Bison up 67 to 58 after 3 quarters.

dufferole is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: At Omaha

Bison win 84 to 70.

Another game with 50 fouls called.

dufferole is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

It was hard to watch. Fortunately, we made free-throws.

What is happening with the women's basketball officials? Why the increase in whistles/fouls? Is it at the behest of the coaches who thought, in years past, that play was getting too physical and it needed to be toned down a bit? Coaches get the officiating they want; if they don't complain, they're seen as being content with the status quo/officiating. Maybe it's the summit league.........maybe they've hired new crews and have more rookie officials working regular season games and maybe, they're not quite up to speed. It would be interesting to see and read the evaluations being handed out. Then again, it just could be this is what the coaches want or wanted.

AlumniGreen is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by southcliffbison View Post
    What is happening with the women's basketball officials? Why the increase in whistles/fouls? Is it at the behest of the coaches who thought, in years past, that play was getting too physical and it needed to be toned down a bit? Coaches get the officiating they want; if they don't complain, they're seen as being content with the status quo/officiating. Maybe it's the summit league.........maybe they've hired new crews and have more rookie officials working regular season games and maybe, they're not quite up to speed. It would be interesting to see and read the evaluations being handed out. Then again, it just could be this is what the coaches want or wanted.
    I have heard there is a shortage of referees in some locales. Probably new refs. I cannot imagine being a referee, having to keep track of everything, eyes in the back of the head, having to run backwards, forwards and so forth.

Eastern foothills of the turtle mountains.

Quote Originally Posted by AlumniGreen View Post
    I have heard there is a shortage of referees in some locales.

Not in Indiana eh.

Lardsin must go!

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

I have heard there is a shortage of referees in some locales. Probably new refs. I cannot imagine being a referee, having to keep track of everything, eyes in the back of the head, having to run backwards, forwards and so forth.
    Definitely at the youth and high school level. There is strong competition at the college level. The people working these games even as new officials have several years of experience and have worked multiple levels of college basketball before they would even be considered by a D1 assigner. So they may be new to the Summit, but they aren't new to college basketball.

If the league or assigner felt they were being too technical on some of the early games calling too many fouls, they would coach them to raise their threshold. At some point, if they consistently have a high number of fouls by both teams, then the players aren't adjusting to what the conferences want called. And Summit officials are likely working Horizon, Mountain West, Missouri Valley, etc. depending on where they live. And some of those conferences use the same assigners. That's a huge difference between basketball and football.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

There definitely is a shortage of officials, particularly basketball referees here in SW Minnesota. I officiated tonight in Adrian, MN; Thursday night I'm in Edgerton, MN, Saturday I'm reffing in SF. I could be working 4 to 5 nights a week if'n I wanted to, but I don't. My brain doesn't want me to, my body doesn't want me to, my wife doesn't want me to. Im 71 yrs old; I should not be working as much as I do. Some how, some way, for some reason, we've lost a whole generation of sports officials, not just basketball officials, but also baseball umpires and football officials. There's a new emphasis by the Minnesota state high school league regarding the recruitment of young people (notice I said young people) ........ladies, this goes for you, too. I hope the MSHSl is successful in their efforts to get more people involved in sports officiating. The pay is decent; the exercise is good for you; I'm just at a loss as to how to get more folks involved in officiating. South Dakota is experiencing the same dilemma.