Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: McFeely's Tip Sheet: NDSU working toward Alston payments for athletes

Default Re: McFeely's Tip Sheet: NDSU working toward Alston payments for athletes

Quote Originally Posted by 1998braves64 View Post
    Think he was saying the salary cap exists in the NFL as far as when they're playing football for the NFL. They're not limited in endorsements outside of the actual game play of the NFL.

College doesn't have anything for playing the actual game or outside of the game technically all the nil is outside of the game but they likely lose it in some cases if they move to a different team.

Sent from my Pixel 6a using Tapatalk
    I’m not the one that brought up the salary cap. As I’ve said here before I don’t see how that hasn’t been struck down before either.

All of this mental gymnastics is just an exercise to divert attention away from the fact that these schools receiving tens of millions of dollars annually from TV deals should be paying their employees.

Figure it out y’all.
    Quote Originally Posted by bulldogg View Post
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

NI4NI is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: McFeely's Tip Sheet: NDSU working toward Alston payments for athletes

Quote Originally Posted by NDSU92 View Post
    All of this mental gymnastics is just an exercise to divert attention away from the fact that these schools receiving tens of millions of dollars annually from TV deals should be paying their employees.

Figure it out y’all.
    Athletes are NOT employees.
    Furthermore, a 6 figure education is not insignificant.

Much of the TV revenue you speak of enables the existence of other sports & programs that simply cannot print black ink.
    Last edited by NI4NI; 03-04-2024 at 01:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NI4NI View Post
    Students are NOT employees.
    Furthermore, a 6 figure education is not insignificant.

Much of the TV revenue you speak of enables the existence of other sports & programs that simply cannot print black ink.
    Please point out where in any US or state law that when someone is a student they are no longer able to be an employee. It doesn’t have to be mutually exclusive, the only reason it’s ever been framed that way is as a cheap excuse to not have to pay the young adults. Furthermore, schools have student employees all over campus doing a myriad of jobs, so the argument goes out the window there as well.

P5 schools that have seen their TV revenue go up by a factor of 10 over the last couple of decades are not spending all the extra money on volleyball and softball lol. Everyone who wears a suit or coach’s polo has been rewarded handsomely, though.
    I truly wish it was the smelly Bisons we were playing Saturday. How could you all have shit the bed like that (SHSU)?
    *one day later*

NI4NI is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Please point out where in any US or state law that when someone is a student they are no longer able to be an employee. It doesn’t have to be mutually exclusive, the only reason it’s ever been framed that way is as a cheap excuse to not have to pay the young adults. Furthermore, schools have student employees all over campus doing a myriad of jobs, so the argument goes out the window there as well.

P5 schools that have seen their TV revenue go up by a factor of 10 over the last couple of decades are not spending all the extra money on volleyball and softball lol. Everyone who wears a suit or coach’s polo has been rewarded handsomely, though.
    I stand corrected. I should have worded it 'Athletes are not employees'.

Quote Originally Posted by NI4NI View Post
    I stand corrected. I should have worded it 'Athletes are not employees'.
    It seems like the universities have been very careful to continue making that distinction. The funds that are being made available to athletes from the institutions themselves are tied to cost of attendance and academic performance--I assume so they can legally be considered financial aid or scholarships. These have limits on them, but they also serve to keep a "student" distinction, meaning the athletes are not eligible for the benefits that regular employees are eligible for--health insurance, retirement, etc. The NIL funds are NOT tied to the universities, which, I believe are not allowed to fund them...that allows them to be unlimited but also allows the universities to wash their hands of the professionalism aspect and continue to argue that college sports are amateur sports. And it allows NIL proponents to argue that all it does is even the playing field for athletes--as if the QB getting a million from a car dealership is the same as the trumpet player getting a couple of hundred for playing in the circus band.

Sure grandma, let’s get you back to bed

Only stupid people are the ones spending that much for a wildly overrated player

Players should be free to make as much money as people are willing to pay them. Why should the government or collective of employers be able to govern how much money a person can make? Quite the slippery slope…
    I paid my dues wearing the green and gold, until injuries ended it...but thanks for the "grandma" comment.

Grandma Nick Saban's recent comments:
    “I thought we could have a hell of a team next year, and then maybe 70 or 80 percent of the players you talk to, all they want to know is two things: What assurances do I have that I’m going to play because they’re thinking about transferring, and how much are you going to pay me?” Saban said.

“Our program here was always built on how much value can we create for your future and your personal development, academic success in graduating and developing an NFL career on the field.
    “So I’m saying to myself, ‘Maybe this doesn’t work anymore, that the goals and aspirations are just different and that it’s all about how much money can I make as a college player?"

Quote Originally Posted by DCinOK View Post
    Grandma Nick Saban's recent comments:
    “I thought we could have a hell of a team next year, and then maybe 70 or 80 percent of the players you talk to, all they want to know is two things: What assurances do I have that I’m going to play because they’re thinking about transferring, and how much are you going to pay me?” Saban said.

“Our program here was always built on how much value can we create for your future and your personal development, academic success in graduating and developing an NFL career on the field.
    “So I’m saying to myself, ‘Maybe this doesn’t work anymore, that the goals and aspirations are just different and that it’s all about how much money can I make as a college player?"
    Sounds like the industry passed him by - good ol’ capitalism. You’re either at the cutting edge or you’re not. There were a lot of other non-southern coaches complaining how the SEC did business (black market booster payments) and apparently our football-philosopher didn’t have problem with that.

If only the “capitalists” in this country were as principled as these “kids” are supposed to be.
    *one day later*

Sounds like the industry passed him by - good ol’ capitalism. You’re either at the cutting edge or you’re not. There were a lot of other non-southern coaches complaining how the SEC did business (black market booster payments) and apparently our football-philosopher didn’t have problem with that.

If only the “capitalists” in this country were as principled as these “kids” are supposed to be.
    Didnt pass him by at all. He just decided he wasnt going to coach in that kind of environment.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Some college athletes are trying to join a union.

Dartmouth men's basketball team votes to unionize, shaking up college sports
    https://www.npr.org/2024/03/05/12358...-election-nlrb
    It's OK to not be OK.