Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: GDT: Bison at St Thomas

Default Re: GDT: Bison at St Thomas

Quote Originally Posted by BigLakeBison View Post
    The men’s bb program is 100% a function of ML and the leadership not giving a shit. There is absolutely no reason that we shouldn’t be the cream of the summit crop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You're right and not enough people are asking the tough questions - it's a fact that, as an athletic department, NDSU is the 2nd best funded in the Summit League (second only to a school to the north of us who spends a shit-ton of money on "that sport") while being the least subsidized by far (by percentage) of any school in the conference yet they, by my research, spend the 7th most out of 9 schools in the Summit League (according to this: https://ope.ed.gov/athletics/#/compare/search) on men's basketball ahead of only South Dakota and St Thomas (and this is 2021 data when St Thomas was in their first year of the transition).

Where is all this athletic department money going that's primarily funded by ticket holders and donors? I realize NDSU invests more in football than most of their Summit League peers but I'd love to see someone in the Fargo media hold Larsen's feet to the fire on this. Where is all the 29M+ per year going??? Why is SDSU spending 4M less per year as an athletic department, yet still significantly outspending us in MBB, and still kicking our rear ends in most of the other sports??? One thing that stood out to me from Polasek's introductory press conference was him commenting about how there's so much more athletic department support staff now than there was when he left (which was only in 2016). Makes you go "hmmm"....
    Last edited by Professor Chaos; 01-29-2024 at 04:18 PM.

To add to my rant I'm pretty sure I'm as frustrated with this program as most of the rest of you but the anger directed at Richman is misguided. I actually think he's done a damn good job in his tenure hiding the fact that NDSU men's basketball program is funded in the bottom half of the Summit League which is a low major league by any definition. It's almost too bad he's been as good as he's been because it's taken Larsen off the hook for answering why he doesn't invest in the MBB program.

The only silver lining to this disappointing season continuing, if it does, is that the piper will need to be paid. Fire Richman if you want to Larsen but if you're going to keep investing in the program the way you have you might as well hire a rising D2 head coach for cheap and hope you can catch that Tim Miles lightning in the bottle... who will be gone in 3-4 years anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by ndsubison1 View Post
    A team that was D3 three years ago is better than us and the Summit League sucks this year.
    NDSU is not a serious D1 MBB team.

Quote Originally Posted by BisonJD View Post
    NDSU is not a serious D1 MBB team.
    Ndsu is not serious about d1 basketball
    TRUST THE PROCESS

BigLakeBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    You're right and not enough people are asking the tough questions - it's a fact that, as an athletic department, NDSU is the 2nd best funded in the Summit League (second only to a school to the north of us who spends a shit-ton of money on "that sport") while being the least subsidized by far (by percentage) of any school in the conference yet they, by my research, spend the 7th most out of 9 schools in the Summit League (according to this: https://ope.ed.gov/athletics/#/compare/search) on men's basketball ahead of only South Dakota and St Thomas (and this is 2021 data when St Thomas was in their first year of the transition).

Where is all this athletic department money going that's primarily funded by ticket holders and donors? I realize NDSU invests more in football than most of their Summit League peers but I'd love to see someone in the Fargo media hold Larsen's feet to the fire on this. Where is all the 29M+ per year going??? Why is SDSU spending 4M less per year as an athletic department, yet still significantly outspending us in MBB, and still kicking our rear ends in most of the other sports??? One thing that stood out to me from Polasek's introductory press conference was him commenting about how there's so much more athletic department support staff now than there was when he left (which was only in 2016). Makes you go "hmmm"....
    Not a big fan of Richman and think he does have some accountability for the state of the program but I 100% agree that the majority of the accountability should be placed on ML. There is absolutely no reason that there shouldn't be more emphasis on the basketball programs. I have been asking for years what the vision/plan is for the athletic department. It's very difficult to determine based on how dollars are being spent. I really have almost no idea what they are trying to accomplish as an athletic department.

If I am looking at MBB correctly isn't it fully funded with all scholarships filled (maybe one left open). The arena is new and they have a new practice facility. Other than coaches salaries what more can NDSU spend money on for men's BB?
    Hail The Bison! The March Is Still On!

Quote Originally Posted by KC_Hats View Post
    If I am looking at MBB correctly isn't it fully funded with all scholarships filled (maybe one left open). The arena is new and they have a new practice facility. Other than coaches salaries what more can NDSU spend money on for men's BB?
    All of our sports have been fully funded for awhile now.
    If we concentrated on the really important stuff in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles"

When you play football, you gotta like the taste of blood, And 50 percent of the time, it's your blood.

It is characteristic of the unlearned that they are forever proposing something which is old, and because it has recently come to their own attention, supposing it to be new.

"The best way to get the right answer on the internet is not to ask a question; it's to post the wrong answer."

Scheduling? Having Mount Marty, Wisconsin Stout and Oak Hills Christian as "home wins" is embarrassing. That doesn't count the exhibition game. Problem is, Dave doesn't seem to value non-conference games so we just get embarrassed by quality opponents anyway.

Remember, those games in March are all that matter. Having those 3 "wins" count on our record is nice until we get to March.

With the current regime's indifference to making men's basketball a bigger focus, I'm not sure throwing more money at it improves anything.

Eventually, Cook needs to make some changes.
    North Dakota State, a football team the big boys of college football should avoid like the plague, helped christen a $90 million renovation to Snyder Family Stadium — including a statue of famed Kansas State coach Bill Snyder himself — by taking a sledgehammer to the place.
    Bob Lutz, The Wichita Eagle, August 30th, 2013

Spendijg money to schedule quality (home) OOC games, increasing recruiting budget, and increasing coaching salaries. That's what separates NDSU, and the Summit League, from mid-majors that can produce teams that compete with high majors and produce teams higher than 12 seeds in the tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Spendijg money to schedule quality (home) OOC games, increasing recruiting budget, and increasing coaching salaries. That's what separates NDSU, and the Summit League, from mid-majors that can produce teams that compete with high majors and produce teams higher than 12 seeds in the tournament.
    Correct me if I'm wrong but doesn't the head BB coaches do the scheduling? I seriously doubt Dave isn't getting enough money to schedule quality opponents. This is on him IMO.