Page 9 of 13 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Roehl leaves to Tennessee State as OC

AlumniGreen is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Default Re: Roehl leaves to Tennessee State as OC

I see Oprah Winfrey is an alumna of Tennessee State.

Quote Originally Posted by AlumniGreen View Post
    I get a kick out of some of you guys soiling yourself over Tyler and how the OC bar was raised under him. But what about that "Fire Roehl, Save the Season" thread which reached - I don't know - how many pages. Which one is it?
    What I get a kick out of is all the people who cling to opinions that are demonstrably wrong based on a plethora of objective data. It's no longer surprising but I don't understand it.
    Don't believe everything you think.

Does this move "de-pud" Tenn State?

semobison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by AlumniGreen View Post
    I see Oprah Winfrey is an alumna of Tennessee State.
    Tennessee State was a woman’s Track & Field powerhouse back in the day. The great Wilma Rudolph was an alumni!

IndyBison is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by MyOhMy View Post
    He's working under Eddie George?? FFS WTH has he ever coached? IMO there's nowhere to go but down with the ship as he burns the Tennessee St program to the ground. Even the TN St fans don't know what he's doing there.
    He's been the head coach there for 3 seasons. Around .500 each season in the OVC. They are an HBCU in a non HBCU conference. He may not be an elite coach, but he's learning and not playing the "look at me" game that Prime does.

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

heckler is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by HerdBot View Post
    I dont see how being a successful OC at a mediocre FCS program in a 1 bid league makes him more polished.

Now if he goes to a Power 5 team he would
    I am not understanding this either but good for him?

Just spit balling here but we know that Roehl has interviewed for at least 3 jobs in the past 2+ years that he didn't get:
    1) ETSU head coach after the 2021 season (who knows why he was turned down for that one but probably lack of experience would be the most plausible reason)
    2) NDSU head coach after the 2023 season (presumably turned down because of lack of experience and network outside of NDSU)
    3) Wisconsin TE coach after the 2023 season (presumably turned down because of lack of recruiting experience/ties outside of the Dakotas)

Maybe Tennessee St and Coach George are providing him with some needed expansion of his recruiting ties as he tries to remove the strikes made against him in past??? I would anticipate his stay at TSU will be short-lived and I still wonder whether he would've had better opportunities by sticking around at NDSU for another year but who knows how long he's been shopping himself and how many other jobs he's interviewed and been turned down for so maybe he just felt he needed to bite the bullet and take the step down/pay cut so he can raise his coaching ceiling in the future???

Quote Originally Posted by Professor Chaos View Post
    Just spit balling here but we know that Roehl has interviewed for at least 3 jobs in the past 2+ years that he didn't get:
    1) ETSU head coach after the 2021 season (who knows why he was turned down for that one but probably lack of experience would be the most plausible reason)
    2) NDSU head coach after the 2023 season (presumably turned down because of lack of experience and network outside of NDSU)
    3) Wisconsin TE coach after the 2023 season (presumably turned down because of lack of recruiting experience/ties outside of the Dakotas)

Maybe Tennessee St and Coach George are providing him with some needed expansion of his recruiting ties as he tries to remove the strikes made against him in past??? I would anticipate his stay at TSU will be short-lived and I still wonder whether he would've had better opportunities by sticking around at NDSU for another year but who knows how long he's been shopping himself and how many other jobs he's interviewed and been turned down for so maybe he just felt he needed to bite the bullet and take the step down/pay cut so he can raise his coaching ceiling in the future???
    Chaos, all the same questions I have. My gut says he should have stuck around waiting for a P4 position coach offer. Now, and yes he stirs the pot, but McFeely seems to think that "not all is fine in Graceland." To me, up to this point, it had seemed almost a seamless transition, but I think there must be a little truth that something is off. (My speculation is ML dropped the ball somehow and McFeely alluded to this.) That could easily be the right kind of "push" he needed to take this partial step down figuring it is still outside experience.

I do think Tim P and TR probably coordinated the timing of all of this to minimize impacts on the program and for that I am grateful.

AlumniGreen is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by THEsocalledfan View Post
    Chaos, all the same questions I have. My gut says he should have stuck around waiting for a P4 position coach offer. Now, and yes he stirs the pot, but McFeely seems to think that "not all is fine in Graceland." To me, up to this point, it had seemed almost a seamless transition, but I think there must be a little truth that something is off. (My speculation is ML dropped the ball somehow and McFeely alluded to this.) That could easily be the right kind of "push" he needed to take this partial step down figuring it is still outside experience.
    I sometimes think that us women are the drama queens but now I see you menfolk have plenty of it, too. There did not have to be an ulterior motive to all of this. There did not have to be any in-fighting or backstabbing going on in the football offices at the DOME. Maybe a spur of the moment decision on Tyler's part or maybe he just wanted to live in a warmer clime for a while, too. Sometimes people do things because....... I am guessing McFeely gets kind of excited in his "extremities" when he can find a reason to find a crack in the Bison veneer and get some clickbait while he is at it. (How many Dragon coaches when they leave MSUM get breaking news in the Forum???)