Page 8 of 15 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: NDSU Downtown Campus

Default Re: NDSU Downtown vs. SBoHE

Uh, NDSU got permission from the State Board of Higher Education so they're not the problem. Elements in the legislature are the problem.

It's pretty obvious to me that the Legislature wants control of higher ed back, not because higher ed is being run badly but because they want the power back because they have their own agendas.

Who on earth would argue that when the legislature controlled higher ed, it was better for North Dakota?

I kind of figured that Legislature power grab was on after the Potts v Chapman deal. Since then they have manufactured controversies about tuition waivers, travel costs, and now NDSU ignoring the "explicit *instructions" of the legislature by building a downtown campus. Basically, they are trotting out every excuse for taking back control of Higher Ed in preparation for a vote. I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple more legislative hissy fits.

Bison_Dan Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tony
    Uh, NDSU got permission from the State Board of Higher Education so they're not the problem. Elements in the legislature are the problem.

It's pretty obvious to me that the Legislature wants control of higher ed back, not because higher ed is being run badly but because they want the power back because they have their own agendas.

Who on earth would argue that when the legislature controlled higher ed, it was better for North Dakota? *

I kind of figured that Legislature power grab was on after the Potts v Chapman deal. Since then they have manufactured controversies about tuition waivers, travel costs, and now NDSU ignoring the "explicit *instructions" of the legislature by building a downtown campus. Basically, they are trotting out every excuse for taking back control of Higher Ed in preparation for a vote. I wouldn't be surprised to see a couple more legislative hissy fits.
    Here's the skinny on travel cost for NDSU: http://www.in-forum.com/Opinion/articles/161029

I hope someone reads this article to Bob from Tioga, because God knows he can't read.

State control of a university system probably isn't the wisest thing to do. Most of these people have no idea how a system like that works not to mention, they have so many other things to worry about and fund that a university system wouldn't get the time and effort they NEED in order to follow their mission.

Like Tony said, it's all about power.
    "If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play it, it's recreation. If you work at it, it's golf." - Bob Hope

BISON_Thunder Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tony

Who on earth would argue that when the legislature controlled higher ed, it was better for North Dakota? *

This is the part I do not understand. President Chapman goes to the Board and requests permission to change things...and is given the okay to do so. Now, the legislature is pissed at him because he did not get their direct approval? Is there an institution over the legislature which needs to give approval too? In my opinion, some of the legislators (winning their districts with 27 votes) need to really get out more.

The jealousy of Fargo/NDSU from the rest of the state is readily apparent. As a Minnesota resident...let me be the first to invite you to build a Red River diversion and join our state. You would be welcome with open arms and shown appreciation, rather than ridiculed by some closed minded wannabes.

Quote Originally Posted by BISON Thunder
    [quote author=tony link=1175135621/0#6 date=1175165050]Uh, NDSU got permission from the State Board of Higher Education so they're not the problem. Elements in the legislature are the problem.

This is the part I do not understand. *President Chapman goes to the Board and requests permission to change things...and is given the okay to do so. *Now, the legislature is pissed at him because he did not get their direct approval? *Is there an institution over the legislature which needs to give approval too? *In my opinion, some of the legislators (winning their districts with 27 votes) need to really get out more.

The jealousy of Fargo/NDSU from the rest of the state is readily apparent. *As a Minnesota resident...let me be the first to invite you to build a Red River diversion and join our state. *You would be welcome with open arms and shown appreciation, rather than ridiculed by some closed minded wannabes.[/quote]

I recall a time in the past when the state of Minnesota was in deep debt that a radio station in Fargo called the governer of Minnesota to see if they wanted to build a Red River Diversion on the Minnesota side, and then sell Moorhead to Fargo.

Some of the state legislatures are just on a power struggle, and cannot see the light that someone else has better business sense than they do.

Bison101 Guest

Got to agree with one thing, the business school belong on campus. Hopefully that is still the long term plan.

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior
    I laughed when I first read the story. *It sounds like the state board and legislature told NDSU that it had to build a new building on the main campus. *It just so happens that was the plan that NDSU presented to the board a couple of years ago for approval. *Yes, things have changed. *They found a different option that would cost less money and provide more space than if the new building was built. *In other words, anybody that is bitching about this now, is bitching about NDSU being prudent with their money.

Oh, and the kicker: *total amount of taxpayer's money = $0.00
    Amen. ++++++

Quote Originally Posted by AKBison
    Got to agree with one thing, the business school belong on campus. Hopefully that is still the long term plan.
    Why??? So kids can spend a little more time in the sack in the morning? So they don't have to plan their daily schedule around making a small commute to downtown via University-provided and paid for transportation? As long as the whole department ends up downtown and it's not split between the two sites, I see know reason why it has to be on campus unless I'm missing something here. There are other schools that have multiple campuses within the same city and the students deal with it just fine; e.g. U of M, Mpls and St Paul campuses.
    "If you watch a game, it's fun. If you play it, it's recreation. If you work at it, it's golf." - Bob Hope

99Bison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by IowaBisonToo
    [quote author=AKBison link=1175135621/0#11 date=1175188647]Got to agree with one thing, the business school belong on campus. Hopefully that is still the long term plan.
    Why??? So kids can spend a little more time in the sack in the morning? So they don't have to plan their daily schedule around making a small commute to downtown via University-provided and paid for transportation? As long as the whole department ends up downtown and it's not split between the two sites, I see know reason why it has to be on campus unless I'm missing something here. There are other schools that have multiple campuses within the same city and the students deal with it just fine; e.g. U of M, Mpls and St Paul campuses.[/quote]

Agreed, having a couple separate campuses in the same city will end up being a huge benfit. It streches the width and bredth of exposure and interaction.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBison

I agree 100%. That is probably Christman's problem with what happened. I know a lot of alumni and students who are not happy about the downtown campus. It will mess up schedules and parking.