Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NSIC Hoops

Default NSIC Hoops

Wow, Bemidji or UND, NOrthern over NDSU, Concordia over Augustana and Winona was up 9 with 5 minutes left over Omaha before blowing it!

Crookston women beat St. Cloud. The NSIC continues to get much, much better

89rabbit is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: NSIC Hoops

We will see how good the NSIC is next weekend in Mankato.

21st Minnesota-Duluth vs SDSU
    22nd Southwest Minnesota State vs SDSU

Lets go Rabbits! 8)
    South Dakota State University
    Jackrabbits

http://cache.nmn.speedera.net/pics2/...0530015132.jpg

That will be tough. But that is just one team. SDSU is in another league it sounds like their so good.

I think the NSIC showed they can play a little basketball. But all you hear (from some idiot media people) that the NSIC is horrible. All I know, 5-10 years ago, those scores wouldn't happen or the NSIC winning two region title and NCC not having any in the last 6 years.

Fear the NSIC!

MN_BISONS Guest

Hey mustangfan, suffering from a little case of napoleon syndrome? I don't think anyone or at least most people on this board would suggest the NSIC is a poor basketball conference. They have been very competitive for years with the NCC teams. Basketball is a whole different animal when it comes to putting together a successful program. It's a numbers game really. A hoops team needs 5-7 good players but a football programs needs five times that. Northern, SW and even Moorhead back in the mid 90's have all had good basketball programs.

your correct sorry. Just you hear more ripping at the NSIC than positive things. Your right about the players needed. I hope someday the NSIC will get more scholarship dollars. Can you imagine if that every happened? Two very good conference would be next door to each other

89rabbit is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I can see a day when many of the NSIC schools are in the NCC, or the two conf. become one.
    South Dakota State University
    Jackrabbits

http://cache.nmn.speedera.net/pics2/...0530015132.jpg

NDSU_grad is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

In NDSU's defense, I think Northern will be pretty good this year. I think the Bison will probably finish in the middle of the pack in the NCC, but with all the new faces they could come on strong at the end of the year.

There is one glaring difference between the conferences from a basketball standpoint. NCC teams are larger in terms of height and weight across the board, which lends to more physical play. In the NSIC, the refs aren't as accepting (as both the Sioux and Bison can atest from Saturday as both lost big men and had more in foul trouble), and this leads to higher scoring in the NSIC. Their games there are much higher tempo, whereas the NCC is a half-court league. There is a trend in interconference games between the two that seems to have wins going to the home team, and I would attribute that to the way the games are called.

D you may have a point. At Southwest Chad Koenen at 6'10 was always getting cheap fouls, etc.

But you should know, officials do both the NCC and NSIC. They almost all ref both leagues so that shouldn't be a factor

GFBisonFan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by mustangfan
    I hope someday the NSIC will get more scholarship dollars. *Can you imagine if that every happened?
    Actually what will happen is that the remainder of Division II will have their scholarships limited due to pressure from the influx of small schools into DII, thus evening the field. A big reason why NDSU is leaving, a general watering down of the field.