Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: McFeely's Tip Sheet: NDSU working toward Alston payments for athletes

Default Re: McFeely's Tip Sheet: NDSU working toward Alston payments for athletes

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Burgundy View Post
    Not sure if this will help or not, but that is a tight lipped operation up there, so I really have NO clue, but from what I gather, Alston payments is being targeted to one donor that would fully fund. Nobody has ever been asked to help fund that, so I don't really see how that would impact how anyone gives to The G&G Collective or Teammakers. Everyone has choices and opinions and I respect all. I just think this last one is something that nobody has to really think about, but may end up a benefit for some student athletes and that is tremendous.
    You mean NDSU isn't going to use institutional monies (ie ND taxpayers) to fund Alston payments like the hawkers are? Seems to me that ML is a little bit of a control freak about NIL and that's why the push for Alston payments. He's tolerates NIL IMO.
    Best DI Football Team in the Tri-State Area - AGAIN

Default Re: McFeely's Tip Sheet: NDSU working toward Alston payments for athletes

Quote Originally Posted by AKBison View Post
    ???? You signed up for monthly G&G payments but are upset about NDSU setting up an academic achievement award? The Alston payments have nothing to do with being a starter or NIL. A huge majority of these dollars will go to student athletes who work hard in practice, do the right thing but are far from being stars on their teams. Getting involved with this is an absolute no brainier and this is coming from someone who has not decided how I feel about the whole G&G collective thing.
    All a guy can do is what you want to do and think is right. I don't know a whole lot about all the different ways they are asking for money, but even if I don't up my giving, I'll plan on keeping my tickets.

AlumniGreen is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Even though I understand some of the frustration some may have with what seems like constant asking for money (a perception) we are shooting ourselves in the foot if we don't at least support these athletic initiatives as best we can and as best as our budget allows. Athletics is vastly different from when almost all of us were at NDSU but I don't see any other way.

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Utah gave all their players a brand new lease paid Dodge Ram 1500. Grant Nelson got 700,000 dollars. and you're outraged at paying a 4.0 student up to $5900? Spare me your idealistic world view

So you're basically quitting when UND and SDSU are upping their game. Not sure what kind of statement that is, other tham I don't want to play with the big boys and I concede.

I'm sure we will survive without you
    Yes, NDSU athletics will all be fine without me. The dollar amount I have to pay is not the issue as I can afford it. I'm just not much of a fan of pro sports. I will still be supporting my alma mater through other types of non-athletic related donations.

Quote Originally Posted by AKBison View Post
    ???? You signed up for monthly G&G payments but are upset about NDSU setting up an academic achievement award? The Alston payments have nothing to do with being a starter or NIL. A huge majority of these dollars will go to student athletes who work hard in practice, do the right thing but are far from being stars on their teams. Getting involved with this is an absolute no brainier and this is coming from someone who has not decided how I feel about the whole G&G collective thing.
    I'm not upset about NDSU doing this. Reward the athletes that are doing well in the classroom, that is a great idea. It is what is needed to be done to continue to stay somewhat competitive and relevant in the DI landscape. Most fans are ok with that. But put it all together with full scholly's, COA, ever growing NIL amounts, Alston payments and throw in the transfer portal, and I choose to spend my "charitable" dollars elsewhere. DI sports have changed dramatically in the last 10 years and I guess I didn't.
    My Mom yells louder than your Mom.

Quote Originally Posted by StL Bison Fan View Post
    I am interested in the student part of student athlete. My favorite part of Teammaker lunches is hearing about the academic success of the students. Its impressive. So I would lean more to rewarding for achievement in the classroom rather than money to stay because another school will pay you more
    I think it's more than paying to keep players and bidding wars. It's the fact some players have to live off of $3,600 a year in FCOA stipends. Football and school is basically 2 full time jobs. Not enough hours in the day to work a bunch of hours. Partial scholarship players get a partial FCOA amount. Walk ons dont get any FCOA.

If their car breaks down, that can really wipe out a budget. Flying home to visit family can eat up most of their budget.

How many walk ons will stick it out when they have to fund everything through student loans? But if they can earn an Alston payment or get a few grand from the collective, it helps. It's a good cause and not excessive IMO. Now if we write checks to 1 player for a million bucks, I'm not a fan. We're not doing that. But if they can broker a deal for Scheels to pay a million bucks for endorsements... I support that
    Last edited by HerdBot; 02-21-2024 at 05:12 PM.

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    Yes, NDSU athletics will all be fine without me. The dollar amount I have to pay is not the issue as I can afford it. I'm just not much of a fan of pro sports. I will still be supporting my alma mater through other types of non-athletic related donations.

I'm not upset about NDSU doing this. Reward the athletes that are doing well in the classroom, that is a great idea. It is what is needed to be done to continue to stay somewhat competitive and relevant in the DI landscape. Most fans are ok with that. But put it all together with full scholly's, COA, ever growing NIL amounts, Alston payments and throw in the transfer portal, and I choose to spend my "charitable" dollars elsewhere. DI sports have changed dramatically in the last 10 years and I guess I didn't.
    I agree entirely with you and very close to doing the same. College athletics have become a shit show that I care less about each year thanks to all the money crap. These kids are kids, not pro athletes.
    Last edited by SDbison; 02-21-2024 at 06:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SDbison View Post
    I agree entirely with you and very close to doing the same. College athletics has become a shit show that I care less about each year thanks to all the money crap. These kids are kids, not pro athletes.
    the idea of "free agents" in college football still just baffles me.

100 years of tradition just instantly gutted.
    Undefeated vs UNI fans, BVille Libtards, Tony, Pulmonary Embolisms & Bad Vibes

Quote Originally Posted by SDbison View Post
    I agree entirely with you and very close to doing the same. College athletics have become a shit show that I care less about each year thanks to all the money crap. These kids are kids, not pro athletes.
    Money has always been in college sports. Now it's just legal and out in the open. You cant compare Alabama paying Grant Nelson 700 grand to an NDSU collective giving a walk on $1,000 to help fix his car or $5,950 to put towards tuition after getting a 4.0. We dont even pay our head coach that much

But when you are FCS, you have 22 less full rides scholarships so this helps

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    Money has always been in college sports. Now it's just legal and out in the open. You cant compare Alabama paying Grant Nelson 700 grand to an NDSU collective giving a walk on $1,000 to help fix his car or $5,950 to put towards tuition after getting a 4.0. We dont even pay our head coach that much

But when you are FCS, you have 22 less full rides scholarships so this helps
    Yes, the singular hypothetical walk-on with a POS car is what we are referring to when we talk about DI athletics as a whole.

It's ok for others to have a different viewpoint than you on this topic. I encourage you to contribute more to make up for my lack of donations. YOU ARE A BETTER NDSU FAN THAN ME! Does that make you feel better? I don't have a problem admitting that.
    My Mom yells louder than your Mom.

Quote Originally Posted by runtheoption View Post
    I agree with all this. You're right, there are a lot of other worthy places to spend charitable dollars.