Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: NDSU shouldn't go DI because...

Guest Guest

Default Re: NDSU shouldn't go DI because...

Don't forget that the Fargo and Sioux Falls metro areas are projected to grow significantly over the next twenty years.

tony: With an announced 19042 but empty seats, yes, they were sold and some didn't come. Will the no-shows even buy them the next time? Surveys say they will. Now it's just follow through.

Big Ten Hockey? You believe Sid? He's been yapping that up for decades. If it happens it happens. But don't hold your breath waiting for it or the return of recently folded by the NCAA DII hockey. The biggest annual gates at Minnesota and Wisconsin for hockey are when North Dakota comes to town. It's kind of the same thing as for NDSU FB: UND causes the biggest gates. You can go look it up.

tony: Turn off the emotions for a minute. Rise above. Think of your grandfather's words pressed against your methods of belittling anyone who disagrees with the decision and with your belief UND is out to "get" NDSU. " ... you can tell how others think by the motives and methods they ascribe to others." Paranoia can destroy ya. *

I've said there's a middle ground here somewhere. I've moved in toward it.

PS - I said "41k is about half of 90k." 41k out of 90k is 45.55%. That's "about 50%," isn't it? When you use words like "about" and are close, what's to jump on. You too would do well to review "grandfather's wisdom."

Hey, I never said anything about hockey or Sid. You have me mixed up with JBB.

The fact is that they sold 19000+ tickets and there were plenty of people willing to fill those empty seats even with the team doing as poorly as it is. True, the empty seats are a concern and it could well be that some people may not buy season tickets next year unless NDSU starts showing some life. Are you happy?

Besides, I don't battle with everybody on the DI issue, just you. You are incapable of telling truth from fiction when it comes to your UND v NDSU world.

I didn't even support the move to DI until I was sure that there was broad enough support to give the program a stable base. As much as I continue to worry about NDSU's move to DI, there is no way that I'll ever lend any credence to your unending string of specious arguments, snide remarks about NDSU, and unfavorable comparisons of NDSU to UND. You don't have any credibility with me about anything.

When you wrote that your main objection to NDSU moving to DI was that ND taxpayers might have to foot the bill, I considered that a lie. I'll ask again, what is your main motivation in opposing NDSU's move to DI? As a bonus, answer this: what do you hope to accomplish by being so negative about the move? And for gosh sakes, try to answer like a man this time.

What do I hope to accomplish?

I'd like to make sure that all the potential problems are out and in the open so they can be dealt with while they are still potential problems.

If I can set them out there and you can knock them away with plans and figures: Excellent.

About ultimate (ultimate, not that it will happen, but they ultimately hold the bag) responsibility: "The North Dakota State Board of Higher Education, established in 1939 by the voters of North Dakota, is the governing body for the state’s 11 publicly-funded institutions which comprise the North Dakota University System."

That's from: http://www.ndus.nodak.edu/sbhe/default.asp

Will the taxpayers get a bill for this? CSL and NDSU says it won't happen.

Could (could, not will) they? Remotely possible, but highly not probable. Yet, it remains in the realm of the possible.

Thus, we must put it out there with other potential problems: Has it been thought of? Yes. Has it been dealt with? Apparently so (CSL report), but you don't know until you ask the question.

And yes, the hockey comment should have been prefaced with a "JBB."

JBB Guest

If it comes to it the taxpayers of the Great State of NORTH DAKOTA will be happy to support the Premier Institution of higher learning in North Dakota, North Dakota Sate University. Thats why only one of us should go, and obviously its NDSU.

Guest Guest

sicatoka-
    for hockey scsu and wisconsin are the best draws at minnesota. the minnesota und rivalry in only in the head of und fans. we hate scsu and uw!

SCSU is a big rivalry? Lately maybe. But a rivalry is more than the last five to ten years. Look back at who played in the 1979 National Championship game (and then who won in 1980). That's where rivalries come from.

The numbers tell the tale. Minnesota's home games last season versus Wisconsin, St. Cloud, and North Dakota.

SCSU 10248
    SCSU 10231
    UW 10228
    UND 10216
    UND 10214
    UND 10203
    UW 10192
    UND 10183

Stats from USCHO.com

Show me a significant difference there. (PS - UND is at least 45 miles further from Mariucci than the other two, yet sells as well. And that was in a down year for UND hockey.)

Ohio State and Penn State (the most likely to add) would get them gates like SCSU and UND?

JBB: You're "only one should go" comment smacks of what your complaint against UND is. One shouldn't be telling the other what to do or working against it, right?

Guest Guest

as I said, the largest gates at the u are scsu and um. I assume that you live in nd because down here the scsu and um rivalry is fierce. (as you will hear on KFAN) und is a traditional rival but because of our proximity to st cloud ant the fact that many scsu alums live and work down here. the rivalry is more bitter. I think the largest gate in minnesota hockey history was the um scsu game in the playoffs last year.

Dear "gopherfan,"

Don't believe me. Believe the posters at US College Hockey Online. (Be sure to check out the poll results.)

Thread: Toughest Rivalry in the WCHA
    http://www.uscollegehockey.com/vb/sh...threadid=17309

Key posts to read are by "Hammy." He's as pro-Gopher puck as JBB is pro-Bison FB.

Heck, Hammy may know as much about Gopher hockey as I do about Sioux hockey. * *;D

PS - That board is "backwards" compared to this one. The oldest posts are toward the bottom of the highest numbered pages.

Guest Guest

I don't mean to be rude, but everyone seems to be forgetting one thing. . .in NDSU the U stands for 'University' not 'Sports'. How many of you are current students or faculty? There are many academic problems the school needs to address before looking at issues with the athletic program.

Parts of the art and the architecture programs need to move to down town Fargo, away from many of their regular classes, because there are inadequate facilities on campus for them. Right now the entire art department and half of the architecture department use old metal quonsets. The library needs to be replaced because of space, insurance, and future flooding problems. Freshman live in hotels off campus because there isn't room in the dorms, and Chapman still wants to increase enrollment. Last I heard the business school can't be accredited until they have their own building. Parking is also a big issue for students.

I think sporting facilities are the least of our worries.

NDSU does have plans for new dorm and classroom buildings.

Sicatoka tried to bring up some academic concerns a while ago, but no one seemed to care.

It is possible that the move will help the school in academic aspects. It's also possible that all the money needed for sports will take away from the educational funds.

The move to D1 will be a good challenge for the school. I think NDSU can do it. I just don't think they have done enough to take care of issues throughout the entire university, not just athletics.