Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Portland State Struggling Finacially in DI

Default Portland State Struggling Finacially in DI

Here is an article from the Oregonian that states Portland support has gone down in the past years. I am bringing this up wondering how long the Big Sky will live with these kind of numbers from them.

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/ore...1019327120.xml

Default Re: Portland State Struggling Finacially in DI

Kent...this would be a good question to ask them on E-Griz. Ask them if they wouldn't like us a lot more that the luke warm program at PSU....

Now I understand why Taylor has met with the Troy State AD and not the Portland State AD when he was looking for lessons learned in the transition.

Craig

Portland's main problem is that they're not a flagship in their state, they don't get any press coverage, and there is a lot of competition for the entertainment dollar. Add to this that they play on a small, rented, off-campus field and their basketball arena just plain sucks and you've got some problems. This is not to say that Portland State has no advantages over NDSU because they do. There's a lot more money in Portland, travel is easier, and they're in a tremendous recruiting area. However, I'd much rather be in NDSU's position no matter what the division.

Tony is right, I'll take Fargo or Brookings/Sioux Falls for dedicated fans any day, because were the only show in town. Many smaller D 1 schools struggle in large metro areas but thrive in small communities like Bozeman, Missoula, Starkville, MS. etc...
    Both NDSU and SDSU will have more support (attendance) than most 1AA schools and significantly more in Basketball when compared to other mid-major basketball conferences.
    P.S. I love this website-I'm a huge Jacks fan trapped in Dallas, TX.-This keeps me up to date.

Welcome Texas_Jacks_Fan,

I agree with you and Tony. Portland is also in the hunt for the Montreal Expos baseball franchise.

Quote Originally Posted by Texas_Jacks_Fan
    Tony is right, I'll take Fargo or Brookings/Sioux Falls for dedicated fans any day, because were the only show in town. Many smaller D 1 schools struggle in large metro areas but thrive in small communities like Bozeman, Missoula, Starkville, MS. *etc...
    Both NDSU and SDSU will have more support (attendance) than most 1AA schools and significantly more in Basketball when compared to other mid-major basketball conferences.
    P.S. I love this website-I'm a huge Jacks fan trapped in Dallas, TX.-This keeps me up to date.
    I agree. If I were a UNC fan, I would be worried about the similarities to Portland State. I don't know what the plan at UNC is, but some of their facilities (football seats something like 7000) definitely need to be upgraded for DI. They are also going to be fourth in line for DI schools in CO. I know they have an endowment set up to pay for the increased scholarships, but publicity is going to be tough to come by to sell their program.

Good to know there are some other board posters in my area! Welcome, Texas_Jacks_Fan.

Craig

Thanks Craig,
    UNC averaged only about 850 fans per basketball game, last year, and they play in a pretty marginal arena. I really dont see that changing a whole lot unless a new arena is built but I have not heard of any of those plans. I also dont see much more football recognition coming their way with CU and CSU and AFA just down the road, not to mention Univ. of Wyoming an hour and a half away. Outside of Greely, I'm not sure many in Colorado will notice a new D1 program. In North and South Dakota, Everyone will notice the change.
    I think this is just another example of the advantages that we have in the Dakotas in moving our programs up to D1. I think over the next few years the BSC may recognize that the success of the Montana schools can probably be repeated with SDSU and NDSU while the West Coast members continue to struggle to find their niche.

BisonMav Guest

Peter Coors and Dick Monfort could probably help finance any facilities UNC needed. After that they have to get the fans in the door, and that will be tougher in Colorado, with all the competition.

89rabbit is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I agree with you Texas Jacks Fan. It is hard to get noticed when you have est. D I programs near by. Here in Kansas City, UMKC would kill for a Frost arena crowd. They have the University of Kansas 40 min. away on the west and MU 2 hours to the east.

We (the Dakota State Schools) will have an advantage over some (if not all the other schools) that are wanting to move up.
    South Dakota State University
    Jackrabbits

http://cache.nmn.speedera.net/pics2/...0530015132.jpg