Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Proposed Rule Changes

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Proposed Rule Changes

Quote Originally Posted by Gully View Post
    I don't necessarily have a major problem with any of these specific rules but one of the things I liked about college fb was it was a little unique compared to pro football. The 2 minute warning and clock stoppage after first downs were two key differences.

That said, I REALLY hope they never change the PI rule to be enforced like the pro rule.
    I don't believe there is any interest in extending the PI rules beyond the max of 15 yards. I agree that's the best approach for NCAA.

Quote Originally Posted by PlrbrBison View Post
    Good points. Alot of games are already having the flow disrupted with tv timeouts and the like. But while we're at it, start penalizing for some of the after play celebrations, the one that I get really sick of seeing is when a player makes a first down and he has to jump up and make the first down signal for himself. I know, petty, but just do what NI4NI says and make yourself stand out through outstanding performance on the court/field.
    It was something they wanted us to call a few years ago, but they want us to allow spontaneous celebrations that are quick and aren't targeted at an opponent (and don't involve simulating a weapon as we all remember). The quick first down signal is OK, but I still tell players to stop and get back to their huddle. Have fun but don't get over excited for a standard play.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    I don't believe there is any interest in extending the PI rules beyond the max of 15 yards. I agree that's the best approach for NCAA.

It was something they wanted us to call a few years ago, but they want us to allow spontaneous celebrations that are quick and aren't targeted at an opponent (and don't involve simulating a weapon as we all remember). The quick first down signal is OK, but I still tell players to stop and get back to their huddle. Have fun but don't get over excited for a standard play.

But this would have robbed us of prime Cody Mauch!

Quote Originally Posted by BisonTitan View Post
    Come on he never did anything like that....

https://twitter.com/NDSUfootball/sta...02932769325061
    Last edited by Professor Chaos; 03-06-2024 at 04:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonTitan View Post
    Well.....there is that. The failed high five at the end was fantastic!

Quote Originally Posted by IndyBison View Post
    If they did that and it was the starting QB in the Michigan Ohio State game, they would be crucified. The NFL has less of this because they handle it with fines from the league. You still see some things, but they are very minor and fans probably never notice (player wears Adidas rather than Nike or his socks are a slightly different color).

Easy fix. Execute all rule violators at midfield during timeouts and or halftime. A clown laugh on the loud speakers can add for a little more amusement during. I joke, but the dangling mouth piece bugs me as well.
    "Our plan of operation is to advance and keep on advancing. We're going to go through the enemy like shit through a tinhorn." - Patton

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by WestCoastBison View Post
    Easy fix. Execute all rule violators at midfield during timeouts and or halftime. A clown laugh on the loud speakers can add for a little more amusement during. I joke, but the dangling mouth piece bugs me as well.
    Another dumb uniform rule. Players can only wear white towels with a small brand or team logo. I have to tell a player he can't wear a black towel...while I'm wearing a black towel. That's one we just tell them to fix the next time they come out, and they usually do. High school didn't specify a color, but all players on the field had to have the same color. Socks don't have to match but towels do. They changed that last year. I hope NCAA considers that at some point also.

NFL has a bunch of crazy uniform rules, too, but the officials don't touch it. The league office does it via fines the following week.

This much seems reasonable.
    https://www.ncaapublications.com/pro...EquipRules.pdf

The t-shirt below the bottom of the jersey just looks sloppy (see: NDSU Jayden Price). In the case of Price, if the t-shirt matched the jersey or pants, maybe, but white/grey just detracts. And there are many violators in the MVFC, but he first came to mind.

NI4NI is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sicatoka View Post
    This much seems reasonable.
    https://www.ncaapublications.com/pro...EquipRules.pdf

The t-shirt below the bottom of the jersey just looks sloppy (see: NDSU Jayden Price). In the case of Price, if the t-shirt matched the jersey or pants, maybe, but grey just detracts. And there are many violators in the MVFC, but he first came to mind.
    Those do seem reasonable. I agree with Indy that they (refs) shouldn't have to be wardrobe police. Perhaps one warning per team to the coach, and unsportsmanlike fouls against the offending player after that. As with any unsportsmanlike, ejection after 2.
    There's no excuse for players not to look sharp and uniform. I'd be fine including hair length code as well. (coaches should already be doing that)

Quote Originally Posted by NI4NI View Post
    Those do seem reasonable. I agree with Indy that they (refs) shouldn't have to be wardrobe police. Perhaps one warning per team to the coach, and unsportsmanlike fouls against the offending player after that. As with any unsportsmanlike, ejection after 2.
    There's no excuse for players not to look sharp and uniform. I'd be fine including hair length code as well. (coaches should already be doing that)
    What's the point of having rules that aren't enforced? Even a delay of game penalty for taking time to tell a player what's wrong with their uniform might help. As for hair length, that can be troublesome since hair has a cultural and/or religious significance to some groups.
    It's OK to not be OK.

NI4NI is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    As for hair length, that can be troublesome since hair has a cultural and/or religious significance to some groups.
    Then we simply find out just who actually wants to play football.
    Bud Grant never had a problem with it. Pretty sure these religions were around back in the 70's.