Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Eli Green --> Transfer Portal

Default Re: Eli Green --> Transfer Portal

Any other players enter the transfer portal today?
    Hail The Bison! The March Is Still On!

BISONBRI53 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by unbison View Post
    How did you get to stadiums from what he wrote
    And wtf do nfl stadiums have to do with nil money
    It's Gabe. Give it time... It will come together... Maybe a rendering to follow.
    BISONBRI53 [/FONT]

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    I dont have an issue with multi purpose stadiums if teams share the cost and it hosts other events. But football only I tend to agree

But every NFL team (but 1) plays in a taxpayer funded stadium and the league wouldn't exist without them.
    The one we have in Indy is used for so much more than the Colts. I'm guessing it's used 200 days a year for something. Only 10-12 of those are for the Colts. It makes sense for someone other than the team to own the stadium.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

NI4NI is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    The one we have in Indy is used for so much more than the Colts. I'm guessing it's used 200 days a year for something. Only 10-12 of those are for the Colts. It makes sense for someone other than the team to own the stadium.

True. But few if any of those other events need a facility as over the top as the NFL teams demand. Those other events would do just fine with a facility of a fraction of the costs.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NI4NI View Post
    True. But few if any of those other events need a facility as over the top as the NFL teams demand. Those other events would do just fine with a facility of a fraction of the costs.
    That's not true. Just a few I've attended it am familiar with. Monster Truck. Super Cross. Concerts. Final Four. College Football Championship. Super Bowl. NFL Combine. Big Ten Football championship. NBA All Star Game events. Vex Robotics State championship. High school Football championship. National FFA Convention. Bands of America Championships. Circle City Classic (HBCU feature game). I believe several of the big conventions we have also utilize that space (Comic Con, Gen Con). The Olympic swimming and diving trials are going to be held there this year. It's a very busy facility. It makes no sense for the Colts to have the staff to manage it. They are tenants just like everyone else. A very important tenant.

NI4NI is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

That's not true. Just a few I've attended it am familiar with. Monster Truck. Super Cross. Concerts. Final Four. College Football Championship. Super Bowl. NFL Combine. Big Ten Football championship. NBA All Star Game events. Vex Robotics State championship. High school Football championship. National FFA Convention. Bands of America Championships. Circle City Classic (HBCU feature game). I believe several of the big conventions we have also utilize that space (Comic Con, Gen Con). The Olympic swimming and diving trials are going to be held there this year. It's a very busy facility. It makes no sense for the Colts to have the staff to manage it. They are tenants just like everyone else. A very important tenant.

Impressive list of events indeed. I appreciate the enlightenment.

Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    This whole thread basically sums up why so many people are losing interest in college sports. NIL and especially the transfer portal has sucked the fun out of it for me.

I thought the Portly one was off his rocker when he has suggested multiple times over the last 10 years that too much emphasis is placed, and too much taxpayer money spent, on college sports. I am coming around to his viewpoint. He suggested that collegiate sports should be modeled after clubs -- see NDSU rugby, lacrosse, club baseball, hockey, etc. This is just a guess, but I think those clubs probably fund-raise 95-97% of their budget. That's how it was for us back in the mid to late 90's -- the whole club got around $500-$1000/year from student gov't, other than that we were on our own. We traveled all over the midwest for games 4-6 times per year with the other 4-6 games at home. The travel got expensive. We threw keggers at the "The Party Room" (who remembers that place?) to make money and were constantly asking for donations.

Want a full-ride scholarship and COA? Get good grades for an academic scholarship or convince people to create a specific scholarship/COA endowment for your sport or major. Want to pay for school and didn't get a scholarship? Join the Guard. Want to play sports in college? Better start fundraising and better have a flexible boss for your part-time job during the school year. Want to see a sport succeed at your alma mater? Give 'til hurts, and then give some more.

Should there not be any institutional funds or taxpayer dollars supporting college sports? Seemed like a crazy question to me 10 years ago. Now, not so much.
    I'm with RTO. I don't see how this will be sustainable for smaller programs like NDSU. Something has got to give. I'm starting to see a scenario where the lower divisions of football are not allowed to give out anything above scholarships.

Grizzled is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

If stadiums made money, people (not cities) would be lining up to own them.

Taxpayers don’t fund million dollar salaries for coaches and fancy locker rooms. Those are paid by TV networks.
    It's OK to not be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by thunderingherd View Post
    More like the young farmhand you've been training for a couple years, decides to go to the neighbor down the road because they offer better pay, better training and better health insurance. If scholarships are year to year, just like a farmhand that doesn't sign a contract, does the farmer that now employs the farmhand owe money to the other farmer?
    My question is who in the hell employs farmhands and offers health insurance? Maybe Scottie does, but he's always "high". What's next, a 401k plan? disclaimer: just being facetious.....