Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Jerry Dahl - RIP

Default Jerry Dahl - RIP

Jerry was one of my personal heroes in my early Bison fan career. From his defensive end position, he spent most of his time in the opponent's backfield, stuffing runners and sacking quarterbacks. A Bison HOF member, he still holds the single-season records for quarterback sacks and tackles for loss. Never met the man, but he brought much joy to Bison football fans during his 2 years at NDSU, 1973-1974. Those of you who didn't get to watch him play definitely missed out. RIP, Jerry.
    Last edited by SomeBeach; 02-20-2024 at 10:19 PM.

Default Re: Jerry Dahl - RIP

Quote Originally Posted by SomeBeach View Post
    Jerry was one of my personal heroes in my early Bison fan career. From his defensive end position, he spent most of his time in the opponent's backfield, stuffing runners and sacking quarterbacks. A Bison HOF member, he still holds the single-season records for quarterback sacks and tackles for loss. Never met the man, but he brought much joy to Bison football fans. Those of you who didn't get to watch him play definitely missed out. RIP, Jerry.
    https://www.hafh.org/obituary/Jerry-Dahl

If you wore the uniform...you're a champion.

mtoutfitter is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Jerry was one of my personal heroes in my early Bison fan career. From his defensive end position, he spent most of his time in the opponent's backfield, stuffing runners and sacking quarterbacks. A Bison HOF member, he still holds the single-season records for quarterback sacks and tackles for loss. Never met the man, but he brought much joy to Bison football fans. Those of you who didn't get to watch him play definitely missed out. RIP, Jerry.
    My condolences to friends and family.
    Life is tough, but it's even tougher if you're stupid.......John Wayne

/End Lakes. Roll Herd!

A Bison Great and Legend for sure...

This took me totally by surprise.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    This took me totally by surprise.
    PL, any Jerry stories to share with us?

PL, any Jerry stories to share with us?
    Hey was pretty quiet. But here is a story the Ardell Weigant told us at a get together. Jerry play 2 years at Wapeton and was pretty much an instinctive player and the coaches down there just let him play. He had 3 loves at that time and they were fixing up cars, farming and football in that order. He dreamed of having his own body shop.

Well he gets up here and there are defensive strategies, defensive technique etc etc etc. During his first year of 2 a days the coaches were all over him for not knowing the defensive calls etc etc etc. Well one day hes not at practice. Coach asks were in the hell is Jerry????? Well coach------he went home. So after practice coach sends Weigant down to talk to Jerry. Next day Weigs shows up and Jerry is out on the tractor doing what ever they were doing that time of year. Coach talks to him for a couple of hours ., hops off the tractor , head back to Fargo and Jerry keeps doing what he was doing on the tractor. Weigs get backs to Fargo, calls coach. Coach asks???? Well whats he going to do??? Weigs says I dont have a clue. He didnt give me an answer. Just said he needed to get back to work.

Next day Jerry shows up. Gets dressed and heads out to practice like nothing ever happened.

After Jerry left school he ended up owning his own body shop.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

If I remember correctly, Jerry picked up a fumble and returned it for a touchdown at UND in 1974.

533 In a row

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
    If I remember correctly, Jerry picked up a fumble and returned it for a touchdown at UND in 1974.
    And his BEST game (from the Bison HOF biographic) back when SDSU was not a problem:

The highlight of his career came against South Dakota State in October 1974 at Dacotah Field, when Dahl recorded 22 tackles in a 28-0 Bison win. Twelve of those tackles were solo stops, including 7 QB sacks and 54 total yards in losses. He also intercepted a pass, broke up another and had two kickoff tackles in one of the most outstanding single-game efforts in Bison history.

And his BEST game (from the Bison HOF biographic) back when SDSU was not a problem:

The highlight of his career came against South Dakota State in October 1974 at Dacotah Field, when Dahl recorded 22 tackles in a 28-0 Bison win. Twelve of those tackles were solo stops, including 7 QB sacks and 54 total yards in losses. He also intercepted a pass, broke up another and had two kickoff tackles in one of the most outstanding single-game efforts in Bison history.
    that's a statline. wow.

and thanks to PL for the story. That's a good one.

RIP Jerry.
    Undefeated vs UNI fans, BVille Libtards, Tony, Pulmonary Embolisms & Bad Vibes