Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: From A Good Source - UND to Big Sky too!

Default From A Good Source - UND to Big Sky too!

I've heard from a reliable source that the coaching staff at UND were asked to prepare DI budgets for their programs. Sorry I wish I could be more specific with regards to the request but I'd really hate to have my source compromised.

My understanding is that the combination of NDSU/UND is much more attractive to the Big Sky than a NDSU/SDSU partnership. Wouldn't that be very interesting.

Default Re: From A Good Source - UND to Big Sky too!

I wonder if Kupchella finished his copy of "Beer & Circus"?
    Team Cinzano Tested. Team Cinzano Approved

DIBISON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Not very likely, as it will be a year or two before UNDII could make the DI commitment. Title IX affects them because the women's hockey program is about 5 years from being fully funded.

Preparing DI bdugets should be an annual event at UNDII so they will be ready in case the DII limitations become stricter.

The Big Sky is even going to consider a DII university that hasn't declared its intent to move to DI.

DIBISON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Correction - The Big Sky ISN'T going to consider a DII ....

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonguy
    I wonder if Kupchella finished his copy of "Beer & Circus"?
    Don't be afraid of the truth BisonGuy. Read a little about the subject matter. There's lots of information out there, factual information not anecdotal, about the direction that Chapman is taking NDSU and it's not good.

Read "Beer & Circus" yourself, read "College Sports, Inc." or read "The Game of Life". College sports is not the panacea you think it is.

That all being said don't be so dismissive of the fact that the coaching staff at UND have been asked to prepare DI budgets. I'm sure Kupcella is getting a lot of pressure from alumni to join the athletic arms race.

NDSU_grad is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Good, I can't wait to see your posts at siouxsports.com under the name OCSioux telling them what a huge mistake they're making.

JBB Guest

This guy is rediculous. The statement that Dr. Chapman is taking NDSU in a direction that is not good is absurd and unfounded.

1) Downtown Fargo Campus

2) New school of business

3) New living facilities

4) Adding graduate programs

5) Increasing research funds

6) establishing cooperative ventures with private enterprise: Alien tech for example

7) Rasing professors salaries

Need I add more?

With regards to athletics my friend not with regards to the other aspects of the University.

DI athletics is not the answer to everyone's prayers. Do some research on the subject matter. I know, I know it might mean questioning some of your core values but I think you can handle it.

Also if you think adding graduate programs is good for the undergraduate students at NDSU you need to rethink that as well. That will less undergraduate classes taught by full professors and more classes taught by TA's and GA's.

BTW it's "ridiculous".

GCWaters Guest

Quote Originally Posted by OCBison
    *That will less undergraduate classes taught by full professors and more classes taught by TA's and GA's.

BTW it's "ridiculous".
    Yes, it is "ridiculous," and you, my friend, need a verb in that last sentence...

JBB Guest

I did come on a little strong there, and did refrain from mentioning athletics to see if you were going to narrow your criticism to athletics. You have.

I take exception with that as well. The Carr report is clear that the support exists in the Fargo and regional markets for DI athletics at NDSU. Of course there are challenges and risks, but the potential is there, in a big way. Doubters and chicken littles will always be about and the law of large numbers tells us that they will occasionally be right. (hows my spelling so far?) 8)