Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Transfer Portal - 2024

Hybrid View

bisonfan08 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Transfer Portal - 2024

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    IMO Richman deserves plenty of criticism for failing to take advantage of the transfer portal for incoming players but I think it's unfair to hammer him for the exodus of players. This is just the way college basketball works now - pretty sure I saw a figure that 25% of D1 MBB players entered the transfer portal in each of the last 2 years before this one. That's insane... and it's not just the benchwarmers who are looking to find playing time there's a whole load of guys in there who are starters at P6 schools that are transferring.

Think about the fact that 25% of all players are entering the portal every year and it's not hard to see why NDSU has very few 4-5 year players anymore given their spot in the pecking order and the culture of transferring in men's college basketball. What is difficult to fathom is that with all this transfer activity Watkins is the first D1 transfer NDSU has gotten since Jordan Horn in 2018.
    This number currently sits at 50%, literally half of all D1 basketball players last season are in the transfer portal. It's a disaster, 25% of them likely won't find a new home and that might be on the low end as there are still HS kids being recruited and lower division guys coming up. Grass isn't always greener and a lot of guys are going to find out the hard way.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bisonfan08 View Post
    This number currently sits at 50%, literally half of all D1 basketball players last season are in the transfer portal. It's a disaster, 25% of them likely won't find a new home and that might be on the low end as there are still HS kids being recruited and lower division guys coming up. Grass isn't always greener and a lot of guys are going to find out the hard way.
    I haven't seen any specific numbers recently but I'm the first couple years of the transfer portal I remember a number around 50% did NOT get a scholarship elsewhere. Some may have gotten walkons or possibly D3 (non scholarship), but most end up falling out. Who knows how many of them would have dropped our lost their scholarship prior to the portal, but there's a good chance many would.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    I haven't seen any specific numbers recently but I'm the first couple years of the transfer portal I remember a number around 50% did NOT get a scholarship elsewhere. Some may have gotten walkons or possibly D3 (non scholarship), but most end up falling out. Who knows how many of them would have dropped our lost their scholarship prior to the portal, but there's a good chance many would.
    Yeah, wouldn't Alabama sign as many recruits as possible every year, and then drop the schollies of existing players to make room? That's why Jacksonville State was so SEC transfer heavy (literally.) The vast majority of schools showed more commitment to their student-athletes though.

Enderlin product Joe Hurlburt has committed to Davidson after deciding to enter the transfer portal from Colorado

Quote Originally Posted by bruinbison View Post
    Enderlin product Joe Hurlburt has committed to Davidson after deciding to enter the transfer portal from Colorado
    Head scratching decision there....goes to a bottom-of-the-barrel A-10 school, who finished sub-.500 and a game out of last place in the conference. Not sure how Dave wouldn't make him priority #1, especially after what we lost up front in the portal. Not saying he would have been the savior had he came here, but would have certainly filled a position of need.

Quote Originally Posted by bstark28 View Post
    Head scratching decision there....goes to a bottom-of-the-barrel A-10 school, who finished sub-.500 and a game out of last place in the conference. Not sure how Dave wouldn't make him priority #1, especially after what we lost up front in the portal. Not saying he would have been the savior had he came here, but would have certainly filled a position of need.
    Money seems to offset head-scratching decisions these days.
    North Dakota State, a football team the big boys of college football should avoid like the plague, helped christen a $90 million renovation to Snyder Family Stadium — including a statue of famed Kansas State coach Bill Snyder himself — by taking a sledgehammer to the place.
    Bob Lutz, The Wichita Eagle, August 30th, 2013

Kid did not want to return to ND.
    Everyone just relax, all right? Believe me, if there's one thing Ron Burgundy knows, it's women.

Davidson has had some success in recent years. Made the dance two years ago.

what were his other offers?

Bottom of the barrel A-10 is probably better than middle of the pack Summit. Pair that with he just might not want to be in ND.