Page 17 of 20 FirstFirst ... 71516171819 ... LastLast

Thread: Transfer Portal - 2024

Default Re: Transfer Portal - 2024

Quote Originally Posted by Kujava23 View Post
    Not so fast my friend......

If Watkins---doesn't play defense ---it won't matter if he can score----ask Waddles

At least he won't talk back to Richy (coming from VMI---I'm assuming he's respectful) like Skunberg and get suspended multiple times
    Do you have factual information on the suspension?
    If you don’t why say anything
    Furthermore if it was talking back to the coach I’d say good for richman
    If you honestly think it’s ok to talk back your parents did a bad job and you automatically will be doing your child a disservice

I think the suspension was more then talking back but hey it is what it is
    TRUST THE PROCESS

IMO Richman deserves plenty of criticism for failing to take advantage of the transfer portal for incoming players but I think it's unfair to hammer him for the exodus of players. This is just the way college basketball works now - pretty sure I saw a figure that 25% of D1 MBB players entered the transfer portal in each of the last 2 years before this one. That's insane... and it's not just the benchwarmers who are looking to find playing time there's a whole load of guys in there who are starters at P6 schools that are transferring.

Think about the fact that 25% of all players are entering the portal every year and it's not hard to see why NDSU has very few 4-5 year players anymore given their spot in the pecking order and the culture of transferring in men's college basketball. What is difficult to fathom is that with all this transfer activity Watkins is the first D1 transfer NDSU has gotten since Jordan Horn in 2018.

Kujava23 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by unbison View Post
    Do you have factual information on the suspension?
    If you don’t why say anything
    Furthermore if it was talking back to the coach I’d say good for richman
    If you honestly think it’s ok to talk back your parents did a bad job and you automatically will be doing your child a disservice

I think the suspension was more then talking back but hey it is what it is
    Of course i have FACTUAL information---otherwise i wouldnt say it

Exactly---good for Richy to suspend him

Kujava23 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    IMO Richman deserves plenty of criticism for failing to take advantage of the transfer portal for incoming players but I think it's unfair to hammer him for the exodus of players. This is just the way college basketball works now - pretty sure I saw a figure that 25% of D1 MBB players entered the transfer portal in each of the last 2 years before this one. That's insane... and it's not just the benchwarmers who are looking to find playing time there's a whole load of guys in there who are starters at P6 schools that are transferring.

Think about the fact that 25% of all players are entering the portal every year and it's not hard to see why NDSU has very few 4-5 year players anymore given their spot in the pecking order and the culture of transferring in men's college basketball. What is difficult to fathom is that with all this transfer activity Watkins is the first D1 transfer NDSU has gotten since Jordan Horn in 2018.
    Yeah the transfer portal is crazy! NIL is crazy too---can't imagine trying to please players now a days----playing time---starting---how much money are you going to give me---never enough

NDSU isn't any different from other schools with guys transferring looking for better opportunities in either playing time or $$$---but what NDSU is different is like POINT you made-----have had only 1 D1 transfer in since 2018----other transfer ins have been from sub D1 schools (which isn't terrible---if starred at lower levels)

bisonfan08 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post

This number currently sits at 50%, literally half of all D1 basketball players last season are in the transfer portal. It's a disaster, 25% of them likely won't find a new home and that might be on the low end as there are still HS kids being recruited and lower division guys coming up. Grass isn't always greener and a lot of guys are going to find out the hard way.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bisonfan08 View Post
    This number currently sits at 50%, literally half of all D1 basketball players last season are in the transfer portal. It's a disaster, 25% of them likely won't find a new home and that might be on the low end as there are still HS kids being recruited and lower division guys coming up. Grass isn't always greener and a lot of guys are going to find out the hard way.
    I haven't seen any specific numbers recently but I'm the first couple years of the transfer portal I remember a number around 50% did NOT get a scholarship elsewhere. Some may have gotten walkons or possibly D3 (non scholarship), but most end up falling out. Who knows how many of them would have dropped our lost their scholarship prior to the portal, but there's a good chance many would.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    I haven't seen any specific numbers recently but I'm the first couple years of the transfer portal I remember a number around 50% did NOT get a scholarship elsewhere. Some may have gotten walkons or possibly D3 (non scholarship), but most end up falling out. Who knows how many of them would have dropped our lost their scholarship prior to the portal, but there's a good chance many would.
    Yeah, wouldn't Alabama sign as many recruits as possible every year, and then drop the schollies of existing players to make room? That's why Jacksonville State was so SEC transfer heavy (literally.) The vast majority of schools showed more commitment to their student-athletes though.

Enderlin product Joe Hurlburt has committed to Davidson after deciding to enter the transfer portal from Colorado

bisonfan08 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post

Yeah I guess I meant 25% of the total in the portal (50% of the 50%), typically half the guys that enter do not end up elsewhere. A lot of kids are getting really bad guidance and others are just making poor decisions on their own. Problem with a lot of it is I think many of these kids don't want to drop down a level or two, thinking they have to be D1 when in reality they could drop down to D2 or D3 for a year and really work on their game and then come right back up if they do well. I could see Hastreiter doing that if he has a good year at MSUM.

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bisonfan08 View Post
    Yeah I guess I meant 25% of the total in the portal (50% of the 50%), typically half the guys that enter do not end up elsewhere. A lot of kids are getting really bad guidance and others are just making poor decisions on their own. Problem with a lot of it is I think many of these kids don't want to drop down a level or two, thinking they have to be D1 when in reality they could drop down to D2 or D3 for a year and really work on their game and then come right back up if they do well. I could see Hastreiter doing that if he has a good year at MSUM.
    I think a certain percentage of those athletes would have not been on scholarship the following year before the portal. They either would have decided to quit due to lack of paying time or other priorities or the school removed their scholarship. I have no idea. Also keep in mind some that do enter the portal are intending to find a more competitive level for them. A good friend has a son who has gone from IU to OKU to Ohio Dominion. He's looking for the opportunity to play. He was good enough to play at IU but various circumstances made it difficult (mostly injuries). Not everyone enters the portal to move up.