Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Spring Football 2024

Default Re: Spring Football 2024

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post
    I heard an interesting anecdote from Grant Olsen about the installation of the defense and how TP wants to install starting with the basics and work through those even if the offense can see what's coming because it's not about winning plays in spring ball, it's about the players truly understanding their alignments and fits. Made me wonder how different that style is from the Entz era and possibly why we saw the defense decline and heard comments about "getting back to basics" halfway through the year last year. Were they trying to do too much too fast instead of just teaching the guys how to line-up, find their responsibility and tackle.
    One interesting nugget on the defense decline. I'd heard that after UND from a few sources that Entz had basically taken over DC coordinator duties with help form Grant Olson. McFeelly basically confirmed that on Izzo's show on Tuesday.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    One interesting nugget on the defense decline. I'd heard that after UND from a few sources that Entz had basically taken over DC coordinator duties with help form Grant Olson. McFeelly basically confirmed that on Izzo's show on Tuesday.
    I heard the same thing from some parents. And was no surprise Petrino is gone.

533 In a row

Would someone please post details of Spring Showcase?
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Yep. If you're thinking and slow to react you are kind of fucked. Gotta play fast. It was quite apparent Entz was in control of the defense later in the year because we were flying to the ball and gang tackling. You can always add new wrinkles as the season progresses. You don't want to keep the uber talented young kids off the field because they have to learn too much

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Bisman is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Yep. If you're thinking and slow to react you are kind of fucked. Gotta play fast. It was quite apparent Entz was in control of the defense later in the year because we were flying to the ball and gang tackling. You can always add new wrinkles as the season progresses. You don't want to keep the uber talented young kids off the field because they have to learn too much
    Coach Hedberg recently said, "It's not what the coaches can draw up but what the players can execute."
    Last edited by Bisman; 04-01-2024 at 01:21 PM.

SDBison and I re-watched 1st half of Montana game last night. Tackling was horrible.

That said, had we stuck with run game, we win that game. We were the better team IMO.
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    SDBison and I re-watched 1st half of Montana game last night. Tackling was horrible.

That said, had we stuck with run game, we win that game. We were the better team IMO.
    I think they ran out of gas vs Montana. The defense played their ass off for 4 quarters but were gassed in OT. Of course when you shit the bed early in the year and don't earn a bye week and have to travel to a different time zone 2 weeks in a row, it's going to catch up

But I agree completely that we win the game if we stick to the run. 9 of 23 throwing the ball and stupid trick plays wont win many games

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Kujava23 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I think they ran out of gas vs Montana. The defense played their ass off for 4 quarters but were gassed in OT. Of course when you shit the bed early in the year and don't earn a bye week and have to travel to a different time zone 2 weeks in a row, it's going to catch up

But I agree completely that we win the game if we stick to the run. 9 of 23 throwing the ball and stupid trick plays wont win many games
    Or Cam Miller having to throw the ball to win games.....doesn't work

Bisman is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Grant Olson's priority with Bison football: tackle better

https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison...-tackle-better

“I know that was one of the things I asked the older linebackers about is what can we do better in practice and they said tackle every day,” Olson said. “So every

day, no matter what, we are either going to live tackle or do a tackling drill. So we’re going to get better at it by repetition and we worked hard already at it this

offseason in our winter runs when we had time. Instead of working on other techniques, we said we’re going to prioritize tackling.”
    Last edited by Bisman; 04-03-2024 at 02:30 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bisman View Post
    Grant Olson's priority with Bison football: tackle better

https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison...-tackle-better
    It's a great start! They finally figured it out.