Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: McFeely's Tip Sheet: NDSU working toward Alston payments for athletes

Default Re: McFeely's Tip Sheet: NDSU working toward Alston payments for athletes

Quote Originally Posted by DCinOK View Post
    USC's Caleb Williams recently said he made around $10 million in NIL money at USC. Anyone who thinks this is a positive thiing in College Football is an idiot. Lectures about us older folks not being down with this nonsense are laughable, and you reveal that you are but a child in matters of Life. Congratulations on your ruining College Football. Morons.
    Sure grandma, let’s get you back to bed

Only stupid people are the ones spending that much for a wildly overrated player

Players should be free to make as much money as people are willing to pay them. Why should the government or collective of employers be able to govern how much money a person can make? Quite the slippery slope…
    Last edited by NDSU92; 03-02-2024 at 03:23 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: McFeely's Tip Sheet: NDSU working toward Alston payments for athletes

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    Sure grandma, let’s get you back to bed

Only stupid people are the ones spending that much for a wildly overrated player

Players should be free to make as much money as people are willing to pay them. Why should the government or collective of employers be able to govern how much money a person can make? Quite the slippery slope…
    Even the NFL has spending caps, college sports now doesn't.

Because of the massive disparity in revenue, this means we won't have anything close to parity.
    Big schools will just harvest players and coaches at will from smaller ones.

That means OSU, UGA and all the anointed "power" conferences will crush all the non-power schools 50-0.
    Sounds like fun, yay. I'd rather watch the NFL where there can still be even matchups and surprise winners.

Quote Originally Posted by BigHorns View Post
    Even the NFL has spending caps, college sports now doesn't.

Because of the massive disparity in revenue, this means we won't have anything close to parity.
    Big schools will just harvest players and coaches at will from smaller ones.

That means OSU, UGA and all the anointed "power" conferences will crush all the non-power schools 50-0.
    Sounds like fun, yay. I'd rather watch the NFL where there can still be even matchups and surprise winners.
    NFL has spending caps on endorsements? That’s news to me. I thought players could make as much off their NIL as people wanted to pay them. Just like every other worker.

The problem with sports is that effectively every major league and the NCAA would run afoul of anti-trust laws if they were any other industry. That messes with worker pay more than anything.

At the end of the day I don’t put my desire to have the version of college athletics I want over the right of the player to earn the money that people are willing to pay them. Probably not a popular opinion on a college sports message board, but it’s my opinion.
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

NI4NI is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Popular professional sports personalities have always made bank from corporations for their endorsements which is a system that works nearly without flaw. Athletes are able to supplement their income and nobody pays (directly) except the company they represent.
    It seems that this is how the idea of NIL on the collegiate level was sold to us. (Someone who followed the process more closely please correct my inaccuracies)
    We did not envision being asked to reach into our pockets to lure or retain talent. Sure there was giving prior, but it was in a more innocent spirit. Now people that were not regular contributors are now giving and existing contributors have upped their contribution for no other reason than to lure/retain athletic talent. Nobody is giving against their will, so I am not complaining in the least. But would any of us donate to our favorite NFL team for this purpose? I highly doubt it. I'm not sure if there is a point to this diatribe beyond pointing out that the comparison of the NIL to professional athletes is not an accurate comparison in the least.

The comparison to the NFL is inaccurate because they’re rightfully considered employees. They have a union, well-defined labor market, etc.

The NCAA has none of these things and thus a black market developed over the decades. And now the NCAA is trying to have their cake and eat it too by having fans pay for everything.
    *one day later*

NI4NI is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

And now the NCAA is trying to have their cake and eat it too by having fans pay for everything.
    That's a good way to word it.

BigHorns is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NI4NI View Post
    That's a good way to word it.
    Yes, and the current NIL system seems setup to exploit fans - “please contribute to help pay Johnny QB $1m so he won’t run off to BigTime U where they have more fans and money”

It’s a system built to keep the little guys in their place and let the big college brands continue to own everything.

It just feels silly to get caught up in this rat race, when the bigger schools will always have more $$$ to spend.

I doubt that State Farm is in kahoots with the Chiefs to supplement the pay for Mahomes and Maauto so they take a smaller hit to the salary cap.

NFL has spending caps on endorsements? That’s news to me. I thought players could make as much off their NIL as people wanted to pay them. Just like every other worker.

The problem with sports is that effectively every major league and the NCAA would run afoul of anti-trust laws if they were any other industry. That messes with worker pay more than anything.

At the end of the day I don’t put my desire to have the version of college athletics I want over the right of the player to earn the money that people are willing to pay them. Probably not a popular opinion on a college sports message board, but it’s my opinion.
    It's OK to not be OK.

Think he was saying the salary cap exists in the NFL as far as when they're playing football for the NFL. They're not limited in endorsements outside of the actual game play of the NFL.

College doesn't have anything for playing the actual game or outside of the game technically all the nil is outside of the game but they likely lose it in some cases if they move to a different team.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    I doubt that State Farm is in kahoots with the Chiefs to supplement the pay for Mahomes and Maauto so they take a smaller hit to the salary cap.
    Maybe, but the business owners are clearly 100% in cahoots with each other to keep an artificial cap on salary. Name one industry outside of sports that allows that.
    *one day later*