Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Why Not?

Default Re: Why Not?

I agree with Bison in Texas. Look at all the schools of NDSU size and fan base. They are the Idaho's, the Utah State's, and the like. Are any schools of NDSU's size and with the same amount of fan base successful? I don't think they are. There is no way NDSU could fund 85 scholorships every year and probably the fan base would be quite low because we would not be a winning team. See the example in Idaho. In my opinion, it would be a lot better to be successful at I-AA then be non-competative in I-A.

Actually, even in I-AA, we might play the likes of Nebraska or Minnesota as a big money game much like Troy State and McNeese State do. This would most likely be a guaranteed loss but I would rather see one big loss to a major school then many losses to them.

With the new TV networks, coming along such as the College Sports Channel and the Football Channel, there is going to be ample TV coverage to see the Bison across the country.

I know that Taylor will find a conference even if it means helping to create a new one. Give him some time. We have about a year to find a conference. Just like building a championship quality team, it doesn't happen overnight.

From time to time Wyoming does field decent D1A teams and does well. The University of Wyoming is a school that is very similar to NDSU except that Wyoming takes athletics to a much higher level than does NDSU. Could NDSU be D1A??? Yes, if the fans and alumni believed in it. If Wyoming can do it NDSU can, however, it would take much commitment from the fans, alumni and administration. I don't think that level of committment is there right now. D1AA is the right thing to be doing now.

Wyobisonman:

I would have to disagree with you regarding NDSU's ability to go DIA. I know that you have unique insight into both Wyoming and NDSU, but who is Wyoming competing with in state? The University of Wyoming is viewed as the flagship or feature of the entire state and it seems that that particular reasoning explains your admirable devotion to athletics. Hell, here in Montana, we have TWICE the population you have in Wyoming, and you guys have more resources than 2 DI schools up north from you. From an outsider's point of view, as long as UND has Ralph Engelstad (sp) supporting them, and that damned hockey program that they are always talking about, I don't think that NDSU will get the resources you will need from the state.

Some role models that you guys should avoid would be both Idaho (which shares a similar profile with NDSU and is in a state which has three times the population of North Dakota) and Troy State. Both moved up for all the wrong reasons. They wanted money and prestige and wound up with neither. In 1995 we were offered the chance to join the I-A Big West Conference with Boise State and we wisely turned it down. We might be a pretty good example of ways to build up a program that might fit your model. It's better to be a big fish in a small pond than a small fish in a big pond. Besides, we're 3-1 against I-A schools over the past 3 years.