Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: D-I Basketball Map

89rabbit is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default D-I Basketball Map

Filbert has created a map of all D-I Basketball schools that is pretty cool, if you like maps which I do. Here is the link:

http://www.medary.com/staticpages/in...50811151846815

Go State! ;D
    South Dakota State University
    Jackrabbits

http://cache.nmn.speedera.net/pics2/...0530015132.jpg

Default Re: D-I Basketball Map

Geez, 89, I stop for a spot of lunch and you've already posted the thing over here!

(Thanks)

The link for the entire Conference Map Project is HERE.

89rabbit is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Wife is putting in a little OT at work, kids are napping and football season hasn't started yet. What is a guy to do. ;D

Go State! ;D
    South Dakota State University
    Jackrabbits

http://cache.nmn.speedera.net/pics2/...0530015132.jpg

The really weird thing is that Minnesota is by far the largest state in the US that only has one DI basketball team. Maine, Vermont, Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota and Minnesota all only have one DI basketball team in them. Of course Alaska has none. You'd think that with a state the size of Minnesota, there'd be at the very least 3 or 4.
    "Jfufhr dhuis msdjdi asdj."
    - Lou Holtz

Interesting enough I think UM Duluth might have the most interest in moving up to DI athletics to join there DI Hockey program. At St Cloud and Mankato fielding a DI Hockey program has come at the expense of not being very good at anything else. I also think one of the private institutions in the Twin City metro area might emerge as a contender as they have plenty of money and a huge market for athletes and program growth.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBisonator
    The really weird thing is that Minnesota is by far the largest state in the US that only has one DI basketball team. Maine, Vermont, Wyoming, North Dakota, South Dakota and Minnesota all only have one DI basketball team in them. Of course Alaska has none. You'd think that with a state the size of Minnesota, there'd be at the very least 3 or 4.
    If you divide the US population of 281 million by the 330 or so D-I basketball programs, you get an average of 1 D-I school per 851,000 people.

Minnesota has 5.1 million, so they should have five or six D-I programs, not counting NDSU and SDSU right there on the western border.

Quote Originally Posted by filbert

If you divide the US population of 281 million by the 330 or so D-I basketball programs, you get an average of 1 D-I school per 851,000 people.

Minnesota has 5.1 million, so they should have five or six D-I programs, not counting NDSU and SDSU right there on the western border.
    Exactly. I mean, Minnesota has 5.1 million people and they only have one DI school. It's very unusual and weird, and I don't know how that affects Minnesota's reputation as a sporting state to the rest of the US.
    "Jfufhr dhuis msdjdi asdj."
    - Lou Holtz

Gamehunter Guest

Minnesota is not only the largest state with only 1 D-1 school, but UM is also THE largest campus in the US to my knowledge. That could play a part. It takes what?.....4 NDSU's to equal 1 UM.

It is a good thing that Minnesota only has one DI school. That means SDSU and NDSU can take advantage of the large geographic area for recruiting. ;D

Quote Originally Posted by SDbison
    It is a good thing that Minnesota only has one DI school. That means SDSU and NDSU can take advantage of the large geographic area for recruiting. ;D
    I don't think that SDSU has done a lot of men's basketball recruiting (at least, successful recruiting) in Minnesota until recently. Most of our out-state players seem to come from Iowa and Illinois. This appears to be changing, however, as we start going after that "surplus" of D-I talent in Minnesota.