Page 3 of 23 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: McFeely's DRIVE FOR FIVE at Upcoming UND/BISON Matchup

bisonfan08 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: McFeely's DRIVE FOR FIVE at Upcoming UND/BISON Matchup

Big problem is student attendance is down, when you go from having like 300 students to maybe 50 it's an immediate drain on the energy in the building for gameday. Get on campus and get the students to these games, they keep promoting giveaways but the giveaways suck and most of the time it's only to the first however many students or fans. Most people look at that and go oh I won't make it in time to get that anyway so it's no added incentive.

The schedule this year sucked and the team hasn't been great so that's when the marketing department needs to earn their money. How about a buy one get one free ticket promo for a game or buy tickets for the Saturday game and get Thursday night free or a 12 and under get in free game to make it easier for a family to go. Have a promo night where youth teams can wear their jersey's and the players get in for $1 or something like that, there's plenty of opportunity but as mentioned above, they just don't care.

They aren't even offering a package ticket deal for the double header against UND. You have to buy SEPARATE tickets for each game and at full price...and they are clearing out the arena inbetween games...UNBELIEVABLE!!! The UND games were well attended in Grand Forks because I paid $35 for both games and didn't have to leave my seat. There wasn't even a single game ticket option. There's absolutely no reason there shouldn't be an option to buy for both games at a discount.

The students that show up are barely awake as well. Two octogenarians in front of me bring more energy than the entire student section.

Strommer10 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by bisonfan08 View Post
    Big problem is student attendance is down, when you go from having like 300 students to maybe 50 it's an immediate drain on the energy in the building for gameday. Get on campus and get the students to these games, they keep promoting giveaways but the giveaways suck and most of the time it's only to the first however many students or fans. Most people look at that and go oh I won't make it in time to get that anyway so it's no added incentive.

The schedule this year sucked and the team hasn't been great so that's when the marketing department needs to earn their money. How about a buy one get one free ticket promo for a game or buy tickets for the Saturday game and get Thursday night free or a 12 and under get in free game to make it easier for a family to go. Have a promo night where youth teams can wear their jersey's and the players get in for $1 or something like that, there's plenty of opportunity but as mentioned above, they just don't care.

They aren't even offering a package ticket deal for the double header against UND. You have to buy SEPARATE tickets for each game and at full price...and they are clearing out the arena inbetween games...UNBELIEVABLE!!! The UND games were well attended in Grand Forks because I paid $35 for both games and didn't have to leave my seat. There wasn't even a single game ticket option. There's absolutely no reason there shouldn't be an option to buy for both games at a discount.
    You are spot on here. There feels like such a disconnect between the athletic department and the actual fans/students and it's been that way since Larsen took over.

For a quick comparison, I was at NDSU during the Gene Taylor, Bohl, Saul Phillips days. Occasionally, Saul Phillips would be in the Union promoting games to get students to come out. Then during the games, he would turn around to the student section and get us fired up when a big play happened or there was a big moment in the game. Heck, I remember him talking to students at some points DURING a game. As for Bohl, he would occasionally stop out to the student line outside the FargoDome the morning of the game and he always ran to student section to high five everyone before each home game. I also remember personally talking to Gene Taylor briefly once as a student. Everyone here knows that Gene is a very personable guy and will listen to anybody that had something to say. As a fan/student in that era, I felt appreciated and that we were important to the success of NDSU.

Fast forward to this year. That "personable" feeling couldn't be more opposite with the Larsen, Entz, Richman combo. Larsen feels unresponsive and ignores the average fan/student. And Richman/Entz have never really been personable to the fans and students in my experiences. At least no where near the level of what Bohl & Phillips were when I was a student.

Quote Originally Posted by EC8CH View Post
    The students that show up are barely awake as well. Two octogenarians in front of me bring more energy than the entire student section.
    Yup... check out this video from Dom's twitter of the "standing and making noise the entire game" student section from the 2009/10 season for a conference game against Oakland: https://twitter.com/DomIzzoWDAY/stat...73504285585517

I'm guessing it was a combination of the 2 years of off-campus game and moving the student section from behind the benches to behind the basket but the NDSU student body has forgotten how to impact a game ever since they left the BSA.

Teach the band some new songs. They play the same 3 songs every game at every sport

Y'all don't have a BWW "Brickin' for Chicken" promo going?

Recently an opponent bricked two free throws in the second half and it triggered a free ten wings (?) for everyone at the game.

Quote Originally Posted by roadwarrior View Post
    As moderator, I received an email requesting the thread be deleted. Fat chance!

I am flying up from Florida for the games that week, so McFeely can tally one extra towards the 5,000.

I thought the column was great. Called out NDSU for a lack of effort on marketing. Most people might not be aware, but McFeely attends almost all Bison men's games as a paying fan.
    Many Kudos to roadwarrior for not deleting this message, and also for telling people that there were people suggesting it.

bisonfan08 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sicatoka View Post

Recently an opponent bricked two free throws in the second half and it triggered a free ten wings (?) for everyone at the game.
    Not everyone at the game, everyone at the game who had the UND app....I was not about to put any sort of UND labeled garbage on my phone...thankfully NDSU did not go 0-2 from the line in any trip in either game so I didn't miss out.

We did get 6 free wings for BWW's today for the game going to overtime last night though!

Quote Originally Posted by The_Sicatoka View Post

At NDSU it would trigger a buy one get one free coupon for one row of one section. Apparently Hornbachers can even afford to give a college student more than $25 IF they make a "bean bag". Embarrassing

The movie Semi-Pro has all sorts of good ideas if someone affiliated with NDSU basketball marketing would just watch it....