Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eli Green --> Transfer Portal

Hybrid View

Default Re: Eli Green --> Transfer Portal

Quote Originally Posted by Grizzled View Post
    What I am getting at is schools couldn’t afford your proposal. In order for a buyout to be required on one side, a 5 year guarantee would be required on the other. Regardless of what schools do, scholarships still are year to year. I don’t think a coach would want to have them guaranteed when you only get 63. Miss on a class or two and the financial hit via lost attendance would sink non P5 schools.

The whole discussion was around NIL and schools have nothing to do with directing those funds.
    I dont get why a 5 year buy out would be required. Every school basically knows what it has invested in a student athlete. Another school wants your kid. OK its going to cost you X. For the athlete transferring he knows the risks. Plus that school can write their own contract with the kid for coming.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

It doesn't seem like the athletes are tweeting out that they are leaving the program like they used to.

I never saw a post from Andrew Morgan (MBB), Elle Evans (WBB), etc.
    Hail The Bison! The March Is Still On!

NI4NI is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Tell me when a scholarship has been offered to a HS athlete who went on to redshirt a year, play a couple more years and then the scholarship not offered for Jr/Sr year?
    When a college offers a HS athlete a 'full ride' it is implied for the entirety of said eligibility. Is it not?

Point taken though. Perhaps when offering a scholarship a binding contract aught to be attached?

Quote Originally Posted by NI4NI View Post
    Tell me when a scholarship has been offered to a HS athlete who went on to redshirt a year, play a couple more years and then the scholarship not offered for Jr/Sr year?
    When a college offers a HS athlete a 'full ride' it is implied for the entirety of said eligibility. Is it not?

Point taken though. Perhaps when offering a scholarship a binding contract aught to be attached?
    John Crockett was a grey shirt. Pay your way year #1 to get academics in order and then he earned a full ride.

Players lose scholarships but it's rare. It's often linked to off field behavior or bad grades

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by NI4NI View Post

Actually happened to a starting receiver at Iowa may be 10 years ago. Kid was a cancer with bad attitude. Bye.

When recruited they say the scholly is good for 4-5 years but its renewed every year------------unless you become academically ineligible or for conduct unbecoming. Of course those stipulations can be enforced or not depending on the athlete.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    I dont get why a 5 year buy out would be required. Every school basically knows what it has invested in a student athlete. Another school wants your kid. OK its going to cost you X. For the athlete transferring he knows the risks. Plus that school can write their own contract with the kid for coming.
    I get both sides here. Grizzled is on the mark with year to year commitments from the school but 56 is also right because NIL is third party agreement. A business entering a NIL agreement could sign for more than one year and implement buy backs.

It would get really hairy. Clauses for not making the team and leaving. The student/athlete will just say give me a little less and we'll keep it year to year like my scholarship.

It's going to be interesting because right now there doesn't seem to be any loyalty. Maybe that will change as everyone gets used to the different systems available and what happens to student/ athletes in the long run.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by td577 View Post
    I get both sides here. Grizzled is on the mark with year to year commitments from the school but 56 is also right because NIL is third party agreement. A business entering a NIL agreement could sign for more than one year and implement buy backs.

It would get really hairy. Clauses for not making the team and leaving. The student/athlete will just say give me a little less and we'll keep it year to year like my scholarship.

It's going to be interesting because right now there doesn't seem to be any loyalty. Maybe that will change as everyone gets used to the different systems available and what happens to student/ athletes in the long run.

The only reason there was loyalty before was because the athlete had to sit out for a year if they transferred up or within the FBS level. NIL gave schools another tool to help recruit so that added to it. Call it forced loyalty. Not unlike the golden handcuffs someone who has worked for many years at the same place and has a ton of PTO and possibly a pension. They may not like their job, but they know if they leave, they see giving up a lot of benefits they don't get at the next place.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    The only reason there was loyalty before was because the athlete had to sit out for a year if they transferred up or within the FBS level. NIL gave schools another tool to help recruit so that added to it. Call it forced loyalty. Not unlike the golden handcuffs someone who has worked for many years at the same place and has a ton of PTO and possibly a pension. They may not like their job, but they know if they leave, they see giving up a lot of benefits they don't get at the next place.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
    I hope that changes. Quinyon Mitchell was on everyone's list after his junior year. Every big time school in the nation was making sure the young man knew he was welcome to their program if he was to transfer.

Mitchell said he could have gone anywhere and made a lot of money transferring but Toledo was the only d-1 school who offered him and he felt he owed the program to stay.

By its nature, NDSU recruits kids who might be missing something that would make him an impact player at a p5 school. I hope some of those that build up to being legitimate p5 players will remember who offered and helped get them there. Hopefully, more will stay.

It's a five year program (four for some), you follow it, and if you are good enough, the nfl will find you. They will find you having developed into a good player with a degree and hopefully some maturity.

Or NDSU becomes a feeder program and builds up better recruiting classes it can use right away. No more redshirts and you start contributing on day one. You are a p5 potential athlete where you become a four year starter by doing the first two as a Bison. Now, you need relationships at the p5 level instead of recruiting adversaries.

There's something funny to me about listing a "top 21".
    Undefeated vs UNI fans, BVille Libtards, Tony, Pulmonary Embolisms & Bad Vibes

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin View Post
    There's something funny to me about listing a "top 21".
    Should just take one.......Top 21 is funny
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.