Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Babich

Guest Guest

Default Babich

Rams | Babich To Get Interview - posted at KFFL (http://nfl.kffl.com)
    6:58 PT: The St. Louis Post-Dispatch reports St. Louis Rams head coach Mike Martz plans to interview North Dakota State head coach Bob Babich on Monday. If hired, he would hold the title of defensive assistant/linebackers coach.

http://nfl.kffl.com/news/hotwire/

I don't believe this! Right in the middle of recruiting season! Dumb ***. I didn't believe the post on the insider message board, but it's seems to be fact. Found it in at a couple differenct sites. JD

Default Re: Babich

Here is the actual article from the St. Louis Post Dispatch:

Martz plans interviews for coaching vacancies

By Nick Wishart
    Of the Post-Dispatch
    01/24/2003 06:23 AM

Rams coach Mike Martz plans to interview two candidates Monday at Rams Park for the last two coaching vacancies on his staff.

Frank Falks, 59, last worked as running backs coach for the Detroit Lions. He held that position since he joined the team in 1997 but was let go when Bobby Ross was fired after the 2001 season. Martz will be talking to Falks about being his tight ends coach.

Falks has coached offense and defense over the course of his career. He worked at nine different colleges from 1968-93, and spent the next three seasons coaching tight ends and H-backs for the San Diego Chargers.

"When Bobby (Ross) got fired he just stayed out of it for a year," Martz said Thursday. "He wants to get back in it."

The other candidate is North Dakota State head coach Bob Babich, 41. If hired, Babich would hold the title of defensive assistant/linebackers.

In six seasons as head coach, Babich was 46-22. Before last season, he signed a contract extension through '04, but he has old coaching ties with Rams defensive coordinator Lovie Smith. Babich coached at Tulsa, Wisconsin, East Carolina and Pittsburgh before taking over at North Dakota State.

Hey, on the other hand he'd be following in the footsteps of Pete Campion, Lamar Gordon, and Jared Peck

For those of you who don't know, those are the three Bison players who went from the 2001 Bison roster to the 2002 Rams roster.

Edited because I don't know Peck's and Campion's status - and probably still won't until this summer.

I guess I'm just worried about retaining and adding additional recruits this year. So far it looks as if this is going to be a pretty decent class (including transfers). Just depends how up front Babich has been with these kids. I don't know what else to say. Just have to keep the eyes and ears open...

Not only will the players be familiar, but his good buddy Lovie Smith is the defensive coordinator.... JD

Maybe Lamar can pull some strings for Babich . I'm a little disappointed that Babich's resume seems to automatically be sent to any vacancy. First Tulsa, now this. This is supposed to be Babich's probationary year in my opinion. After the disappointing 2000 season(they should have added another NC), and last year, this is his year to prove himself. The recruiting this year appears solid and seems to be a good advancement in preparation for DI. If he lands the position, I hope the head coach interviews are a little more in-depth this time around.
    Team Cinzano Tested. Team Cinzano Approved

Guest Guest

I think it is best that Babich get out of the way so we can get on with the move to D1 with out his baggage. He was a very mediocre coach at we do not need that as we transition to D1. I am ver very happy to see him go. He is a a$$ for leaving this time of year, but I think he knows the writing is on the wall .

Looks like a done deal from The Forum:

Friend: Babich to Rams done deal
    By Jeff Kolpack
    jkolpack@forumcomm.com
    The Forum - 01/26/2003
    North Dakota State head football coach Bob Babich won’t elaborate on a potential assistant coaching job in the NFL until Monday.

Privately, those close to him think he’ll be the next assistant in charge of linebackers for the St. Louis Rams. He’s interviewing for the job on Monday morning.

One friend, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, says it’s a done deal.

Even NDSU athletic director Gene Taylor was looking to the future on Saturday, although he said he was doing it more out of preparation than knowledge.

Taylor already had names of potential replacements on paper.

Taylor did that last month, too, when Babich was a finalist for the University of Tulsa head position. But this one looks to have more reality to it.

“Probably a little bit more so this time,” Taylor said.

Taylor cites Babich’s friendship with Rams defensive coordinator Lovie Smith as the main reason.

The two coached together at the University of Tulsa and the University of Wisconsin.

Smith worked the Bison football clinic in 1998 when he was the linebackers coach at Tampa Bay.

When Babich interviewed with Tulsa, the school had several

candidates to choose from. The job was eventually offered to Buffalo Bills assistant Steve Kragthorpe.

The Rams’ linebacker job looks to be a one-horse race.

Rams head coach Mike Martz said he’ll interview two candidates for two assistant positions. Frank Falks, a 59-year-old long-time coach at several levels, is being considered for the assistant in charge of tight ends.

Taylor, who tried but had yet to get a hold of Smith, wanted to know about Babich’s competition.

“Is he one of one or one of several?” Taylor said.

Taylor said he will not pursue potential replacements “until Bob says it’s a done deal.”

That could come as soon as Monday.

Babich has a 46-22 record in six years as a Bison head coach.

He took his team to the NCAA Division II semifinals in 2000. The Bison, however, are coming off a 2-8 season. Lamar Gordon, a former Bison running back standout, was a rookie with the Rams last year. He was a backup to Marshall Faulk.

Readers can reach Forum reporter Jeff Kolpack at (701) 241-5546
    Team Cinzano Tested. Team Cinzano Approved

I would hazard to guess if Babich leaves, Bradley is the front-runner to replace him. This would have the best chance of retaining this year's recruits and provides a direct link to the championship teams of the 80's.

Any other candidates? Perhaps Taylor has some contacts outside of the NDSU pipeline?

Craig

NDSU_grad is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I posted this before when Babich was interviewing for the Tulsa job, but my short list would be Bradley, Mark Mauer, and Randy Hedberg.

I sent this email to Gene Taylor this morning....

If Bob leaves, and it does look that way, Casey would certainly be a
    strong candidate and the only candidate from the current staff. To be
    fair to the program and Coach Bradley I will do a national search and
    if Gus is the best of the candidates that will make it better for Gus
    in the long run.

I had input from some of the players when Bob was involved with the
    Tulsa job about Coach Bradley.

Thanks for your concern.

Gene

Quoting:

> Mr. Taylor-
    >
    > I think everyone's pretty sure Bob Babich is leaving, for better or
    > for
    > worse; most like for the better of this football program. You had
    > talked about this 'short list' of candidates for the head football
    > coaching position.
    >
    > I sincerely hope Casey Bradley is on that list. In fact, I talked to
    > 2
    > memeber of the team and a team-maker (separately) last night. It
    > was
    > odd how all of them emphatically wanted Coach Bradley promoted. He
    > is
    > great with the players and has very strong ties to NDSU.
    >
    > You should pick whoever you think is the best candidate, but you
    > would
    > make many people happy by picking Coach Bradley (and not Glenn
    > Caruso
    > for God sakes).