Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: McFeely's Tip Sheet: NDSU working toward Alston payments for athletes

Default Re: McFeely's Tip Sheet: NDSU working toward Alston payments for athletes

Quote Originally Posted by DCinOK View Post
    Donor fatigue: Some college football fans wonder why they have to pay for players
    Article from the Athletic:

https://archive.is/NKSI4
    The short answer … “because others are willing to”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Re: McFeely's Tip Sheet: NDSU working toward Alston payments for athletes

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post

If this is what college football has become...that schools' fans are constantly being hit up to pay the players...shark has been jumped. I am the right-wing of the right wing...but college-sports-destroyers have decided that if you oppose the recent transfer-at-will-pay-to-play-NIL nonsense then you are a COMMUNIST/ANTI-CAPITALIST Hater of Freedom! So pathetic and absurd.

If this is what college football has become...that schools' fans are constantly being hit up to pay the players...shark has been jumped. I am the right-wing of the right wing...but college-sports-destroyers have decided that if you oppose the recent transfer-at-will-pay-to-play-NIL nonsense then you are a COMMUNIST/ANTI-CAPITALIST Hater of Freedom! So pathetic and absurd.
    I mean a State owned tax funded University is technically a social program. So are public K-12

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Free markets unless I say so!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

It's the same thing with the Jon Bon Jovi fan club and people complaining how much his events cost or how much they charge for front row tickets at concerts. They charge a lot because people are willing to pay a lot. Most concerts let you take home your front row chairs after the show and I like to joke that we have the world's most expensive folding chairs in our basement.

Quote Originally Posted by TAILG8R View Post

It's OK to not be OK.

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

We don’t have pure, unregulated capitalism in America for a reason, it always ends up in monopoly or a small oligopoly at best.

In this case, the P2 are becoming a powerful duopoly that will soon shut most other colleges out of the major media marketplace. They already reap the vast majority share of revenues.

The idea that fans need to constantly bid higher to buy/keep players is insane, and just means the largest mega fanbases will win every time. If your stadium doesn’t seat 100k don’t bother trying to win a CFP title. We might as well stay FCS forever. We can win more titles at this level, but still sucks to see all the best players siphoned off each year

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorns View Post
    We don’t have pure, unregulated capitalism in America for a reason, it always ends up in monopoly or a small oligopoly at best.
    Sounds like something a commie pinko would say.

Two solutions to this could be 1) Take anti-competitive, monopolistic and anti-capitalist privileges away from over-subsidized public athletic departments, or 2) continue exploiting 18-24 year old athletes that we all claim to love and enjoy.

Funny how #1 is never even mentioned as an option
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    Two solutions to this could be 1) Take anti-competitive, monopolistic and anti-capitalist privileges away from over-subsidized public athletic departments, or 2) continue exploiting 18-24 year old athletes that we all claim to love and enjoy.

Funny how #1 is never even mentioned as an option
    How about this: Use models/volunteers etc. in all advertising for college sports—no highlights except those that they volunteer by playing in public forum (their choice to do it), continue to pay scholarships and FCOA and let the student athletes fend for themselves re: NIL. Don’t just feed them.
    Bisonville: Making football coaches out of arm-chair-QB's and jock sniffers for years!
    Today's CAS GASF = ZERO
    RELUCTANT MEMBER of the TOHBTC

And, don’t believe everything you think—jussayin’.

Liberals of BV need not respond to my posts. I don’t need to get any more dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by CAS4127 View Post
    How about this: Use models/volunteers etc. in all advertising for college sports—no highlights except those that they volunteer by playing in public forum (their choice to do it), continue to pay scholarships and FCOA and let the student athletes fend for themselves re: NIL. Don’t just feed them.
    Why all the extra steps just to not have the schools pay the kids? NIL is what it is (de facto black market for buying players) because the schools will do anything to avoid paying the athletes. They want the fans to do it for them so they can have their publicly subsidized administrative salaries while us stooges pay the real bills. Have the athletic departments pay the players and NIL will revert back to what it’s supposed to be: players getting paid to help companies advertise and/or sign autographs, appear in video games, etc.

No one loses a minute of sleep over coaches’ or administrators’ salaries, the facilities arms race, etc., all which also take donor money endlessly and create an unfair advantage for large schools. But as soon as the athletes get paid a taxable dollar everyone loses their shit.

I’m genuinely curious why that is.
    *one day later*