Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: GDT vs Montana

Default Re: GDT vs Montana

Only games that matter are the 3 in March as stated by some earlier. Dave coaches for a 3 game season in March
    "Sometimes a concept is baffling not because it is profound but because it is wrong" E. O. Wilson

"I'm not crazy my mother had me tested". Sheldon Cooper

My boss hates it when I shorten his name to Dick, mainly because his name is Steven.

Kujava23 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Big Bird View Post
    So they go into the last non-conference game against EWU, with a non-con record of 4-7 against D1 teams, with all 7 losses by double digits.

That doesn't seem great, especially when they're not playing P5 teams and playing against what you would hope would be peer mid majors.
    THIS IS A GREAT POINT!!!

Can only HOPE team gets better---regardless what BISON03 says-----I don't like watching Richman coached teams

I don't have any idea what Skunberg did but it wouldn't surprise me if deep down Richman is happy they lost this game so he can teach a lesson.

I'm getting really tired of hearing Richman catch phrases about "culture" and "process" - he acts like his program has the clout and pedigree of the football program when it's nowhere near that. Skunberg seems to be his new Paul Miller - he gets benched on the same night an ND guy who Richman didn't recruit because he had an attitude goes off for 36 against them. NDSU basketball needs a new direction and a fresh start. It's definitely possible a new coach doesn't replicate Richman's success or even comes up short but it's been 10 years under Richman. You've gotta roll the dice on someone new at some point instead of hoping you roll a 7 each year when you only have one die.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Meaty View Post
    Only games that matter are the 3 in March as stated by some earlier. Dave coaches for a 3 game season in March
    Love that 16 seed mentality.

bisonfan08 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Regarding the Boden situation, he's been killing us for about a month now, he's been forcing things and playing selfishly and I've called it out and asked the question why he continues to play 38 minutes when he plays like that and instead of bringing that number down to 30 minutes to make a point I guess Dave decided to just average it out by benching him an entire game, we'll see if it helps. It was pretty evident last night that Morgs and Miller are easily our two best players and they should be getting the most touches in a game and not Boden but seems that he was unwilling to let that be the case and it's been hurting us. We could definitely use his help on the defensive end but need him to play his role on the offensive end, hopefully he comes back ready to do just that.

As far as the game itself went, it was the best we've played in the last 4 games so at least a step in the right direction. I didn't leave furious like I did on Friday, there were a few sloppy turnovers that need to be cleaned up but offensively I thought we played really well. Defensively, we did not play bad enough to give up 96 points, Moody was just on fire, I'd say there was solid defense on him about 85% of the time and he'd just make the shot with a hand right in his face, unless you're going to double him every time that's the best you can hope for and he just made the tough shots all night long. I hate that kid with a passion but he played a great game. We also had some really bad calls go against us in the first half while we weren't getting any on our end, the few times Montana did throw up bad shots the refs bailed them out. It put us in a hole we just couldn't climb out of. Montana is a good team and they played a great game, we played a great game at their place and they just returned the favor.

The good news is there's no team in the Summit that runs their offense with a guy like Moody running through 4 or 5 screens a possession, Bruner, Mayo and McBride all score more with the ball in their hands so if we play that well offensively and continue to improve defensively we'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by bisonfan08 View Post
    Regarding the Boden situation, he's been killing us for about a month now, he's been forcing things and playing selfishly and I've called it out and asked the question why he continues to play 38 minutes when he plays like that and instead of bringing that number down to 30 minutes to make a point I guess Dave decided to just average it out by benching him an entire game, we'll see if it helps. It was pretty evident last night that Morgs and Miller are easily our two best players and they should be getting the most touches in a game and not Boden but seems that he was unwilling to let that be the case and it's been hurting us. We could definitely use his help on the defensive end but need him to play his role on the offensive end, hopefully he comes back ready to do just that.

As far as the game itself went, it was the best we've played in the last 4 games so at least a step in the right direction. I didn't leave furious like I did on Friday, there were a few sloppy turnovers that need to be cleaned up but offensively I thought we played really well. Defensively, we did not play bad enough to give up 96 points, Moody was just on fire, I'd say there was solid defense on him about 85% of the time and he'd just make the shot with a hand right in his face, unless you're going to double him every time that's the best you can hope for and he just made the tough shots all night long. I hate that kid with a passion but he played a great game. We also had some really bad calls go against us in the first half while we weren't getting any on our end, the few times Montana did throw up bad shots the refs bailed them out. It put us in a hole we just couldn't climb out of. Montana is a good team and they played a great game, we played a great game at their place and they just returned the favor.

The good news is there's no team in the Summit that runs their offense with a guy like Moody running through 4 or 5 screens a possession, Bruner, Mayo and McBride all score more with the ball in their hands so if we play that well offensively and continue to improve defensively we'll be fine.
    Well said...Boden is a head case with a horrible attitude. Hopefully a night on the couch makes him realize this program is bigger than he is. It is hard to beat a team when a guy like that goes off and we still almost came back and beat them. I like where we seat headed into conference play.

I guess I don't understand the coaching decision behind this though. Why hasn't Dave been sitting him during games? Why has he been playing him as many minutes as he has been?? Why did it need to get to the point he's not even in the building??? None of that makes any sense to me. Dave's got some explaining to do about his coaching decisions in previous games if that's what this suspension was about.

bisonfan08 is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Quote Originally Posted by Bisonator98 View Post
    I guess I don't understand the coaching decision behind this though. Why hasn't Dave been sitting him during games? Why has he been playing him as many minutes as he has been?? Why did it need to get to the point he's not even in the building??? None of that makes any sense to me. Dave's got some explaining to do about his coaching decisions in previous games if that's what this suspension was about.
    I don't disagree at all, I've said for a month Boden should be subbed out when he plays selfishly or poorly just like everyone else and have the minutes reduced. I'll give Dave one benefit of the doubt here in that he knows Boden and what makes him tick better than any of us and there's always the chance he thinks putting him on the bench more during games wouldn't have helped or could've caused some sort of blow up or something and thought this was the better way to handle it. But in the last 4 games that weren't Oak Hills he played 37, 38, 34 and 37 minutes...why not bring that down to 30? Only logical thing would be that then he thought Boden would just try to get his 20 shots up in 30 minutes instead but then just leave him on the bench. It was very evident last night our offense was more efficient without him, the defense however was not, need Boden to realize where he brings the most value but I think he's trying so hard to live up to that preseason All-Conference hype that's he's trying to force his way into it.

I don't disagree at all, I've said for a month Boden should be subbed out when he plays selfishly or poorly just like everyone else and have the minutes reduced. I'll give Dave one benefit of the doubt here in that he knows Boden and what makes him tick better than any of us and there's always the chance he thinks putting him on the bench more during games wouldn't have helped or could've caused some sort of blow up or something and thought this was the better way to handle it. But in the last 4 games that weren't Oak Hills he played 37, 38, 34 and 37 minutes...why not bring that down to 30? Only logical thing would be that then he thought Boden would just try to get his 20 shots up in 30 minutes instead but then just leave him on the bench. It was very evident last night our offense was more efficient without him, the defense however was not, need Boden to realize where he brings the most value but I think he's trying so hard to live up to that preseason All-Conference hype that's he's trying to force his way into it.
    But he's proven he doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt because it should have been fixed by now!

Mr Pep Band is offline Senior Member Gets their mail at the West Parking Lot

Accountability for both success and failures comes down to the person in charge. This is all on Richman. If the team can't perform and win games like this it is recruiting, development, and or coaching. Saying "culture" is one thing, actually seeing it on the court is another. I DON'T see it, i hear about it a lot, but there is observable evidence to support it.

I don't think I'll go to anymore men's games this season.