Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: NDSU Center for Engineering and Computational Sciences

AlumniGreen is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: NDSU Center for Engineering and Computational Sciences

I certainly did not have skywalks either. We also did not have a "wellness center." "Wellness" for us was running to our classes to make it in time.

NI4NI is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

My wife's campus was riddled with tunnels and she hated never being outside. There's something to the old fresh air & sunshine thing.

AlumniGreen is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NI4NI View Post
    My wife's campus was riddled with tunnels and she hated never being outside. There's something to the old fresh air & sunshine thing.
    Now-a-Days, so many spend way too much time indoors. I am outside a LOT especially in these incredibly nice Fargo winter days. Being outside helps with your mood and whatnot. Plus you get vitamin D from sunshine.

Quote Originally Posted by AlumniGreen View Post
    Now-a-Days, so many spend way too much time indoors. I am outside a LOT especially in these incredibly nice Fargo winter days. Being outside helps with your mood and whatnot. Plus you get vitamin D from sunshine.
    Agree but let's face it. If you come to NDSU from a normal climate, you are more likely to leave ND if too much time is spent outdoors in -20. IMO, skyways should be tripled with the goal of connecting every building

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    Beauty is in the eye of the mechanical engineer.

Bwahahahahahaha.... Dolve REMAINS!

So all the classroom spaces remain in all it's rugged beauty and it's all new office space
    Gonna take a few shoe horns and a vat of Crisco to fit that in there. <-- I think I just hung a curve ball.

Skyways/skywalks ain't cheap. A good working number is $10k per lineal foot. But they're priceless in a -60F wind chill.

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    I walked from T lot for years and I didn't need no stinking skywalks.
    I can see why a skyway would be nice if you are in a dorm so you don't have to layer up just to get breakfast. I was too cheap to pay for a parking permit so I parked next to the soccer fields south of T lot and one time my eyelashes froze together walking into a strong north wind. The back seat in my little Renault could be taken out by removing two clips so I put my bike back there when it was warm so I didn't have to walk as much.
    It's OK to not be OK.

I agree that the idea of skywalks is attractive when considering the handfull of days when there's 8" of snow and it's below O and blowing like hell. That said, part of education includes 'toughening up' in preparation for the real world. In the real world you will be expected to overcome the elements so you may as well get acclimated to it in college.

Quote Originally Posted by NI4NI View Post
    I agree that the idea of skywalks is attractive when considering the handfull of days when there's 8" of snow and it's below O and blowing like hell. That said, part of education includes 'toughening up' in preparation for the real world. In the real world you will be expected to overcome the elements so you may as well get acclimated to it in college.
    But Microsoft has connectors between their buildings in Fargo. I called them gerbil tunnels because they were just simple, unheated walkways.
    It's OK to not be OK.

Quote Originally Posted by Hammerhead View Post
    But Microsoft has connectors between their buildings in Fargo. I called them gerbil tunnels because they were just simple, unheated walkways.
    And I dare say the average microsoft employee couldn't hang with most of us out in the elements. Hence the "toughening up" remark.