Page 13 of 18 FirstFirst ... 31112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: McFeely's Tip Sheet: NDSU working toward Alston payments for athletes

steelbison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: McFeely's Tip Sheet: NDSU working toward Alston payments for athletes

It is getting to the point that sports aren’t associated with colleges anymore. That’s where this is going Unions. Seriously?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Default Re: McFeely's Tip Sheet: NDSU working toward Alston payments for athletes

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    Some college athletes are trying to join a union.

Dartmouth men's basketball team votes to unionize, shaking up college sports
    https://www.npr.org/2024/03/05/12358...-election-nlrb
    We'll have to make sure to collect the union dues from them....

Quote Originally Posted by steelbison View Post
    It is getting to the point that sports aren’t associated with colleges anymore. That’s where this is going Unions. Seriously?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I mean it kinda went out the window when schools started recruiting kids that had no business going to the school academically in the first place. It’s been a de facto minor/developmental league ever since. I do think in the long run it’ll hurt the branding of college sports as the curtain is pulled back. But that’s not the kids’ fault. They just see all these people getting rich off the entertainment they provide and want some for themselves. Hard to blame them. In fact if you want to blame someone, blame the administrators who have turned college athletics into an absolute money grab above all else. They’re the ones who started it and how we got here.

As far as the union comment. Don’t all sports leagues have unions? From an administrative/owner standpoint, there’s the NCAA and conferences that fight on behalf of the schools, it would be only fair that the players can organize as well. Especially considering the monopolistic power of the NCAA.

Again, this is really only something that will affect the largest schools and in the long term will not be as big of a deal as it’s seen now. I’m sure desegregation and allowing freshmen to play seemed overwhelming at first but now we look back at them as milestones that were long overdue.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

totoinfl is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by 56BISON73 View Post
    Didnt pass him by at all. He just decided he wasnt going to coach in that kind of environment.
    Agreed and I applaud him for speaking out.

NI4NI is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by totoinfl View Post
    Agreed and I applaud him for speaking out.
    Yep College sports is now a hot mess, and I doubt that the genie can be forced back into the bottle at this point.

The notion that one who wants college athletes to be amateurs, and not professionals...makes that person a Marxist/Communist/Anti-Capitalist is so laughable and absurd...but that's what we are called. Congratulations on your killing college sports from your high and mighty, more-enlightened-than-us throne.

Quote Originally Posted by DCinOK View Post
    The notion that one who wants college athletes to be amateurs, and not professionals...makes that person a Marxist/Communist/Anti-Capitalist is so laughable and absurd...but that's what we are called. Congratulations on your killing college sports from your high and mighty, more-enlightened-than-us throne.
    Somehow, I think Saban, Krzyzewski, Jim Boeheim, et. al. are going to have the last laugh on this steaming, hot pile of shit that's been dumped on America by the NCAA, the networks, AD's, power conferences, sports boosters, the courts, etc. Screw'em all. When every game on Saturday goes behind a paywall in 5 to 10 years, I suspect the viewing public (fans) will have had enough.

NI4NI is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by southcliffbison View Post
    Somehow, I think Saban, Krzyzewski, Jim Boeheim, et. al. are going to have the last laugh on this steaming, hot pile of shit that's been dumped on America by the NCAA, the networks, AD's, power conferences, sports boosters, the courts, etc. Screw'em all. When every game on Saturday goes behind a paywall in 5 to 10 years, I suspect the viewing public (fans) will have had enough.
    The system wasn't broken, but they decided to fix it. Now it is broken.

taper is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by southcliffbison View Post
    Didn't we effectively hit that years ago? NDSU's statewide OTA broadcast deal is relatively rare. There's around a dozen nationwide OTA games each week. Tons of people pay for "local" channels through another service instead of using an antenna. Everybody else is paywalled behind ESPN, conference networks, regional networks, etc. Basic cable is still a paywall.
    There's no doubt modern D1 athletics is a profession. I'm still trying to figure out exactly when that switch happened.

Donor fatigue: Some college football fans wonder why they have to pay for players
    Article from the Athletic:

https://archive.is/NKSI4