Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 5/8 rule

Default 5/8 rule

I've been curious for a while whether or not this year's recruiting class counts against NDSU with regards to the 5/8 rule. *I haven't found anything info regarding how it applies to provisional teams, but would assume that it does count against it. *The rule says tha a team can put no more then 5 recruits on scholarship in one year and no more then 8 every two years. *If so, that means the Bison only have one scholarship left out there right now, and I would assume that they hope for a JUCO kid with that last one for balance class balance and instant impact reasons. *Curious if anyone knows if the rule applies towards this year's recruiting class?

Default Re: 5/8 rule

15 recruits are on scholarship for next year already so you must have some misinformation.

Herd_Mentality Guest

5/8 applies to NEW scholarships...so you're right, I only see one more available

BisonMav Guest

Quote Originally Posted by D
    I've been curious for a while whether or not this year's recruiting class counts against NDSU with regards to the 5/8 rule. *I haven't found anything info regarding how it applies to provisional teams, but would assume that it does count against it. *The rule says tha a team can put no more then 5 recruits on scholarship in one year and no more then 8 every two years. *If so, that means the Bison only have one scholarship left out there right now, and I would assume that they hope for a JUCO kid with that last one for balance class balance and instant impact reasons. *Curious if anyone knows if the rule applies towards this year's recruiting class?
    Winkelman would be a good signing, making it five for this year. Maybe Winkelman will chose football, who knows. Some of the five recruits would be redshirted, some would play. I personally would like to see NDSU build for the future using these recruits. Having a good team four years from now would be important. Miles said in an interview that the JUCO route would be more difficult to use with Division I rules.

Are all four definitely receiving scholies?
    Team Cinzano Tested. Team Cinzano Approved

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonguy
    Are all four definitely receiving scholies?
    The 3 (Lunde, Woodside, and the Wisconsin kid) have signed and Morrman has given a verbal. I stand by my guns that they will take a JUCO kid with the 5th. I doubt Woodside and either Lunde or Moorman will redshirt. With the scholarship breakdown as it is now, there will be 5 SRs, only 1 JR ( and that is Pettis who I think is the football player), and the rest underclassman for next year. That means only 1 SR in 2006, and he isn't on scholarship nor does he ever play. All coaches want to maintain some sort of class balance if possible, and the way things are now the classes are out of wack. I'd look for a JUCO big guy, a 4 or a 5, with the last scholarship, a guy who can step on the floor and play right away. Hell, I could be wrong though.

D,

Pettis has 25 minutes this year.

He's also a pretty good high jumper (second at the Bison Classic).
    Team Cinzano Tested. Team Cinzano Approved

NDSU_grad is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I think they'd be better off saving the schollie for next year. The class balance would only be thrown off for one year (05-06), and I don't think that's a big deal anyway because we won't be post-season eligible. Just my opinion though.

Bisonfan1234 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I'd be suprised if Pettis is on football scholorship. He hasn't done much in his years here.

The NCAA is going to review the 5/8 rule at the end of the month, with all indications being that it will either be done away with or reformed to something more like a 6/10 rule. The consequences would not be good at all for anyone outside of the BCS conferences, CUSA, A10, and Mountain West. It would probably put a quick end to Mid and Low-Major teams success in the NCAA tourney, at least that is what the powers-that-be are hoping for and would probably get.