Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: NDSU Hockey, read post before voting.

Bison101 Guest

Default NDSU Hockey, read post before voting.

Since we are now in D1, the chances that we will ever win a national championship in something is nill to non existent. I think there is a chance we could compete regionally and maybe nationally on occassion in womens basketball and Softball, and in wrestling. There is potential for Baseball since anything can happen in a regional and super regional. A good team can sneak into the College world series and it happens every year. It is my personal hope that we can win a national chamionship or two at the D1AA level in Football and move up to D1.
    At this point, this where Hockey comes in. We are in a region where fan support could be won and we could win a national championship in Hockey. I mean hell, Bemidji state damn near took out DU in the tourney. The one problem about moving to D1 is that we will no longer vie for national titles in any sport. (Save for D1aa Football.) With Hockey we could....

So on that premise, if we have moved up to D1 in football in lets say ten years. Should we add Hockey. Yes or No????

kchats Guest

Default Re: NDSU Hockey, read post before voting.

NDSU gave Fargo the chance to say whether they would support it when the last arena tax vote failed. NDSU stated at that time that it would be a very long time before they even considered looking at hockey again. I believe they also stated they would move in a different direction, which ended up being division I athletics for all of their sports. I think winning a conference championship in division I is much more prestigious than a division II national championship. Nobody beyond division II fans even cares about division II. I was always asked which division I college team I supporting and I always told them I was an NDSU supporter and I didn't really follow a division I team. Now I can tell them I support NDSU and they are division I.

[glb][/glb]Nobody beyond division II fans even cares about division II.[glb][/glb]

and this is the resume we bring to the table of DI - pound our chests saying "yeah! we're here!" and FRANKLY no one gives credit to what we've done, according to your criteria, because we came from DivisionII???? Maybe we should melt down all those trophies, make a boat anchor, and say HEY!! We're in the Division ONE harbor and we're staying - RESPECT US OR NOT!!! (I suspect not!)

DIBISON is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I'd rather bring the resume of the Bison to DI than any other school, who else compares that has move up? Nobody!!!!!!!

kchats Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Hager780
    [glb][/glb]Nobody beyond division II fans even cares about division II.[glb][/glb]

and this is the resume we bring to the table of DI - pound our chests saying "yeah! *we're here!" and FRANKLY no one gives credit to what we've done, according to your criteria, because we came from DivisionII???? *Maybe we should melt down all those trophies, make a boat anchor, and say HEY!! We're in the Division ONE harbor and we're staying - RESPECT US OR NOT!!! (I suspect not!)
    Hey Hager780 go around any division I campus even the University of Minnesota and ask the people if they can tell you who has won the last few division II football championships, division II men's basketball championships or division II women's basketball championships. When I graduated from NDSU in 1990 we had just completed an amazing 5 year run where the football team had won 3 national championships in those 5 years. NDSU was also undefeated every one of those seasons. A K-State graduate (and K-State was still the team that made the Sports Illustrated magazine as futility U at that time) didn't know about the championships and didn't even care. I was young and foolish at the time and I told him that I thought NDSU could beat K-State if they played, now I know better. Division II is inferior to even the worst division I football team. And yes Hager780 nobody in Kansas, Missouri, Oklahoma, Texas or a host of other states even knows that your Sioux played in the hockey championship. And Hager780 nobody could care less about your Sioux's single division II football championship.

NDSU only brings a tradition of success to division I. The other schools note that NDSU was a successful division II program because we won all those championships. They don't automatically say they must be better than us because they have won division II championships. It was even mentioned this season before the women's basketball team played TCU. The only reason TCU didn't overlook the Bison (and the Bison have been wildly successful in division II) was because their coach had coached against the Bison when he coached a division II program in Missouri.

Hager780 you are an idiot and a Sioux graduate. Thanks for finally showing your true colors. When Tony finally bans you from this board that will be one less idiot we have to respond to.

Quote Originally Posted by kchats
    NDSU gave Fargo the chance to say whether they would support it when the last arena tax vote failed. *NDSU stated at that time that it would be a very long time before they even considered looking at hockey again. *I believe they also stated they would move in a different direction, which ended up being division I athletics for all of their sports. *I think winning a conference championship in division I is much more prestigious than a division II national championship. *Nobody beyond division II fans even cares about division II. *I was always asked which division I college team I supporting and I always told them I was an NDSU supporter and I didn't really follow a division I team. *Now I can tell them I support NDSU and they are division I.
    I am not sure why you think Fargo would not support NDSU hockey based on a failed arena vote. *Fargo has a large fan base for hockey. *Bison hockey is not out of the picture, funding needs to work out for the current varsity sports first. *Fargo and NDSU is best suited for D1 hockey and time will come, but most likely I woudn't bet on it in the next few years. *I am absolutely for Bison D1 hockey, and majority of my friends, family, and acquaintances are for it too.

Gamehunter Guest

I would support the move in 10-15 years. I feel we will have things rolling by then and it wont be a problem. Now is a different story.

There is actually a decent sized group on campus that really pushes for a hockey team. I think its only a matter of time(long time). NDSU's club hockey is already recieving an enourmous amount of money.

Adding D-I hockey is not a quick and easy way to a national championship. It would cost a lot of money to add hockey. Perhaps down the road, NDSU might be looking to add a minor sport, but I wouldn't count on that for a while.

I do think you are overly pessimistic in stating the NDSU will never win a championship in D-I. NDSU will be contenders in football for sure. But you make your claim as if it is fact. There is no reason that NDSU can't get a championship in softball or wrestling, for example.

Ok, tell me just who does pay attention to D-II. ESPN is just packed to the gills with D-II programming, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Rodentia
    Ok, tell me just who does pay attention to D-II. *ESPN is just packed to the gills with D-II programming, right?
    C'mon guys. I will tell you that Bison Fans paid attention to DII when the Bison were DII--which was not that long ago! There is no need to continually put down DII now. Especially continually doing so here. Focus on supporting the Bison in the present and leave it at that. The last thing NDSU needs is fans to get arrogant about the whole "We are DI" thing. Its childish and its petty.