Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: GDT: Bison at St Thomas

BigLakeBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: GDT: Bison at St Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the head BB coaches do the scheduling? I seriously doubt Dave isn't getting enough money to schedule quality opponents. This is on him IMO.
    Below is the home out of conference schedule this year. There is absolutely no way that this schedule looks like this if Dave is given "enough money" to schedule quality opponents. San Jose State is a quality mid-major opponent. Outside of that there is absolutely no reason for casual fans to be attracted to the SHAC. I could likely see many of these opponents on St. Cloud State's home schedule.

St. Olaf
    Mt. Marty
    UC Davis
    Wisconsin-Stout
    San Jose State
    Portland
    Oak Hills Christian

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the head BB coaches do the scheduling? I seriously doubt Dave isn't getting enough money to schedule quality opponents. This is on him IMO.
    I don't know but I'd assume if he is he's given financial constraints he has to work with. I have no idea why he wouldn't want an all-D1 schedule or why he wouldn't want more quality OOC teams at home. It's obvious those things help you in the long run but they also cost more money.

Quote Originally Posted by KC_Hats View Post
    If I am looking at MBB correctly isn't it fully funded with all scholarships filled (maybe one left open). The arena is new and they have a new practice facility. Other than coaches salaries what more can NDSU spend money on for men's BB?
    JFC, would the football program be what it is if we capped our funding at full scholarships and the baseline facilities? All Div 1 programs have the same number of scholarships available and need to provide a minimum level of facilities and resources in order to field a team. That's the minimum expectation, that's not the ceiling. Right now basketball is being funded at a low level compared to other Div 1 programs. Money does not 100% = wins/success (especially in a specific season or in small sample sizes) but over time increased funding does result in more resources which allow for a more robust program to be built. Our football program is evidence of this. The thought process shouldn't be different for basketball.

I asked you what they would spend the money on and you went on a rant that they spend the bare minimum. What list of things do you have that Men's BB should be spending more money on?

Quote Originally Posted by BigLakeBison View Post
    JFC, would the football program be what it is if we capped our funding at full scholarships and the baseline facilities? All Div 1 programs have the same number of scholarships available and need to provide a minimum level of facilities and resources in order to field a team. That's the minimum expectation, that's not the ceiling. Right now basketball is being funded at a low level compared to other Div 1 programs. Money does not 100% = wins/success (especially in a specific season or in small sample sizes) but over time increased funding does result in more resources which allow for a more robust program to be built. Our football program is evidence of this. The thought process shouldn't be different for basketball.
    Hail The Bison! The March Is Still On!

Someone please post the link showing all athletic funding for every D1 athletic program, I know I've seen it before just can't find it now.

I asked you what they would spend the money on and you went on a rant that they spend the bare minimum. What list of things do you have that Men's BB should be spending more money on?
    Increased coaching salaries (which would allow options other than DR)
    Increased scheduling budget (hopefully fewer Oak Hills Christian games on the schedule)
    Increased recruiting budget (allows us to widen the net of recruits we target and can potentially land)
    Increased marketing budget (to hopefully create some additional excitement and buzz around the program, especially if/when the increased budgets of the first three produce results)

All of these things have been stated numerous times in these threads and are exactly the same types of things that the football program spends far more dollars than our FCS peers on. Yet somehow you play dumb and act like basketball having the max scholarships and an arena means there are no other ways to invest in the program.

AKBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

If I am looking at MBB correctly isn't it fully funded with all scholarships filled (maybe one left open). The arena is new and they have a new practice facility. Other than coaches salaries what more can NDSU spend money on for men's BB?
    This belongs in the hall of shame...we have a bottom half Summit BB (low major conference) facility, spend bottom half dollars on the mbb program to include coaching salaries, absolutely zero marketing support outside of a few social media post, and even worse, have zero reason for fans to care about the program outside of those 3 games in March.

The program has zero momentum right now, I am all for spending money but Richman needs to fired into the sun first and then get a coach that can bring some life back into the program. We are also basically on a treadmill of being average or maybe slighty above average under Richman.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.

totoinfl is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by NDSUstudent View Post
    The program has zero momentum right now, I am all for spending money but Richman needs to fired into the sun first and then get a coach that can bring some life back into the program. We are also basically on a treadmill of being average or maybe slighty above average under Richman.
    Average being? Not picking but I doubt we would be above 500 in more than 2 or 3 conferences. The Summit is not good this year and we are bottom third.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by totoinfl View Post
    Average being? Not picking but I doubt we would be above 500 in more than 2 or 3 conferences. The Summit is not good this year and we are bottom third.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'm talking about Richman's career, not just this year.
    NDSU to the FBS always. In all ways.