Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: NDSU Center for Engineering and Computational Sciences

Default Re: NDSU Center for Engineering and Computational Sciences

Quote Originally Posted by NI4NI View Post
    And I dare say the average microsoft employee couldn't hang with most of us out in the elements. Hence the "toughening up" remark.
    We're talking college students. Not football players who need to be tough. Trying to convince students to come here for college, stay for 4 years and graduate, and then make Fargo home is the goal. Not to make tough professionals. They will have plenty of opportunity to experience sub zero. Make life as easy as possible. Enrollment is challenge

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

https://thegreenandthegold.com

NI4NI is online now Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    We're talking college students. Not football players who need to be tough. Trying to convince students to come here for college, stay for 4 years and graduate, and then make Fargo home is the goal. Not to make tough professionals. They will have plenty of opportunity to experience sub zero. Make life as easy as possible. Enrollment is challenge
    I disagree. We used to toughen up our kids in their youth. Now we have become a society that insists on shielding youth from anything related to pain, discomfort and effort. Not just physically, but emotionally as well. Now we have a generation that can't even agree on what bathroom to use! Call it "Generation Soft".

We not only had to go out in the sub zero blizzard, we had to stand at the end of the driveway in it waiting for the school bus for what seemed like forever. And we were lucky, we had a bus. The city kids had to walk to school in that weather. I think 18-24 year olds will survive it.

I disagree. We used to toughen up our kids in their youth. Now we have become a society that insists on shielding youth from anything related to pain, discomfort and effort. Not just physically, but emotionally as well. Now we have a generation that can't even agree on what bathroom to use! Call it "Generation Soft".

We not only had to go out in the sub zero blizzard, we had to stand at the end of the driveway in it waiting for the school bus for what seemed like forever. And we were lucky, we had a bus. The city kids had to walk to school in that weather. I think 18-24 year olds will survive it.
    Yeah students that grew up in the Midwest had that toughness before they decided what college to go to.

As far as students going to Nursing school from warmer climates, treating daily life like a military camp is an awful recruiting pitch. They just wont go to college in the Midwest and will stay home. They get a valuable skilled nurse while we can pound our chests and brag about our toughness while bitching about substandard medical care.

That hour wait in the ER may change your mind.

Hard pass

17X National Champions: 65, 68, 69, 83, 85, 86, 88, 90, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 17, 18, 19, 21

Join the Green and the Gold Collective to take Bison football to the next level. Starts at $10 a month

The Green and The Gold Collective is excited to announce our #DriveToFive membership campaign. The goal of this campaign is to get to 500 monthly members. Reaching this goal will help us provide financial support to NDSU student athletes, including every returning member of the football team that saw action on the field last year!

Yeah students that grew up in the Midwest had that toughness before they decided what college to go to.

As far as students going to Nursing school from warmer climates, treating daily life like a military camp is an awful recruiting pitch. They just wont go to college in the Midwest and will stay home. They get a valuable skilled nurse while we can pound our chests and brag about our toughness while bitching about substandard medical care.

That hour wait in the ER may change your mind.

Hard pass
    I'm not so much against the concept, I get it. But every dollar spent should be scrutinized with the question..."Is this the best use of this dollar?"
    Maybe it is? But many of us simply don't think that this scrutiny is being applied?
    That said, my gifts are to the Green and Gold exclusively so none of these dollars at hand come from me so my opinion really do not mean anything. Simply an observation.

I'm not so much against the concept, I get it. But every dollar spent should be scrutinized with the question..."Is this the best use of this dollar?"
    Maybe it is? But many of us simply don't think that this scrutiny is being applied?
    That said, my gifts are to the Green and Gold exclusively so none of these dollars at hand come from me so my opinion really do not mean anything. Simply an observation.
    They are spendy for sure. The real question is will it help in recruitment and retention of students? If yes, is it a justified amount? Arguments could be made for both sides

Maybe it is? But many of us simply don't think that this scrutiny is being applied
    ?
    Are you talking about ND higher ed in general and the “art” of sustaining 11 schools in state of 775k, all while giving NDSU as little as possible?

If so then I agree, but if you are talking about skyways, nobody gaf

Its Fargo ND for christ sake. The student should know what its like there before coming. So whats the ROI for coddling a couple of snowflakes?
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

kab1one is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

During freshman orientation at NDSU with my son I felt NDSU offered everything to attempt to make the 4 years at college stress free.

Didn't understand the instructor- Switch
    Didn't get along with roommate- U could switch roommates or get a single room.
    Class too hard- Tutor services
    Major not for you- They would work with you for a "pivot change"

And to hear these answers it was the parents asking the questions- What if JR doesn't like the teacher, class, major or roommate? The parents don't want the kids to be burdened.

Felt very much that NDSU wanted to get the kid through with a good experience send them to the workplace. Which is a problem because the now worker isn't used to pressure, deadlines and dealing with people they don't like. Had an employee after 3 days told me he doesn't like what he is doing..... I'm like you haven't been here long enough to know what you like or don't like. As you might expect. He didn't last.

Walking from T lot to Dolve for 5 years isn't for pussies.

What I remember was them telling us to look at persons sitting next to us because likely one of us wouldn't be there at the end due to only 50% graduation rate inside engineering.

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    Walking from T lot to Dolve for 5 years isn't for pussies.
    Perfect! Nobody wants to hire/work with pussies either!