Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Eli Green --> Transfer Portal

Default Re: Eli Green --> Transfer Portal

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    The money would go back to whoever provided it (i.e. collective). The schools aren't involved in the money itself when it comes to NIL. Again, they provide input on who it should go to. I wonder if it's happened yet where an NIL booster wanted to offer money to athlete X but the school wasn't interested. It's very possible that has already happened, and I'm sure it will become more common as we move forward. Imagine if someone like Chapo ran the collective. He would be offering money to Twin City athletes NDSU wasn't recruiting for some reason. That could get ugly.
    But they do provide scholarship, room board, books, travel, coaching, Full cost of attendance. Huge investment that should be recouped.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    But they do provide scholarship, room board, books, travel, coaching, Full cost of attendance. Huge investment that should be recouped.
    Similar to a new job that requires payback of training/certification expenses if you leave before a certain date, could the NCAA simply make that part of your letter of intent?

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzled View Post
    I don’t believe anything is stopping someone for paying an athlete directly for the “NIL”. Stoke the check for an appearance or “camp” and all is good.
    Yep players have been paid under the table since this game began. This will not stop payments to the elites.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    Similar to a new job that requires payback of training/certification expenses if you leave before a certain date, could the NCAA simply make that part of your letter of intent?
    Why not. Then they would know up front. How much that would help id debatable as when you arrive on campus you get the talk about all the do and donts and some still do.

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    Why not. Then they would know up front. How much that would help id debatable as when you arrive on campus you get the talk about all the do and donts and some still do.
    Essentially the feds told the NCAA that athletes are employees and that ties their hands on so many options but imo if they are like employees you should be able to have them sign a contract that states if they transfer to another university before graduation to play the same sport they are responsible for repayment of the investment into them as an employee. I know there is way more nuance to it but if the NCAA and the conferences want to curb transferring there are ways.

daddy daycare is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by slips View Post
    Talked to a Bison football player this past weekend and he said there are more transfer portal entrants that haven't been made public yet...ugg!
    Think it ends today...so we should find out shortly.

Grizzled is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Essentially the feds told the NCAA that athletes are employees and that ties their hands on so many options but imo if they are like employees you should be able to have them sign a contract that states if they transfer to another university before graduation to play the same sport they are responsible for repayment of the investment into them as an employee. I know there is way more nuance to it but if the NCAA and the conferences want to curb transferring there are ways.
    The universities aren’t paying NIL. When an athlete decides to transfer, their scholarship ends when they leave school or end of semester. NIL payback has nothing to do with a universities and conferences but are up to private businesses.

The universities aren’t paying NIL. When an athlete decides to transfer, their scholarship ends when they leave school or end of semester. NIL payback has nothing to do with a universities and conferences but are up to private businesses.
    I’m not talking about NIL.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t believe anything is stopping someone for paying an athlete directly for the “NIL”. Stoke the check for an appearance or “camp” and all is good.
    I was wondering this myself. If I want to pay an athlete to sponsor my business, do I just draw up a contract between my business and the aforementioned athlete or do I need to run it past some other entity first? Do I have to be a member of the collective (which I am, BTW) in order to do this?

While we are on the issue of the collective, how much money does the "Green and the Gold" have at its disposal? I'm assuming since it is a new organization, they probably don't have a whole lot to work with yet.

This is exactly what needs to happen. Each player that is offered should have to sign a contract with various forms of stipulations, depending upon how the coaching staff feels about the player. Of course, the player would also want a contract that would be advantageous to his position, which is where the negotiations would have to take place.