Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: NDSU shouldn't go DI because...

Default Re: NDSU shouldn't go DI because...

Yes, the Carr Report says that NDSU would have to raise more money so NDSU asked the business community and boosters how much more they'd be willing to spend to take the Bison to DII. The marketing firm found out that the boosters and business community would come up with all the money necessary. What hasn't NDSU done that they should have?

In your understanding, NDSU's athletic department is free to incur debt whenever they want and refer to the bill to the legislature for payment without the legislature or Board of Higher Ed being able to do anything about it. HAHAHAHAHAHA! Tell me another one.

In your understanding, NDSU can also force Fargo to build an arena just because they've gone DI. What a strange and fascinating world you live in! Do they have flying pigs there too?

You are acting like NDSU is crossing some athletic Rubicon by going to DI from DII and that the perils that await them might drag down the whole state and, in the end cost you a tiny amount of money. The flaw in this analogy is that NDSU can cross back to DII if they want, not to mentioin that the legislature or Board of Higher Ed could even force them to.

It just seems to me that you are getting overly panicked about something that carries very little risk, if any.

If you're worried about money, start your campaign to rid universities of athletics altogether - only start with UND because all your arguments against NDSU going DI could be used against having any athletic program at all.

That darn Argus-Leader has joined the Evil Empire led by The Herald.

http://www.argusleader.com/editorial...yfeature.shtml

Moral of the story: Money.

I live in a world of fiscal realities.

how come nobody hasnt named a sport that the bison are better at then the sioux with 5,000 fans watching.HAHAHHHAHHAHAHAHa

NDSU_grad is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Sicatoka,
    You say you teach at NDSU. Are you by any chance an economist. It's none of my business and you don't have to answer me if you don't want to, but I was just curious.

Anything new on Dale Lennon. Is he still considering
    joining Terry Wanless at Sacremento State?

I was never aware that Coach Lennon was thinking of going to Sacramento State. He hasn't made a visit out there or anything. It seems like just another rumor to me.

I'd heard that rumor too. I find it not too credible, but hey, anything is possible.

Lennon is from Knox, ND and a former Sioux RB.
    Was D Coord under Thomas when Wanless was AD.
    He left to head coach at Mary in Bismarck.
    Wanless leaves, Thomas moves up, Lennon fills the open head job.

That tells me Lennon's primary allegience is probably to Thomas, if not UND.

JBB Guest

I found the Argus article arbitrary and a little offensive. Arbitrary in the sense that the article is trying to make the reasons USD decided not to move universal for D2 at large and especially SDSU. The negative reference to the SDSU as an ag school exposed the article for what it was, an attempt to garner public opinion against the SDSU move. Motivation is the same as the herald.

The Argus-Leader only leaves articles up for a week. That link is now "bad."

If you choose to lock onto The Argus' poor form of calling one an "ag school" you can safely ignore the rest of what it is saying.

And it wasn't purported to be an "article" but an "editorial," the opinion of the Argus-Leader. They then gave the reasons for their opinion.

It raised the point that higher ed in SD is already underfunded terribly. (Same for ND.)

The State of SD is already funding six schools (Ten in ND? More?).

SD only has about 870,000 residents to pay the bills. (ND only has 640,000.)

They believe all that points to is more higher ed funding problems in SD.

That's the basis for their position.

I don't disagree with USD's decision to stay DII. With a small athletic budget alread ($3M, so they would need to at least double it) and being based in a town of 10000, the market just won't support them. As for SDSU, I am not well versed on the main issues that they must address in the move to DI.

The Argus Leader can state their opinion, but the basis for that opinion does not apply to NDSU. Can you show me anywhere in the Carr Report where NDSU is going to the state of ND for more money to fund the move to DI? This is based on the assumption that NDSU will not be able to raise any money to increase their budget and it is a certainty that they will run a deficit. I have seen no facts that back up this assumption for NDSU.

Craig