Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Elle in the portal

bisonfan08 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Elle in the portal

Elle hitting the portal sucks big time but the fact that we ever got her here in the first place was a credit to Jory and the staff. When you're 6'3", athletic and top 5 in the country in 3pt% and FT% teams are going to take notice. I've met Elle, she's as kind and good hearted of a person as there is, I truly believe she was not in a position to leave immediately after the Minnesota game but through the post season she likely caught a lot of eyes and as soon as she got home the calls and offers likely started rolling in. Assuming a few of the offers were just too good to pass up.

The only good news is we still have a great roster, just no longer have a POY candidate so we likely fell back down a tier below SDSU instead of even with them. This will move Abby K into Elle's spot at the 3 which is her natural position, she just played the 4 this year because well, she wasn't going to get minutes over Elle. So she'll likely start at the 3, Koenen at the 4 and Abby Graham will likely see a few more minutes backing up the 3 spot. We have some more talented freshman on the way as well and there's always a chance we could land a transfer to fill some experience as well. I have faith in what Jory's building and the transfer portal isn't quite as brutal on the women's side but Elle is a star so she's going to go make her money.

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    Sure but we don't get to make that decision, the courts already did.
    Sure, I just mean in terms of how you feel about it. I still get to choose where I spend my entertainment dollars. I haven't walked away, but I've definitely been drifting away. This latest news doesn't help.
    Get your BB tickets now!!!

bisoneer is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Summit Conference should file a lawsuit to the ncaa and P5s for compensation. Swanees firm can do it. That how all this crap started was with lawsuits and petitions. If we give more to get and keep players here we need contracts! And if no contract we need a compensation agreement. Let the lawsuits begin now!
    Let's Go Bison!!!

Quote Originally Posted by bisonfan08 View Post
    Elle hitting the portal sucks big time but the fact that we ever got her here in the first place was a credit to Jory and the staff. When you're 6'3", athletic and top 5 in the country in 3pt% and FT% teams are going to take notice. I've met Elle, she's as kind and good hearted of a person as there is, I truly believe she was not in a position to leave immediately after the Minnesota game but through the post season she likely caught a lot of eyes and as soon as she got home the calls and offers likely started rolling in. Assuming a few of the offers were just too good to pass up.

The only good news is we still have a great roster, just no longer have a POY candidate so we likely fell back down a tier below SDSU instead of even with them. This will move Abby K into Elle's spot at the 3 which is her natural position, she just played the 4 this year because well, she wasn't going to get minutes over Elle. So she'll likely start at the 3, Koenen at the 4 and Abby Graham will likely see a few more minutes backing up the 3 spot. We have some more talented freshman on the way as well and there's always a chance we could land a transfer to fill some experience as well. I have faith in what Jory's building and the transfer portal isn't quite as brutal on the women's side but Elle is a star so she's going to go make her money.
    That's all great but the minute one of them flashes, they'll be gone again and we're right back to square one.

Quote Originally Posted by Gully View Post
    That's all great but the minute one of them flashes, they'll be gone again and we're right back to square one.
    That's possible but it's not always going to happen. I mean Heaven Hamling just finished her career as NDSU's 4th leading scorer all-time I believe. She was first team All-Summit after the 22/23 season and certainly could've left for a more prestigious school for this season had she chose to. You'll lose some who flash but you'll also keep some. Also keep in mind that Heaven was a transfer to NDSU. She started her career at Stephen F Austin in 18/19.

Bottom line is NDSU women's basketball is in a better place because Elle Evans spent 2 years here - it sucks she's not spending two more but I'd take the freshman and sophomore version of Elle Evans over the junior and senior versions of almost any other women's basketball player the Bison have had recently. Instead of pouting and cursing the system I'd hope Jory Collins and NDSU WBB embrace it and use this as a recruiting tool to get more Elle Evans type players in the future even if they're only here for a year or two.

It's time for contracts, not scholarships; spell it all out on paper where both parties have rights and obligations that are protected. For the athlete employee (not going to use student-athlete), his rights are protected and so are the employer school's rights. If said athlete doesn't like his obligation, don't fucking sign the contract. This has to come from above (NCAA) and it has to be universally adopted by all schools, and it would have to be court tested, of course. I think the P5/6 schools will go for this because the mid-tier P5's are getting hammer by the portal also. They might view it as leveling the playing field to an extent. Those who don't sign are probably the type of person a coach wouldn't have on the roster after a year anyway so what the hell is the difference? I'm with CAS on this subject and Evans has become a non-entity now; not going to follow her or where ever the hell she decides to attend.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    That's possible but it's not always going to happen. I mean Heaven Hamling just finished her career as NDSU's 4th leading scorer all-time I believe. She was first team All-Summit after the 22/23 season and certainly could've left for a more prestigious school for this season had she chose to. You'll lose some who flash but you'll also keep some. Also keep in mind that Heaven was a transfer to NDSU. She started her career at Stephen F Austin in 18/19.

Bottom line is NDSU women's basketball is in a better place because Elle Evans spent 2 years here - it sucks she's not spending two more but I'd take the freshman and sophomore version of Elle Evans over the junior and senior versions of almost any other women's basketball player the Bison have had recently. Instead of pouting and cursing the system I'd hope Jory Collins and NDSU WBB embrace it and use this as a recruiting tool to get more Elle Evans type players in the future even if they're only here for a year or two.
    Most of this gained traction well into Heaven's career.

Good luck!

I saw an X post by Sam Herder that quite a few Bison football players that entered the transfer portal last year and didn't get an offer they thought they were going to get wanted to rejoin the Bison. They were not welcomed back. That might explain the lower number of transfer portal players for football.

It is like everything else. Don't quit the job you have unless.you already have a better job lined up.

I'm almost positive Elle knows exactly where she is playing next year and for how much money.

The players that transfer out due to lack of playing time and catch on somewhere else that is good for all involved.
    Hail The Bison! The March Is Still On!

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by KC_Hats View Post
    The players that transfer out due to lack of playing time and catch on somewhere else that is good for all involved.
    Not necessarily. I believe somewhere around 50% of athletes who enter the portal don't get another scholarship somewhere.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    Not necessarily. I believe somewhere around 50% of athletes who enter the portal don't get another scholarship somewhere.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk
    One way to get fewer kids in the portal might be to make sure they are educated on the amount of kids who don't get another scholarship.
    College of Business Alumnus