But I BELEIVE IT WAS 1976. The Hyslop was packed and it was halftime and this fraternity guys from firetruck u carried around this paper bison once around the court like they going to a funeral. I believe they were a leaf fraternity from firetruck u. Second trip around the RAJAHS CAME OUT OF THE CROWD AND FISTS WERE A FLYING . aND THEN THE COPS CAME AND ARRESTED THE RAJAHS ONLY. THE RAJAHS WERE A DRINKING FRATERNITY AT NDSU. ANYONE REMEMBER. MARV SKAAR WAS COACHING THE BISON. AND YES I PASSED OUT ON THE WAY HOME FROM FORKS. For a kid growing up in ND YOU REALLY SAW HOW THE RIVALRY WAS BACK THEN. I WAS ALWAYS TOLD BY MY DAD KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT AND DO WHAT THE ROMANS DO IN ROME. BUT IT WAS GREAT FIRETRUCKS SUCK+++
    Proud sponsor of SAMBINIS ATHLETICS TFA and SAMBOS TRACK CLUB

Special thanks to TRANS AM FOR STARTING THIS +++++

Alright, this topic has gotten 30 views now, and only one post...c'mon, everybody has to have at least one good story!!!

Notorious--Bisonville all-time POTY
    Proud member of TOHBTC[/B]

This is an old story that went around back when I played in the early 70s. We had a defensive tackle by the name of Sanford Qualle. He was 6-6 to 6-8 or there abouts. At a party some little drunk dude comes up to Sanford and asks "hey hows the weather up there"? Well everybody had a really good laugh including Sanford. A few minutes later the little dude comes up and askes him again. Well this keeps going on for sometime and Sanford is really getting tired of it is everyone else. When finally the little dude comes up one more time and askes "hey hows the weather up there"? Sanford then took a drink of his beer and spit it on him and replied "its raining". Everyone laughed there ass off and the little dude was not heard from again. PL
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

There was also a group called the Rangers. Ranger parties were very well know along time ago. PL
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

PL you must of played with Lee Gunlickson and Pat Simmers? I remember also back in 1980 my buddy Shane Hodenfield had a house party. This was the track guys house. And I came in and this guy comes flying out the front door. I said wtf going on. Steve Garske who was a linebacker at the time didn't like the way the dude was acting. So he threw him out. Garske was one mean sob. He became an all american in 1982. I remember PL when my wife met SANFORD QUALE at the old SPORTS BAR ON 1ST. AVE..She couldn't believe how big of a man he was.

Sambini
    Yes I played with Lee and Pat. Saw Lee and Sims at the St Paul game this year.
    I still have my Sports Bar Mug. Cliff Bosley used to own it. Spent way too much time there. LOL PL

Do you remember Chris Taylor??? The US Olympic Heavyweight wrestler????
    Well he went to school at Iowas State. We had a wrestling grad assit at SU by the name of Jim Duchen who used to be team mates with Chris at ISU. Well Dush as we used to call him got Chris Taylor to come up and wrestle in an invitational. After the meet is over we all go down to Sports Bar for a few. I buy a pitcher of beer and set it on the table with four glasses. Taylor says your glasses are pretty small here arent they. I said I would get him a mug if he wanted one. He just responded--naw thats alright as he picked up the pitcher of beer and chugged it. PL

PL , Bucky talks about Chris Taylor he was one big dude. Well here is a story from the 1981 season. We loaded up my cousins conversion van for VERMILLION,SD. BISON HAD A NIGHT GAME AT USD. 15 CASES OF BEER AND 3 GUYS AND FOUR GALS. ONE OF THE GALS WAS Mike Kasowsi fiance Gail. They were suppose to get married a week after the regular season. But that all changed after the Bison opened the season with 2 road losses . But they ended up winning the rest of the way. They had to beat USD to get in the playoffs. They won and poor Gail was crying. So we had to calm her down. And we headed back to Fargo that night. Ran out of beer had to pick some up . And got back to Fargo to Schluchters house and the fellas had a party till about 9 am. Mike and Gail got married in Jan in Grand Forks in a blizzard. But as true Bison we all made it up there and had one hell of a good time.