Page 8 of 11 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Elle in the portal

IndyBison is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Elle in the portal

Quote Originally Posted by ByeSonBusiness View Post
    One way to get fewer kids in the portal might be to make sure they are educated on the amount of kids who don't get another scholarship.
    They'll always believe they'll be on the right side of the 50%. The one thing I don't know is how many scholarship athletes did not return the following year with eligibility before the transfer portal. If that was 50% then this group didn't change that much. They are just leaving a different way and maybe not always by their choice.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

bisoneer is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

AP news feb. 23, 2024:

The NCAA lost another legal battle Friday as a federal judge barred the organization from enforcing its rules prohibiting name, image and likeness compensation for recruits by granting a preliminary injunction demanded by the states of Tennessee and Virginia.
    Feb. 23, 2024—news release:

It was another blow to the NCAA’s ability to govern college sports and more than 500,000 athletes.

Gabe Feldman, a sports law professor at Tulane, said an act of Congress might save the NCAA even as he noted this was just a preliminary injunction in one district court with the NCAA expected to appeal. That would go to the 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals overseeing Tennessee, Kentucky, Ohio and Michigan.
    Let's Go Bison!!!

I'd be interested to know if our collective was consulted to try to match any offers to try to keep her here.

I also think it's interesting that her departure is getting way more discussion than the annual exodus from Dave's squad.
    North Dakota State, a football team the big boys of college football should avoid like the plague, helped christen a $90 million renovation to Snyder Family Stadium — including a statue of famed Kansas State coach Bill Snyder himself — by taking a sledgehammer to the place.
    Bob Lutz, The Wichita Eagle, August 30th, 2013

Virginia tech offered her out of high school - VT coach recently moved to Kentucky so they might be the front runner. Kentucky got a PG commit from VT that averaged 18 a game.

NI4NI is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Would be nice to see her land at Wisconsin, Iowa or Nebraska.

Quote Originally Posted by KSBisonFan View Post
    I'd be interested to know if our collective was consulted to try to match any offers to try to keep her here.

I also think it's interesting that her departure is getting way more discussion than the annual exodus from Dave's squad.

Relatively speaking, of the players that left DR's team, maybe there's no one that has left his team has a more impact in leaving than Evan's departure.

Quote Originally Posted by bisoneer View Post
    AP news feb. 23, 2024:

The NCAA lost another legal battle Friday as a federal judge barred the organization from enforcing its rules prohibiting name, image and likeness compensation for recruits by granting a preliminary injunction demanded by the states of Tennessee and Virginia.
    Feb. 23, 2024—news release:

It was another blow to the NCAA’s ability to govern college sports and more than 500,000 athletes.

Gabe Feldman, a sports law professor at Tulane, said an act of Congress might save the NCAA even as he noted this was just a preliminary injunction in one district court with the NCAA expected to appeal. That would go to the 6th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals overseeing Tennessee, Kentucky, Ohio and Michigan.
    I cant believe the 2A is still this stupid.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

bisonp is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Gully View Post
    Sure, I just mean in terms of how you feel about it. I still get to choose where I spend my entertainment dollars. I haven't walked away, but I've definitely been drifting away. This latest news doesn't help.
    Yep, that's why I drifted away and reverted to occasional lurking and fair weather fandom. I can't bring myself to really care all that much about these teams anymore. Clearly from the lack of butts in seats for all the sports I'm not the only one. Best run this team has had in decades yet they couldn't fill the arena with free tickets.

I've been saying this for years, but college sports are broken and not sustainable. Only a couple dozen college athletic programs in the entire country make money, and the only reason they do is because of donations. Why the hell should taxpayers and students be spending ridiculous amounts of money subsidizing athletic programs that are now relegated to being little more than feeder programs for other schools? That's even happening now at large and rich schools like Minnesota. They have little chance of ever competing for titles in the new B1G Super Conference. Inevitably people will catch on and a rich and storied pillar of Americana will crumble.

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    I cant believe the 2A is still this stupid.
    During law school we had some high end attorneys on both sides of the college sports arguments come and talk. They all agreed the NCAA is going to lose a ton of lawsuits unless and until congress does something.

I don't know if the NCAA is dumb or not, but it seems like they have a shitty hand at the poker table. They hired the former republican governor of Massachusetts Charlie Baker to take over. My understanding is that the goal was that he might be able to work with Congress to get something figured out.
    College of Business Alumnus