Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recruit News

BisonMav Guest

Default Recruit News

From the Pioneer Press:
    East Grand Forks star shines bright

BY TIM LEIGHTON

Pioneer Press

With seconds remaining until halftime, Nick Mertens quickly shuffled off the basketball court Saturday afternoon at Concordia-St. Paul. Many wondered aloud if the East Grand Forks multisport star had injured himself.

"Nope, I needed a bathroom break,'' the senior said with a chuckle.

In answering nature's call, Mertens nearly missed the curtain call for the final half of his high school basketball career. The 6-foot-2, 185-pounder returned in time to win a three-point shooting contest, and then helped the Maroon team to a 123-98 victory over the Blue in the championship game of the senior all-star series sponsored by the Minnesota Basketball Coaches Association.

Mertens scored 11 points, grabbed 11 rebounds, had three assists, a blocked shot and a steal in 20 minutes of play. Minneapolis Henry's Ross Forman led the Maroon with 19 points, and DeLaSalle's Travis Bledsoe made 6 of 9 three-point attempts en route to 18 points.

While better known for his football heroics, Mertens enjoyed the opportunity to display his basketball talents. He averaged 21.5 points this season and is the school's leading scorer with more than 1,900 points.

"I think most people only know me when I have my helmet and pads on,'' he said. "This was a chance to associate me without (the football equipment).''

Mertens, an all-purpose player for the Green Wave, passed for 2,456 yards and 36 touchdowns and rushed for 20. He led EGF to its first state championship and was selected the state's player of the year by the Associated Press. He has signed to play at North Dakota State.

Mertens, who runs track in the spring, is unsure of NDSU's plans for him.

"Any way they can get me on the field is fine with me,'' he said.

BisonMav Guest

Default Re: Recruit News

More from the Pioneer Press....

Willmar's Sam Sussenguth scored 19 points and grabbed nine rebounds, and Trinity's Mike Cunningham and Blaine's John Kreklow added 18 each in helping the Green record a 111-104 victory over the Gold in the third-place game.

BisonMav Guest

From Mike Max WCCO:

North Dakota State University basketball coach Tim Miles thinks he got a steal in Willmar recruit Sam Sussenguth, a 6’7” forward who will probably red shirt next year. Albert Lea’s Ben Woodside, a point guard who red shirted this season, was impressive in practice, “he was our best player a lot of days,” Miles said.

Here's a lottle update on some players of interest.

Jaml Lott has stated his 3 favorites are Arizona (who has not offerred yet, but may when he visits), USC, and Georgia. His stock has gone through the roof the past month and a half. However, I am of the opinion that if he goes to the Pac-10 or SEC, he will be a bit player a best. He has all kinds of offers now, though. He will be going to a major conference, much to the dismay of UNI, which thought they had a real good chance about 2 months ago. To be honest, I have not seen anything about Minnesota getting involved with him, and I had totally expected that after their defections a few weeks ago, with him being a St Paul kid and all. Disappointing to be honest.

Andre Smith (NDSCS) aparently is liking South Florida and St. Bonniventure (sp??) with no mention of NDSU. There is a premium article over on Rivals.com about Smith and Lott, if anyone else has a subscription over there it can be. It basically talks about South Florida watching them both at practice and Smith having a genuine interest there.

Kyle Prochaska of Iowa Western, who has been talked about, is thinking about Southern Miss, SE Mizzou, and a few other mid-majors. He aparently would love to get an offer from UNI, but that doesn't look like it will happen. UNO is involved with him also, and from those in the know it would not be suprising at all if he ends up there despite offers from a fair amount of D1 schools. He has some issues to deal with that are evidently shying some D1s away.

RedRiver is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Does anyone know when the spring signing date is for men's and women's basketball? I'm thinking that is may be tommorrow.

BisonMav Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RedRiver
    Does anyone know when the spring signing date is for men's and women's basketball? *I'm thinking that is may be tommorrow.
    It's tomorrow.

Did the Bison men or women sign anyone yesterday? Or does nobody care?
    Jackrabbit1979 - Bringing delusional Bison fans back down to earth since 2004.

Apparently neither Amy or Tim signed any players on wednesday.

533 In a row

kchats Guest

Quote Originally Posted by jackrabbit1979
    Did the Bison men or women sign anyone yesterday? *Or does nobody care?

What about the Jacks? Did they get some good players?

Jacks men signed two: Cam Hornby from Winnepeg Canada, believe he was discussed over here earlier this year. The other was Mohammed Berte, 6'8, transfer from Indian Hills CC in Iowa. From the sounds of it both will play right away next year, and both of our previous 6'10 kids will redshirt. We also got a verbal from Blake Yackley 6'4 guard/forward from Sully Butte, SD. He was offered at a few d2's but decided to walk on at State as his family has quite a legacy at SDSU. Nagy said they would atleast have one more signing and probably two.

Jack women signed Morgan Meier ,5'10 guard, from Osh Kosh, WI. They had signed four others in November.
    Jackrabbit1979 - Bringing delusional Bison fans back down to earth since 2004.