Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: D-I basketball schedule

met1990 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default D-I basketball schedule

I heard a rumor today that the SU men's basketball team has a game with Gonzaga lined up after the move to D-I. Possibly in the 05-06 season. Has anyone heard anything else about this?

Also, what do you think the odds are that the Gary Barta connection will help in scheduling with Wyoming?

Default Re: D-I basketball schedule

This is old news and probably rumors also, but I thought I read in the forum months back that Gene was talking to Minnesota, Wisconsin, Wyoming, and Gonzaga about signing contracts (1 game home and 2 games away)

BisonMav Guest

Pioneer Press - Shooter:
    The Western Illinois men's basketball team the Gophers play Saturday afternoon is 0-6 under coach Derek Thomas, a Gophers assistant under Dan Monson. Western Illinois will receive about $40,000 for coming to Williams Arena.
    WIU is getting a good payday to play the Gophers.

IowaBison Guest

I can't see why the Bison wouldn't get the same or more, except that we might not be anywhere near the caliber of team that the Leathernecks are and that they want at least a little challenge.

We'd actually bring an audience.

Bison basketball will most likely have a tougher time scheduling in year 1 & 2 than the football team. I'm sure this has been mentioned before, but D1 basketball teams are better off scheduling D2, D3, and NAIA teams than provisional D1 schools. A little quirk in the RPI, as I understand it. It's unlikely many big conference schools will be willing for a couple of years. I actually read an interesting article earlier this year where Rick Majerus talks about how stupid this is, and how he takes advantage of it by taking his team to his home state of Wisconsin and they play 1 or 2 NAIA schools there in January or Dec (can't remember which) and it is better for their RPI. The NCAA as a whole has some real strength of schedule issues.

I am sure that to play Wyoming the Bison would probably have to travel to Laramie. *Barta will probably still be looking out for the Wyoming interests, eventhough he is a NDSU alumnus.

Wyoming may be tough in BB this year. *On Saturday they just spanked the Washington Huskies in a solid effort.

BisonMav Guest

Pioneer Press stated that Wofford received $45,000 for their basketball game with the Minnesota Gophers this weekend. Not a bad payday.

You guys won't have a hard time playing D1 basketball teams. Davis played @ Stanford, Oklahoma State, Nevada, and Pacific (w/ the Candyman) in the last few years of D2.

~has anyone heard any kind of schedule so far for the mens team for next year...I have heard of a few womens games they have scheduled, but nothing from the men...doe we even have anybody on the schedule as of yet?

southwest state is on the schedule

533 In a row