Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Mid-Con basketball schedule posted

Default Re: Mid-Con basketball schedule posted

Oral Roberts head and shoulders above...

UMKC is solid as well.

Oakland made the NCAA 2 years ago.

IPFW, Southern Utah, Western Illionois and IUPU are average.

SDSU & Centenary is down in my opinion and will be for about 2 years.

NDSU CAN COMPETE IN NIT this year if they go 23-4 or some crazy record.

Quote Originally Posted by lakesbison
    Oral Roberts head and shoulders above...

UMKC & Centenary are solid as well.

Oakland made the NCAA 2 years ago.

IPFW, Southern Utah, Western Illionois and IUPU are average.

SDSU is down in my opinion and will be for about 2 years.

NDSU CAN COMPETE IN NIT this year if they go 23-4 or some crazy record.
    Are you kidding??? *Centenary is TERRIBLE!! *They haven't made the last 2 conference tournaments in either men's or women's basketball. *Oakland made the NCAA as a 7 seed in our conference tourney that year (have been 6th-8th in league last several years). *The top teams in order of best to worst when we leave will be ORU, IUPUI, UMKC, Oakland, WIU, SUU, & then Centenary (typical standings without us in the mix).

TaTonka_31 Guest

There is a strict probationary period for the NCAA tournament which I am sure is not only the rule but also because of the revenue share to the conferences.

The NIT is and always has been an invitational with no such revenue share. Why would the NCAA penalize the SU's and hold them out of the NIT. I would be quite sure that when the NCAA took over the NIT they wouldn't have put those restrictive by-laws in that program. It wouldn't make any sense.

If the Mid-Con stated that the SU's could compete for the regular season championship next season, they certainly could represent them in the NIT.

mikelsch Guest

Quote Originally Posted by BisonBlogger
    There is a strict probationary period for the NCAA tournament which I am sure is not only the rule but also because of the revenue share to the conferences. *

The NIT is and always has been an invitational with no such revenue share. *Why would the NCAA penalize the SU's and hold them out of the NIT. *I would be quite sure that when the NCAA took over the NIT they wouldn't have put those restrictive by-laws in that program. *It wouldn't make any sense.

If the Mid-Con stated that the SU's could compete for the regular season championship next season, they certainly could represent them in the NIT.
    Is this just your opinion, or do you know this for sure? If for sure, I would be interested to see the source, because it would be really nice to have the chance for a post-season tourney 1 year early.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonBlogger
    The way they set it just this last NIT is that any regular season champ that does not get a bid to the NCAA tournament will get the NIT automatic bid. It has nothing to do with post season conference tournaments.

NDSU cannot participate in conference tournamen next season anyway but they are eligible to win the regular season championship.

It has nothing to do with post season conference tournaments? *Sure it does. *If little NDSU wins the regular season yet loses in the conference tournament, they were regular season champs, yet didn't make the NCAAA tournament because of LOSING in the conference tournament. *Now I know your going to say that they could have gotten an at large bid. *And I am going to ask you when the last time any MidCon team got an at large and if you can name once, its probably only happened that once in 15 years. *So, back to my original question. *If we won the regualr season, BUT couldn't play in the MidCon tournament as opposed to losing in it, do we get a bid to the NIT????

TaTonka_31 Guest

The NIT automatic bid has nothing to do with conference tournaments. *Remember, NDSU will not be allowed to play in the Mid-Con conference tournament next season of 2007-2008.

If you go to the NIT website it will state: *"All Teams that win their regular season championship not selected for the NCAA tournament will receive an Automatic Bid". *These are the only automatic bids to the NIT. *The rest of the teams are chosen at large like as before based on record and RPI rankings.

Key words being "All Teams". *

This was a brand new rule that also does not take into account season record, although you would think conference champs would have a winning record. *

In the likelihood that the regular season champ also wins the conference tournament, there would not be an automatic bid from that conference. *

The ONLY way the Mid Con is going to be represented in the NCAA's next year is by the conference tournament champion. We will get no at large bids. If the regulasr season champs get beat in that tournament, they will not be selescted to play in the NCAA's (thats just reality), so under the new rule, they will get an auto bid to the NIT. So, in my eyes, that has everything to do with the conference tournament.

TaTonka_31 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by B1SON
    The ONLY way the Mid Con is going to be represented in the NCAA's next year is by the conference tournament champion. *We will get no at large bids. *If the regulasr season champs get beat in that tournament, they will not be selescted to play in the NCAA's (thats just reality), so under the new rule, they will get an auto bid to the NIT. *So, in my eyes, that has everything to do with the conference tournament.

I guess you are correct if NDSU would be eligible for the NCAA next season (2007-2008). But for next year anyway, since they will not be in the conference tournament but are eligible to compete for the regular season championship, NDSU would get the automatic bid if they win the Regular Season. I don't know how much plainer that could be.

But if you read my last sentence in my previous post, in any normal situation with all teams eligible for the NCAA, if the Regular Season Champ also wins the Conference Tourament, there would not be an NIT automatic bid out of that conference.

What I want to see is the 2008-09 schedule. It is a long shot, but I am hoping to see the MidCon Tourney site as FARGO, ND (being held in the Fargodome....a neutral court)!

Quote Originally Posted by WYOBISONMAN
    What I want to see is the 2008-09 schedule. *It is a long shot, but I am hoping to see the MidCon Tourney site as FARGO, ND (being held in the Fargodome....a neutral court)!
    To my knowledge, Tulsa has won that right for the next few years (4-5?).