Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Next Year's Schedule

Default Next Year's Schedule

If you have trouble filling out your schedule in 2004, give A&M-Kingsville a call. We have an open date early in the season, and it will be tough to fill. I know y'all are looking to play DI or I-AA teams, but we could be a nice consolation.

Hope to see you in Florence!!

JBB Guest

Default Re: Next Year's Schedule

That would be a good game. I hope we call.

Jav_Fan,

Do you remember what happened the last time TAMUK played NDSU? ;D Seriously, I would like to see NDSU play TAMUK next year, I know your program is back to where it should be.
    Team Cinzano Tested. Team Cinzano Approved

Oh yeah I remember last time. That was one of the worst beatings I can remember us taking. And it was just the start of very bad 2 year period. I don't know what was worse, losing by so much to the Bison, or struggling in conference against teams that never had given us any trouble.

One thing is for sure, our guys don't take anything or anyone for granted anymore and we have learned to enjoy the good times much more.

I just don't understand the strength of schedule index. We get more points for beating a DII school with a 1-10 record than a DI-AA school from an automatic-qualifying conference. Where's the incentive to play a tougher schedule, other than knowing you will be a better team down the road.

Most Bison fans are wondering the same thing after beating the #3 at the time I-AA this year(Montana) and losing a fairly close game to UC Davis this year and being ranked #5 in the regional poll. It just doesn't make sense. Remember, NDSU was 2-8 last year, we also are enjoying a return to glory ;D.

Javfan...you are so right about that "strength of schedule". It is designed to punish those of us that seek out the toughest competition. I guess that is just one more reason (on top of about 10,000 other reasons) to get the hell out of D2. TAMUK is a class D2 program....wish there were more of you in D2.

Jav_Fan,

Are there any DI rumblings going on in TAMUK land? I thought I've seen something about TAMUK possibly moving up to DI. Maybe it was just some people thinking they should. ???

There are a few boosters down here that would love to move up. Money, as usual, is the main drawback. We don't have the enrollment, or alum base to financially support the move. Attendance for football is great, but not so for the other sports. Kingsville has a population of about 25,000. Our nearest city is Corpus Christi, (300,000) and the media there totally support their fledgling DI program (no football though), so we only get CC's scraps.

Also, I look at some of our former Lone Star Conference Schools that made the move up - Texas State (formerly Southwest Texas State), Sam Houston State, and Stephen F. Austin. Stephen F. Austin is the only one of these schools that has been competitive in I-AA. This is evident in their attendance which is less than ours. Portland State is another example of a school that moved up and has not come anywhere near the success that it enjoyed in D2.

So I guess for now, I am somewhat content to stay in D2 and enjoy the electricity in Javelina Stadium on a Saturday night, knowing that we have a good chance to compete for the national championship.

I wish the Bison the best of luck, and hope that you can defy the odds and win big in DI-AA.

Bisonfan1234 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Jav_Fan
    There are a few boosters down here that would love to move up. *Money, as usual, is the main drawback. *We don't have the enrollment, or alum base to financially support the move. *Attendance for football is great, but not so for the other sports. *Kingsville has a population of about 25,000. *Our nearest city is Corpus Christi, (300,000) and the media there totally support their fledgling DI program (no football though), so we only get CC's scraps. *

Also, I look at some of our former Lone Star Conference Schools that made the move up - Texas State (formerly Southwest Texas State), Sam Houston State, and Stephen F. Austin. *Stephen F. Austin is the only one of these schools that has been competitive in I-AA. *This is evident in their attendance which is less than ours. *Portland State is another example of a school that moved up and has not come anywhere near the success that it enjoyed in D2.

So I guess for now, I am somewhat content to stay in D2 and enjoy the electricity in Javelina Stadium on a Saturday night, knowing that we have a good chance to compete for the national championship.

I wish the Bison the best of luck, and hope that you can defy the odds and win big in DI-AA.
    That's a little negitive considering we've already beat the best D1AA has to offer (Montana). I have no doubt that in 4 (or 5 or whatever) years we'll be in the D1AA playoffs.

What is Kingsville's enrollment?