Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Vs ORU

semobison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Vs ORU

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    As a spectator, I will never get on the players at the college level or below. However, officials beyond high school deserve to hear it when they screw up or are bad at their jobs. The short brown haired lady and her blonde pony tailed partner and the guy with them are bad beyond belief. They were in the SHAC two or three times and my daughter gave me looks when I gave them friendly reminders about their mistakes.

If you think you can do better I suggest you get yourself a whistle and prove it. There is a shortage of referees nationwide.

Quote Originally Posted by semobison View Post
    If you think you can do better I suggest you get yourself a whistle and prove it. There is a shortage of referees nationwide.
    Nowhere did I say I could do better. But there are expectations of officials at every level and those expectations change the higher up you go. When they don't perform at the level of my expectation, I say something. I don't swear at them, I don't belittle them, I simply yell loud enough that the hear me. The level of expectation at a college level is entirely different than the level of pee wees.

Here is another way to think of it. How many of you have ever gotten mad and been a Karen to a customer service person who is simply following the rules of their job but the rules of their job didn't allow you to get what you want so you acted like an asshole? If I asked your spouses the same question, what would they say? Is that any different than me letting an official know that I thought they blew a call or were in a wrong position to make a call? The only difference is the ref isn't serving me and i'm not asking for something they can't do. I just don't want bad calls. Like a foul on a player that wasn't within 6 inches of touching an opposing player and they got a whistle for contact. That type of thing can change a game and they deserve to be told they effed up.

that's all i got to say about that

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Boy View Post
    "Screaming at them" is a pretty strong phrase. To me that sounds hateful and angry. While I may not like a call, I wouldn't say I'm hateful or angry. Nagging them might be a better phrase. Yelling loud enough so they hear and asking how the ref farthest away looking though 6 people can make a call when the one right by it didn't blow the whistle is hardly threatening, but I hope it does make them think you know, maybe I didn't see what I thought I saw.
    I'm sure it's somewhat true in basketball, but in football, we don't hear what you say. Yell all you want. Booing is fine because you are just voicing your opinion of a call. This won't bother the official for a few reasons. First, you are biased and he/she isn't. Second, he/she knows the rules and you don't. Third, ultimately his/her judgement is the only one that matters.

As for the location of the official in relation to the call, that's another good example of the fan not understanding. Each official is watching something different and is more about angles than distance. At the time of the call, the further official may have the responsibility of that action or his/her angle is better to see the action.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

This is why I really enjoyed my years as a back judge and, now, as an umpire. Head linesman and line judge, not so much. It's why college conferences have the LJ and H linesman switch sides at half time (been on FB crews that do it in HS games.......it's comforting to hear a different voice and different crap.

I reffed an amateur men's basketball tourney a few weeks back. All the players knew the refs were volunteering and doing it for free. Low expectations from the players led to very little back talk from the players. Actually got quite a few of the players thanking us for our time. I was expecting to get yelled at. It was refreshing that it didn't happen.

As soon as my youngest graduates from HS, I will be trying to do HS football, basketball and baseball. It's a nice little part-time job.
    My Mom yells louder than your Mom.

NI4NI is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    I reffed an amateur men's basketball tourney a few weeks back. All the players knew the refs were volunteering and doing it for free. Low expectations from the players led to very little back talk from the players. Actually got quite a few of the players thanking us for our time. I was expecting to get yelled at. It was refreshing that it didn't happen.

As soon as my youngest graduates from HS, I will be trying to do HS football, basketball and baseball. It's a nice little part-time job.
    Thanks, we do appreciate the refs