Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Spring Football 2024

Default Re: Spring Football 2024

Quote Originally Posted by Bison Bridge Guy View Post
    There were many instances where I saw linebackers running to a specific spot near the line of scrimmage at the snap and kind of waiting there, regardless of what was happening. I'm not particularly knowledgeable on defensive schemes but it felt like they were being coached to do that rather than reading and reacting. I don't know, but it looked really odd.
    I saw the same thing being done repeatedly, but I took it as our LBs being fooled by the offensive motion. It seemed like the LB, mostly the MLB, would take the wrong first step and be out of position reaching for a tackle, or completely swallowed up by an offensive lineman. Weerts was especially noticeable and really struggled to shed blocks. Part of the issues may have been our DL not doing their job, but the LBs need to be better with reads.
    North Dakota State, a football team the big boys of college football should avoid like the plague, helped christen a $90 million renovation to Snyder Family Stadium — including a statue of famed Kansas State coach Bill Snyder himself — by taking a sledgehammer to the place.
    Bob Lutz, The Wichita Eagle, August 30th, 2013

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    Why is it that what is so obvious to us fans is so oblivious to coaches? Think about it. I’ve often said that just because they are coaches doesn’t mean the see or know anything.

The main tackling problems Are angles and failure to wrap up. And the angle issue is most prominent. We absolutely suck at taking correct angles when pursuing and, more importantly, when blitzing from outside. The way we do that actually creates lanes for RBs. Difficult to explain “on paper”, but I could show you with films. Out attack of bubble screens is also terrible. Just maintain LOS for eff sakes.
    CAS for Defensive Analyst

Dom dropped a few names in his article today about the start of week 4 of spring practices: https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison...ium%3Dsharebar

LBs Marcus Gulley, Enock Sibomana, Natheniel Staehling, and Austin Altepeter all have gotten good reviews from LB coach and DC Grant Olson. Also mentions young WR Mekhi Collins, RB Marty Brown, and the young secondary coaches as impressing him in spring so far.

Sam and Andy with their impressions from today's practice: https://www.facebook.com/bison1660/v...56798150028053

Names of younger guys they mentioned on the defensive side were CBs Jaquise Alexander and Najee Nelson and DT Keenan Wilson. Not a younger guy but sounds like Hunter Zenzen is healthy and ready to pick up where Jake Kava left off at that DE position opposite of Dylan Hendricks. Dom wrote about Hunter as well yesterday: https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison...ebut-this-fall

I heard a bunch about DT Wilson last year and he did not even sniff the field....I am getting the feeling if we are naming all these guys - we really don't have the guy at some of these spots.

Quote Originally Posted by blackdiamond2 View Post
    I heard a bunch about DT Wilson last year and he did not even sniff the field....I am getting the feeling if we are naming all these guys - we really don't have the guy at some of these spots.
    you would be wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by blackdiamond2 View Post
    The players I keep seeing mentioned are at positions that have openings: DT (Derrit is done), CB (Price), WR (Mathis), RB (Williams). LB is a spot that there's a lot returning but definitely needs improvement outside of Kopp. One group I haven't heard much about that's going to need to players to step up is OL - three starters from last year gone in Sundell, Westberg, and Kubas.

But anyone can throw out the names of young guys at those spots. We won't know anything until the meaningful game reps start in the fall.

EDIT: Also Wilson was a true freshman last season - pretty tough to get on the field at DT as a true freshman especially with the upper classmen already there.
    Last edited by Professor Chaos; 04-10-2024 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    The players I keep seeing mentioned are at positions that have openings: DT (Derrit is done), CB (Price), WR (Mathis), RB (Williams). LB is a spot that there's a lot returning but definitely needs improvement outside of Kopp. One group I haven't heard much about that's going to need to players to step up is OL - three starters from last year gone in Sundell, Westberg, and Kubas.

But anyone can throw out the names of young guys at those spots. We won't know anything until the meaningful game reps start in the fall.

EDIT: Also Wilson was a true freshman last season - pretty tough to get on the field at DT as a true freshman especially with the upper classmen already there.
    Here is Dom’s article/video with Dan Larson on the OL yesterday:

https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison...ium%3Dsharebar

mtoutfitter is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bruinbison View Post
    Here is Dom’s article/video with Dan Larson on the OL yesterday:

https://www.inforum.com/sports/bison...ium%3Dsharebar
    Sure don't hear much about the Mizzou transfer Zatechka when they're talking O Line. Surprises me a bit.
    Life is tough, but it's even tougher if you're stupid.......John Wayne

/End Lakes. Roll Herd!

Quote Originally Posted by mtoutfitter View Post
    Sure don't hear much about the Mizzou transfer Zatechka when they're talking O Line. Surprises me a bit.
    Yeah, I remember a graduating OL saying good things about him. I guess we'll see when the depth chart comes out.

I was also surprised to not see Lockerby's name. I thought he played really well last year when he got in the game.