Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Eli Green --> Transfer Portal

steelbison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Eli Green --> Transfer Portal

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    I hope that changes. Quinyon Mitchell was on everyone's list after his junior year. Every big time school in the nation was making sure the young man knew he was welcome to their program if he was to transfer.

Mitchell said he could have gone anywhere and made a lot of money transferring but Toledo was the only d-1 school who offered him and he felt he owed the program to stay.

By its nature, NDSU recruits kids who might be missing something that would make him an impact player at a p5 school. I hope some of those that build up to being legitimate p5 players will remember who offered and helped get them there. Hopefully, more will stay.

It's a five year program (four for some), you follow it, and if you are good enough, the nfl will find you. They will find you having developed into a good player with a degree and hopefully some maturity.

Or NDSU becomes a feeder program and builds up better recruiting classes it can use right away. No more redshirts and you start contributing on day one. You are a p5 potential athlete where you become a four year starter by doing the first two as a Bison. Now, you need relationships at the p5 level instead of recruiting adversaries.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
    That’s a pipe dream. Most kids are taking the money and I don’t blame them. The system is broken and personally this will be my last year supporting Bison athletics. With tailgating and season tickets and NIL I pay about 7500 a year.

I’m not going to watch us become a minor league for the Alabama’s of the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by steelbison View Post
    That’s a pipe dream. Most kids are taking the money and I don’t blame them. The system is broken and personally this will be my last year supporting Bison athletics. With tailgating and season tickets and NIL I pay about 7500 a year.

I’m not going to watch us become a minor league for the Alabama’s of the world.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Exactly how I feel about this semi pro approach to college athletics. There will many more who drop their support as this really sucks.

I wonder if support will fall at all levels except the P2 conferences with so many players transferring year after year.
    It's OK to not be OK.

Grizzled is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    I wonder if support will fall at all levels except the P2 conferences with so many players transferring year after year.
    It’s already falling. This certainly won’t help.

BigLakeBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    My belief is that support will fall even at the P4 level. I'm guessing the leaders are banking on all of us fans of non P4 teams will "pick" a P4 team to root for. My feeling is that a lot of fans will just stop paying as much attention to college football and college basketball overall. I guess time will tell.

I think collectively fans will grumble but will adapt to the new ways things work. College football and college basketball have garnered record viewership on TV and streaming over the last few years so media contracts will continue to balloon and continue to keep the coffers full at most colleges at NDSU's level and above.

BigLakeBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    I think collectively fans will grumble but will adapt to the new ways things work. College football and college basketball have garnered record viewership over the last few years so media contracts will continue to balloon and continue to keep the coffers full at most colleges at NDSU's level and above.
    I guess we'll see. I think with college sports especially, the traditions and fandom are often passed down from generation to generation. If the older generations pull away somewhat, they likely aren't pulling their kids into the mix as much and eventually the numbers decline. You may be right, but I think that there is going to be a cultural shift here somewhat because they have ventured away from what college athletics meant to people.

I think collectively fans will grumble but will adapt to the new ways things work. College football and college basketball have garnered record viewership on TV and streaming over the last few years so media contracts will continue to balloon and continue to keep the coffers full at most colleges at NDSU's level and above.
    Maybe it will give the P5 conferences more viewers with the P2 fans checking to see which players might get called up from the "AAA team" into the big leagues next year.
    It's OK to not be OK.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I think it's possible this could implode with fewer fans similar to what happened to NASCAR. But time will tell. Fans have been threatening to leave for various reasons over the past few years but numbers are still strong. They may just adapt.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

NI4NI is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    I think it's possible this could implode with fewer fans similar to what happened to NASCAR. But time will tell. Fans have been threatening to leave for various reasons over the past few years but numbers are still strong. They may just adapt.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
    As I was catching up on this thread I was assembling the "NASCAR reply on my mind. You beat me to it! In the 90's & early 2000's NASCAR was on fire. Nearly every cup race was a sellout & memorabilia was everywhere.
    What went south?
    Undoubtedly the death of Dale Sr. was a blow, but more so was NASCAR's efforts to 'refine' it's image. They started fining drivers for less than eloquent post race interviews. Especially if it contained any criticism of mother NASCAR. They acted like their audience was captive and made it easy for us to say "Fuck you. I'll mow my lawn on Sunday instead".

Well, I bet a lot of people are ready to say the same thing to the NCAA.