Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Craig Bohl Is the Right Choice

Default Craig Bohl Is the Right Choice

After studying Bohl's credentials, I think he is the right choice. Gene Taylor did do his homework. He got a coach with Division I experience at a winning school and one that has Bison ties. He was with the Bison as an assistant in one of the best seasons in Bison history in 1984 runners-up position and has one Division I-A championships in 1996 & 1997 with Nebraska.

Terry Allen might have been his top choice and one that I was hoping for but we get the best of both worlds in with Bohl. Both DI experienc and someone that has been around the Bison tradition.

I can't wait until the season starts.

Default Re: Craig Bohl Is the Right Choice

Yeah, after a little internet education, Bohl seems like a very good choice. The Nebraska defense was ranked #55 last year, but the offense was #61. I thought Taylor was going to bring an "offensive-minded" coach in, but both of the finalists weren't. Bohl mentioned on WDAY that he hadn't looked into whether or not he would keep any of the assistants. Looks like Gus might have another interview. I was a little worried after seeing his picture in The Forum this morning, though(it was somebody else).

Anybody think Bohl resembles Judge Mills Lane?

New motto for the '03 season- Let's get it on! ;D
    Team Cinzano Tested. Team Cinzano Approved

Yeah, I noticed that too but it wasn't nearly as striking as the resemblance between Dennis Wagner and Foreman Elf.

Oh yeah, for those of you who don't like long-term contracts, this is a FIVE-YEAR deal. I've got no problem with this because the program could use some stability during its transition.

Holy Cow!

Wagner already had his Bison coaching uniform on in that picture! ;D

Bison Guy,

I like the Mills Lane comparison. I can't wait see the Bison "Get it on". I can see the Fargodome playing that sound bite segment from the MTV show when there is a kickoff. I haven't been to a home game lately, living in Kansas but the "March is on" thing was getting old when I was there as a student and the couple times since when I was there.

Lets hope there are a lot of kickoffs to have to stand up for next year. From the sound of Bohl's statement he wants to have a wide open offense and an aggressive defense. This is exactly what we need in my opinion. I think the defense needs to take some chances which in turn leads to some mistakes on the opposing offense and brings in a lot of big plays. As long as the secondary can cover, the chance taking defense will be great.

On offense, we have the tools to be very explosive. We have a Big 10 quarterback, three speedsters at wide receiver and two very good running backs just from the way it looks right now. The talent was there last year but the injuries didn't let any rhythm happen.

Although I was hoping Gus got the job, I think that Bohl will do a good job. He truly is the best compromise between bringing in someone with a fresh approach and someone who has a past link to the program (albeit a very short-tenured link).

As far as Taylor doing his homework, I am waiting for a finder's fee (Taylor obviously reads Bisonville regularly ), as I posted this back in the "Buyout Offered" thread on December 4:

I agree that Babich will fulfill his contract at NDSU, but I read that Craig Bohl was fired as Nebraska D-coordinator yesterday. *He would be an interesting candidate for head coach of the Bison. *For those of you who might not remember him, he was a D-backs coach under Don Morton in 1984. *I imagine with the move up to D1-AA, he might be interested in the position, should Babich get bought out (again, highly unlikely, but an interesting hypothetical, nonetheless).
    Craig
    Oh, and a far as motto's go, I will stick with Bring on the Competition - it seemed to work well when I was at NDSU.

Craig

edit: motto was the wrong term in my previous post. I meant advertising theme or whatever that "yellow" thing was last year.

Hey guys! Thought I'd join in the fun, as long as suerock stays off here. How about the teacher on back to the future. He told marty he was a slacker!!! Anyway guys who do you think bohl is going hire as coordinators? As far as the current staff, Im not all that thrilled with what they have top to bottom. (especially on offense)

bisonincolorado. I've surfed the net re: Bohl and Nebraska football. You come away impressed with the next level in which Mr. Bohl operated. He's got to know some studs. Given the turnover in coaches this time of year, it will be interesting who, what names, may arise. I'll be suprised if any of the current staff remain. Still would like to see Casey stay around. Blessed silence without the siouxrock!

I think that the assistants have to share some of the blame for the Babich years. They need to take a good hard look at what is going on with the assistants. That said, there probably should be some that are kept. Remember the assistants (probably Bradley) played a huge role in this incredible recruiting year.