Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: NDSU Downtown Campus

Default Re: NDSU Downtown vs. SBoHE

Quote Originally Posted by 99Bison
    [quote author=IowaBisonToo link=1175135621/0#13 date=1175193715][quote author=AKBison link=1175135621/0#11 date=1175188647]Got to agree with one thing, the business school belong on campus. Hopefully that is still the long term plan.
    Why??? *So kids can spend a little more time in the sack in the morning? *So they don't have to plan their daily schedule around making a small commute to downtown via University-provided and paid for transportation? *As long as the whole department ends up downtown and it's not split between the two sites, I see know reason why it has to be on campus unless I'm missing something here. *There are other schools that have multiple campuses within the same city and the students deal with it just fine; e.g. U of M, Mpls and St Paul campuses.[/quote]

Agreed, having a couple separate campuses in the same city will end up being a huge benfit. It streches the width and bredth of exposure and interaction.[/quote]

Also, probably the hugest benefit to having an expanded downtown campus will be the complete urban renewal and transformation of 10th Street. If you haven't seen the plans for 10th St., go to the downtown campus (1st floor) and check them out. They're amazing.
    "Jfufhr dhuis msdjdi asdj."
    - Lou Holtz

I'd love to see NDSU buy or build an apartment building downtown to use as a residence hall for Jr/Sr art, arch, & business students.

Also, I agree with Tony; these are the opening shots in a power play by some ND legislators. Time will tell whether they've got enough votes or political pull to add any bite to their barking.

NDSU: Plan adhered to law by Amy Dalrymple

Seriously, if this is such a big deal, why didn't the SBOHE say, "Uh, don't ask us, you have to go to the legislature for this kind of thing?"

One thing for sure, in a state that is supposed to pride itself on straight talk, NDSU's Kieth Bjerke isn't going to make friends of these guys by saying, "They believe the Roundtable took away their ability to micromanage the system and they want it back." But, man, he is 100% right.

So... who wants to lay odds on which campus is going to be next on our august leaders' gripe-fest? I figure Mayville State is the front runner. I bet UND won't get off scot free either. I don't think that travel expense rant was enough for them. I think Christmann, Heitkamp and company will want to discredit as much of the NDUS as they can before this leg. session is over. Thank goodness we have such intelligent and wise leaders like them to look out for our best interests. [/sarcasm]

Bison101 Guest

Quote Originally Posted by IowaBisonToo
    [quote author=AKBison link=1175135621/0#11 date=1175188647]Got to agree with one thing, the business school belong on campus. Hopefully that is still the long term plan.
    Why??? *So kids can spend a little more time in the sack in the morning? *So they don't have to plan their daily schedule around making a small commute to downtown via University-provided and paid for transportation? *As long as the whole department ends up downtown and it's not split between the two sites, I see know reason why it has to be on campus unless I'm missing something here. *There are other schools that have multiple campuses within the same city and the students deal with it just fine; e.g. U of M, Mpls and St Paul campuses.[/quote]

Ummm, its called College. you sleep in until the last second, barely make it to your first class which for fun we'll say is a psych class, hustle over to the business school for your next class, stop by the union grab a slice of pizza and chill for an hour with some friends, and then go to your last class of the day. Anyway, that is how it should be. Moving a key school such as the business school away from campus is a shame.

The only positive could be if they keep the original plans for the business school and eventually turn the space they have in downtown into MBA type programs and move the business school back to campus.

Half of the fun of college, is being on campus and meeting with friends etc. If I was a freshman, interested in a Business degree, I would not choose NDSU as it would pull me away from Campus.

insane_ponderer Guest

The distance from the highrises to the turf is roughly .66 miles

The distance from the turf to the Pioneer life building roughly 1.03 miles

I can't believe people are whining about this. I understand that it's great to be on campus and thats the point of college and the commute and buses will be terrible etc. but....

1. I really think that these kids are in for a rude awakening if they ever move anywhere and get a job that requires a real commute

2. I think the positives of having a community presence downtown as well as expanding the campus highly outweigh the negatives of a half mile shuttle ride and not being able to spend that extra 5 minutes of your day telling the guys about the weible chick you hooked up with the night before.

When you have 10 minutes to get from one class to another, grabbing the bus or your car leads to.......................changing majors or colleges. *I know several students switching from econ to something else, a couple of profs are also looking for other jobs because the don't want to be downtown. *It has nothing to do with how l ong the commute is, it's when the commute is.

I know Sen. Christman very well. He is saying and doing what he thinksis best for NDSU.

Not everything Chapman\NDSU does is always right. IMO

IowaBison Guest

Quote Originally Posted by westriverbison
    When you have 10 minutes to get from one class to another, grabbing the bus or your car leads to.......................changing majors or colleges. *I know several students switching from econ to something else, a couple of profs are also looking for other jobs because the don't want to be downtown. *It has nothing to do with how l ong the commute is, it's when the commute is.

I know Sen. Christman very well. *He is saying and doing what he thinksis best for NDSU.

Not everything Chapman\NDSU does is always right. *IMO
    They're going to stager the schedule so everyone will have plenty of time to get where they're going.

If you're changing your major because of where your classes are located, you're already in the wrong major.

I refuse to listen to anyone in Fargo complain about their commute to school or work. It doesn't matter what time of day it is, there is no substantial congestion in Fargo. This is like listening to farmers bitch about all the money uncle sam is taking out of their pocket when, outside of defense, they work in the most heavily subsidised industry in the world. It's obsurd on it's face.

I'm happy Mr. Christman is following his heart on this one, he's welcome to his opinion.

I think that the downtown campus is another example, like the proposed arena, of how the city and University can partner for the good of both institutions. These changes are going to require some adjustments but in the end I think that the downtown campus is a positive thing.

If you've got young kids who you're planning on sending to NDSU and the means to do so, buy a condo downtown now, great investment in a revitalizing part of a growing community. Rent it out until you need it for the kids.
    I have the honor to be Your Obedient Servant - B.Aud

We all live in stories... It seems to me that a definition of any living vibrant society is that you constantly question those stories... The argument itself is freedom. It's not that you come to a conclusion about it. Through that argument you change your mind sometimes... That's how societies grow. When you can't retell for yourself the stories of your life then you live in a prison... Somebody else controls the story. - S. Rushdie

Quote Originally Posted by westriverbison
    When you have 10 minutes to get from one class to another, grabbing the bus or your car leads to.......................changing majors or colleges. *I know several students switching from econ to something else, a couple of profs are also looking for other jobs because the don't want to be downtown. *It has nothing to do with how long the commute is, it's when the commute is.
    Just to reinforce what bisonaudit said, it'll be 40 minutes, not 10. How hard is it to figure out that the downtown campus will be 30 minutes offset from the main campus and that that's when the buses will run? Come on, it's little more than a mile between the campuses. If some faculty are going to leave because their offices and classes have been moved(faculty who, by the way, have never had a collective home before), then they have their priorities seriously out of whack. Ditto to audit's comments about the students, as well.