Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: DI a sure thing for NDSU, not so sure for SDSU

Default DI a sure thing for NDSU, not so sure for SDSU

Here is an article in the Forum today stating that NDSU is almost 100% certain of going to DI (not that we had any doubts). SDSU might not go this up coming year but would be moving soon.

http://www.in-forum.com/articles/index.cfm?id=36551

JBB Guest

Default Re: DI a sure thing for NDSU, not so sure for SDSU

I had a few doubts. I remember Dr. Chapman, at the very begining of this, saying if you have a provisional year and after that things dont seem to be working out you can always stay right where you are. You have nothing to lose.

At times during the conference struggle and all I thought maybe his hinting might be a foretelling.

I liked the sounds of this article. Dr. Taylor seems very optomistic about the conference deal and the money. I alos thought that SDSU sounded positive but for them its a question of timing.

I think they are waiting for a key study to be completed. When that's done, and forgive me if Im wrong, later this summer, we should hear an announcement from SDSU. I doubt very much they are going to hang back.

In a lot of ways they are in a better situation than NDSU. We have Fargo, true, but they are larger, close to Sioux Falls, have as much past history and tradition as NDSU, and from a sports perspective have BB as the #1 game in town with a lot of DIA exposure already under their belts.

In my opinion this is the right thing to do for both Universitys. Im sure Alien Technologies, a large company that has choosen Fargo as its home and NDSU as its partner, noticed this.

This was no small announcement. This company is going to provide Wall Mart with the technology to eliminate bar codes and use micro chips instead. They are going to be located in the new NDSU Technology Park, the new buildings located just west of the FFD. Not only is the park a money maker and huge asset for NDSU, its also a great place to park for football.

JBB,

Actually NDSU is larger in student population by almost 1500 students. I think NDSU last year had around 11,300 students where as SDSU had around 9,800.

But I do agree that SDSU has just as much of a chance as NDSU but their decision to go DI was about 6-8 months after NDSU's. This might delay SDSU by a year to reclassify to get funding in order and all the logistics taken care of before making the jump.

SDSU AD says in the article that we are going but its a matter of when. *Financially, we may have to wait a year or two and the formation of the football conference and acceptence into the Mid Con *or another conference. Once there is some signs of certainty that these things will happen, then its a green light.

I agree we seem to be a step or two behind NDSU in getting this entire process done. *We stood and watched NDSU too long, but were in agreement in spirit with your move. Of course this is all hindsight now and not intented to be critcizm of the SDSU Administration. This whole process takes time and careful consideration.

I been hoping that we would make our move in 2004-05, but as JBB said an anouncement from SDSU will be made some time in the next 60 days.

I was surprised Kolpeck did not mention the 3 year commitment *that the NCC passed this spring. *Since it does not affect NDSU, I can see why he did not comment on that. He was writing for the NDSU fans and not SDSU fans.

I noticed at the NCC website they have a click for minutes, but you have to have a password to get in so I assume these minutes are not a public record.

*The Brookings Register is kind of lame right now without a sports editor. The one guy that teaches at the Middle school and writes sports part time named Rod Thomsdagard is very anti-D1 so he has used his column to bad mouth the move still in a recent column. *

The Sioux Falls Argus, is still treating Augie,USD and SDSU on a eqaul basis in terms of coverage. Chris Solari is the writer that covers SDSU and I expect he will have an article once there is a offical press release.

Gene Taylor has it right in that SDSU is kind of on a bubble for year 2004-05, but not going this year will not mean that we wont go in 2005 or there after.

As Jeff reported the conversations with D1 conferences will continue and its a matter of "when we go D1' *rather will *than "will we go D1AA". *The latter question was answered last winter in December.

A lot can change in a year so it's nice that NDSU has this next year to manouveer. This story did confirm something that I was unsure about - DII teams can offer scholarships to more than 85 football players but DI teams can't. This would explain why more players than usual *may* have been losing their scholarships.

Edit: this is TOTALLY off topic but...

Alien hasn't chosen Fargo yet, JBB. They are still in the process of playing all the possible locations against each other to see which one offers them the best package of tax breaks, loans, and cheap labor. I don't have any inside information so I'm speculating. That's how things typically work though.

It is definitely an interesting technology and Alien Technology is just one of three companies that I know of that are working on it. I'd imagine that if they want to compete in this market, they're going to have to build a plant pronto.

Off Topic as well........

I have been doing some reasearch for work regarding those microchips that are replacing bar codes. *It is incredible technology that is for sure the wave of the future. *What a fantastic coup if Fargo and NDSU can land this. *Best of luck!!

(Yes, it may be hard to believe, but WYOBISONMAN does have a real job!!!!)

Staying on the OFF-TOPIC track:

The commercial for WDAY-AM's Hot Talk on Monday has guests Gov. John Hoeven and Joseph Chapman to discuss "Alien Technologies is coming to Fargo". That sounds a little more certain than "Alien Technologies might be coming to Fargo". If NDSU lands this Alien Technologies gig, it will work well with the $52 M Defense Grant, mostly devoted to nanoscale technology.
    Team Cinzano Tested. Team Cinzano Approved

Check today's Forum, Aliens is coming to Fargo. I am not so sure this is off topic as this company means more jobs for Fargo-Moorhead and more fans for NDSU. The part of the story that interest me is the ripple effect that this company may have for the entire upper midwest. That is support companies to Aliens could also relocated to this area.

Brookings has been working on something similar, but so far all that has been snagged is a credit card center, but I am sure other things are in the works. I know of one person who is working on making I-29 a techological corridor from Sioux Falls to Grand Forks.

Well, I'm sure glad to be wrong about this one! I wonder why that Forum was still reporting it as still up in the air yesterday.

Of all the things NDSU has done since I graduated, the tech part is the most promising. Sure, not everything will pan out but I love NDSU's approach to things: "we might not succeed every time but we're going to give it a heck of a try."

I've talked to the Chair of the NDSU Department of Industrial & Manufacturing Engineering...my old department....and he says it's basically a done deal. An annual payroll of $55million. Bam! How about that?

Man, is it just me, or is NDSU moving faster than ever. We're on track to hit 12,000 students before expected, and I can't see how being aligned with Alien Technologies will hurt with our reclassification (maybe some get upset when we use that word) in Carnegie Research status. I'm sure UND's just pissed. Why live in Grand Suck, when you can live in Fabulous Fargo? *tongue in cheek*

My thought it why would a manufacturing company want to come to a town where the University (UND) is only concerned about design...actually that would be the only thing said university is 'capable' of (I use that term loosely) *in walks NDSU* You all may not know, but NDSU is only one of 4 universities in the entire region (NDSU, UMD, Iowa State, SD Tech) that has Industrial or Manufacturing Engineering) I guess if you would consider ISU and SD Tech 'in our region' Hell, the U of M doesn't even have it. It's an option in Mechanical Engr! FYI

....about that comment earlier, I had to take a little jab at our rival

But do not fret.......I should be getting my football season tickets soon.....then....all will be good in the world. Til next season.